Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #1561
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The airport stores are pretty outrageous but the markup on booze in the airport will be much higher. Unless you're buying duty free on the way out. Is that even allowed? $4 for a bottle of coke seems like a small price to pay to avoid paying $6 per drink on the plane, which will probably be less than half the size.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #1562
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, if it was me, I'd just buy the drink on the plane instead of secretly mixing drinks in the airport bathroom to save a few bucks. Actually, I'd skip the airplane drinking altogether and buy a nice drink where I was going instead.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #1563
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I hate drinking on airplanes. Even just 1 drink to relax makes me want to have a cigarette. No way I could torture myself like that on a long haul flight to europe.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #1564
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What giant 4 engine plane landed at about 1 pm? Was outside and noticed it, I almost never notice planes near the house, but this one I did.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #1565
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

RAF C-17 transport.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #1566
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

WestJet has just announced YYC-Denver. Flights will run March 8 to October 28. Daily flight. I'm guessing this is a shot at Frontier planning to operate the route.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...142017:twitter
Old 08-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #1567
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
WestJet has just announced YYC-Denver. Flights will run March 8 to October 28. Daily flight. I'm guessing this is a shot at Frontier planning to operate the route.

Awesome but the link says March 8 to June 27. I was hoping that Westjet would start flying to Denver and hopefully they extend this year round flights. Now it is time for some Seattle flights!
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #1568
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

That June 27 date is the end of the intro pricing flight period.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #1569
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That June 27 date is the end of the intro pricing flight period.
Right. I see that now. I was slightly confused.

Too bad the Flames don't have any games down in Denver in March or April. I really like Denver and the Pepsi Center and I expect that tickets down there should be really cheap this season.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 08-14-2017 at 12:03 PM.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #1570
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
This may not be the best thread to post this question so please bare with me.

Flying off to Europe this week and the airline we are flying (Edelweiss Air) I believe charges for alcoholic beverages. I am just wondering if any small bottles of alcohol purchased past security are able to be consumed in the air? I am talking about the ones that are served on flights.

I don't want sound like a cheapskate but if I can get a 3-4 glasses of wine for dinner for my father and me on the flight for a fraction of the cost ($10 a bottle??) why wouldn't I?

I can't ever recall flying to Europe and having to pay for alcohol.

Thanks
Google it.... not worth the risk IMO.

Quote:
That’s what Lucy Yallop found on her flight from Newcastle, England, to Alicante, Spain. She tried to spike her orange juice with a mini of Absolut Vodka she’d brought onto the flight, but was called out by the flight crew. She was greeted by two Spanish police officers and three security guards when she landed, and then had to find a different return flight home.
https://vinepair.com/booze-news/alcohol-plane-arrest/

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #1571
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from my first trip using the new international terminal. I don't see all the fuss is about. While I can't speak to the experience at the US terminal, my experience at terminal E was great. Could have been the time I was flying (early Sunday morning), but I had no issues with check in, security, food options, getting to my gate, etc.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #1572
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody dealt with the iPads outta the cases deal yet? I have a golf trip planned to Myrtle Beach at the end of the month and my iPad is a pain in the ass to take outta the case. Not sure if I should just leave the case at home or if I can leave it in it.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #1573
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Awesome but the link says March 8 to June 27. I was hoping that Westjet would start flying to Denver and hopefully they extend this year round flights. Now it is time for some Seattle flights!
I read that DEN service will be extended to year round.

Seattle is probably less likely, it's a fairly saturated market.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #1574
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Anybody dealt with the iPads outta the cases deal yet? I have a golf trip planned to Myrtle Beach at the end of the month and my iPad is a pain in the ass to take outta the case. Not sure if I should just leave the case at home or if I can leave it in it.
Nice brag.

You don't have to take your tablets out of their cases, but you do have to take them out of your bag.

Side note, I've deliberately tested the system in Calgary by not taking my tablet out and no one has batted an eye. I've gotten thru several times at the international terminal.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #1575
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Nice brag.

You don't have to take your tablets out of their cases, but you do have to take them out of your bag.

Side note, I've deliberately tested the system in Calgary by not taking my tablet out and no one has batted an eye. I've gotten thru several times at the international terminal.

Sweet! Just outta the bag works for me. As for the golf, (should go in the golf thread) feel free to join us next year! It is a 4/possible day handicap tourney that has around 3000 players. Guaranteed 4 rounds and 4 different tracks and all you can eat/drink from 6pm-9pm for those 4 days. Cost is $525 but you also get a gift bag with about $300ish worth of goodies too. I've met some great friends over the years there that relax and don't take it too seriously. What's even better is that some flights run a side skins game and you can pay for your whole trip and then some with one birdie. Buddy from my hometown last year took home 2500 cash.

Now if only there were better flight options to get there, west jet if you are reading this can we get a Saturday arrival instead of a Sunday??
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #1576
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Couldn't have asked for a better destinations. It seems half my inlaws are in Denver now, and flying there was always pretty finicky.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #1577
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are there any options direct to Miami in December? I'm not find any online, but I thought WestJet flew into Miami or Fort Lauderdale...Unless I'm going crazy?
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:05 PM   #1578
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Are there any options direct to Miami in December? I'm not find any online, but I thought WestJet flew into Miami or Fort Lauderdale...Unless I'm going crazy?
WestJet will operate YYC-FLL non stop on Saturdays this winter.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Art Vandelay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 05:35 AM   #1579
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Just to clarify, you haven't had to take tablets out of your bag for many years now. I think that is what Croflames is thinking of. A laptop computer, yes, but iPads aren't required to be removed.

What you're talking about is something specifically going to the US, and just started recently. If you are chosen for secondary screening you may be required to remove it from its case. It may happen to crew as well, and our work iPads are also in cases that are quite difficult to remove.

I'm not sure how frequently they really are getting people to take the case off their tablets; it hasn't happened to me yet. Personally I would (and do) leave it in the case, and if they decide to search it I'll just struggle to get it open for them.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #1580
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I flew to Halifax a couple weeks ago and was selected for secondary screening*. I had to take my e-reader (original Kobo) out of its case.

*secondary screening was great. It allowed my to bypass the long regular security line and go into the priority line after the screening (which took all of 2 minutes). I'm guessing secondary screen probably saved me at least 20 minutes.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc