Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2022, 01:24 PM   #1
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Any knife enthusiasts?

Anyone enjoy collecting knives? I have a modest collection but get a kick out of it. A freind of mine makes them from scratch, I donated some scrap lumber for handles and he's making one for me currently, he does excellent work so I'm excited to see what he comes up with.
Current EDC is a little CRKT Endorser. I had a VERY little Klein tools tanto folder that was my EDC for years but it magically grew legs. Still sad about that one. Mostly get used for cleaning fingernails but can't imagine leaving the house without one.

So, what do you like to collect or carry?
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 01:25 PM   #2
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 01-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #3
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol that's a sword.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:28 PM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like watching them get built on Forged in Fire, that's about it. I have a few, but I wouldn't imagine it is something I ever would leave the house with, other than going camping.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:57 PM   #5
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I love cool knives.

My favourite one I own is a Benchmade Mini Barrage with spring-assisted opening. It's basically like a switchblade and awesome for one-handed opening. My only issue is it is hard to sharpen. I have the blade that is serrated on the bottom half, which is awesome for chewing through tough stuff, but it's a total PITA to sharpen.

I did take it to the dealer to look at getting a different blade, which he said Benchmade would have to do the switch themselves. If you try to take these spring-assisted knives apart yourself apparently they're basically impossible to put back together and have them function as smooth as new. The problem is - as of last year when I went to do this - the spring-assisted opening isn't legal here right now, so the guy figured we'd send the knife to Benchmade in the USA and it would never make it back through customs.

My EDC now is kind of goofy, but I can't help but love it. It's a super cheap Milwaukee utility knife. It's nice because I can still flick it open with one hand, which is important to me. I also like that it is small (like my Benchmade) because it fits very easily in my pocket (knife on inside of pocket, clip over top of pocket). The other great thing is I just slap a new blade in it every week. Half-way through the week I turn the blade around. This way I always have a super sharp knife.

Only issue is the Milwaukee is kind of loud looking with the red and it doesn't have that premium feel I have with the Benchmade.

Does anybody know if any of the really good brands make a utility knife like the Milwaukee, but in higher quality?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 02:02 PM   #6
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very nice. I've always wanted to try a Benchmade, but never found one that I liked the action on. The one you have Sliver looks like one I'd enjoy. My hangup though, not Benchmades fault. Beautiful knives.

Box cutters/utilities are great. If you want a high quality one, check out Snap On. Part #UTK150, I have one in the shop and will never go back to the cheap plastic ####.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 02:29 PM   #7
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I collected for a little while, mostly fantasy-style/display over functional. Haven't in quite some time, though.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #8
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Many of mine end up as display or stay in their box as well, I have another hangup with using quality knives for... you know, the job you would require a quality knife for. Especially fixed blades when camping.
I beat the #### out Gerbers and Schrades for that so I don't feel bad after.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:52 PM   #9
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I collected for a little while, mostly fantasy-style/display over functional. Haven't in quite some time, though.
Like r/mallninja####?
Old 01-03-2022, 03:08 PM   #10
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
A
Are those legal? Are they switch blades, which I thought were illegal at one time.

A few months ago I was walking and found one just like that on a road I was crossing.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #11
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Perfectly legal. It's not an automatic opening (switchblade) or centrifugal force opening (butterfly) knife so it's fine. Just a pocket knife.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:16 PM   #12
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine has a button that you push and the blade snaps out. Still legal? I'm not sure if the one pictured works that way.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:18 PM   #13
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Do you guys just carry knives around with you all the time?
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #14
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
You don’t?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #15
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Mine has a button that you push and the blade snaps out. Still legal? I'm not sure if the one pictured works that way.
So, like, if you put it on the table and just pressed a button it would flick open?

Yeah, that's illegal.

Or do you have to start the blade opening by pushing the blade with your thumb or forefinger and then a spring kicks in and assists it in opening super fast?

Those are pretty much legal and can - at times - be bought at normal stores. Sometimes they can't get them in because somebody at customs thinks they're illegal. Seems like a grey area on the assisted-opening knives, but I doubt you'd have anything to worry about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 03:23 PM   #16
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the butter variety!

Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 03:25 PM   #17
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but I only started because at my job I'm always cutting straps and boxes and other weird things. Just became handy to have all the time so now, yes, it's as much a part of my EDC as my wallet.

I keep my knives super small because I don't like or need a big long blade. I don't have a knife for self defense or anything.

If I went back to an office job I doubt I'd bother with a knife anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 03:37 PM   #18
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Those are pretty much legal and can - at times - be bought at normal stores. Sometimes they can't get them in because somebody at customs thinks they're illegal. Seems like a grey area on the assisted-opening knives, but I doubt you'd have anything to worry about.
Some amendments were made a few years back, and like you say, created a grey area on assisted knives. By definition, they are not automatic openers but of course interpretation by a LEO is everything.
At that point, it's intent. If you strut into a Napa wearing your bib overalls with a 3" spring assisted knife in your pocket, no one is gonna think twice or care. Getting ushered into your seat at the Flames game is a different story.

By definition, technically you're ok to pack a visible 3' long katana on your back down the street. In practice, you're gonna have a bad time.

Common sense and you'll be fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 03:59 PM   #19
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I train in Bujinkan, so I can feel a little bit like Link with my EDC mix depending on what we are learning at the moment LOL

Here’s my obligatory shout out to a friend who forges blades. He’s really good at knives, and he’s local. Hesterman Customs

I carry at least one blade with me and it’s usually a simple 3” cutco folding pocket knife that fits on my keychain. I sharpen it once a month or so and that’s probably excessive.

I feel for your loss of the Klein!

Sliver, I’ll ask around my crew for commercial grade utility knife recommendations.

Last edited by SeeGeeWhy; 01-03-2022 at 04:03 PM.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 04:08 PM   #20
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, they’re just useful.

Defence wise, not as much.

I carry an 8” kobo with me at all times (usually wood, sometimes alloy) for defence. You can do just as much damage with that as a blade and be pretty sure your opponent won’t be able to harm you as much as if they took your steel and turned it against you.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote