Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #521
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
Round this SOB in one of the garden beds today.
Scared the bejezus out of me.

Spoiler!
Kill it with fire. Probably the safe bet is to just burn the house down.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #522
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

So after about 3 weeks straight of wet weather the weeds in the lawn have grown out of control. The lawn is about 3 years old and has never been sprayed or treated, but this year is by far the worst. I did try weed b gone earlier this summer and that did nothing. I cut the lawn often but the weeds grow back. This year is by far the worst which I assume is related to all the rain.

What is the best way to get rid of a ton of weeds on lawn and is it too late in the season to do something? I am hoping to find something at Home Depot, Lowes etc that is actually effective.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #523
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spring before they blossom and fall. Hit them in late sept. Hit them again in spring. You aren't going to get rid of all of them, but it will be a good start.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #524
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
So after about 3 weeks straight of wet weather the weeds in the lawn have grown out of control. The lawn is about 3 years old and has never been sprayed or treated, but this year is by far the worst. I did try weed b gone earlier this summer and that did nothing. I cut the lawn often but the weeds grow back. This year is by far the worst which I assume is related to all the rain.

What is the best way to get rid of a ton of weeds on lawn and is it too late in the season to do something? I am hoping to find something at Home Depot, Lowes etc that is actually effective.
If the weeds are really out of control I would let the pros spray the weeds. To prevent future weeds I find that just applying fertilizer in the spring and fall works well along with not cutting the grass too short. Longer grass will generally out-compete the weeds.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #525
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking to get some advice for a start up garden. My wife and I are looking to get a garden started up in our backyard. Probably start up small and then grow. For now tomatoes, potatoes and carrots. Any advice?

Was thinking of getting raised beds and planting the necessary vegetables. We might even think about spices (mostly cilantro, lol).
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #526
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post

If it's truly bad buy a large Killex that attaches to your hose. Be very careful spraying it.

Truth be told though, a couple hand spray bottles of Killex might be enough. You only need to spray even a large dandelion with one squirt.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #527
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Looking to get some advice for a start up garden. My wife and I are looking to get a garden started up in our backyard. Probably start up small and then grow. For now tomatoes, potatoes and carrots. Any advice?

Was thinking of getting raised beds and planting the necessary vegetables. We might even think about spices (mostly cilantro, lol).
One of those big bags with garden soil is a good start. Every year you will need to replenish the soil with new compost.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #528
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post

Keep in mind tomatoes need plenty of sun/warmth so the location is important. If you're growing them from seed you may need to start them indoors.

Carrots are easy to grow, often helps to start rows at different times so you have some mature later. Potatoes grow well too, though you have to mound soil around them as they grow and I've heard you shouldn't grow them at the same spot two years in a row; they are good for improving soil for other plants in future years. Herbs are also pretty easy to grow if you wait until it's warm enough, though some can struggle with cold nights (e.g. basil). If you're growing chives keep them contained or they'll spread everywhere.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #529
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah, no manure where you plant potatoes, it can cause potato scab.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #530
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, finally finished my summer project, concluded with 3 trips to the dump to get rid of clay...Kijiji failed me.

The purpose of the project was to widen the driveway, as it is long, but you have to shuffle vehicles. So now I can drive one past the other. The reason I went with brick is because the city said I could not do anything permanent like concrete or asphalt, but brick was OK.

I also wanted to deal with the retaining wall, as it was ugly and made shovelling snow difficult. The other issue was that the sidewalk to the front of the house had reverted back to gravel. Concrete just disintegrated.

This summer seamed like a good time time for the project, as I had 4 day weekends thanks to the crap economy. Note that I have never done concrete, brickwork or wall building before. The internet helped me, and my friend is a concrete guy, though he had only done foundations and footings, never anything finished before.
Spoiler!

Anyway, there is the project. Took a bit longer than I thought but we went away twice over the summer and the rain didn't help. Looking forward to seeing it when all the flowers are out and grass has returned!
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #531
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Well done Fuzz! Looks really sharp. I love the subtle angles - shows a bit of thought guy went into it vs shortest possible path.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #532
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

How did the fescue seeds work out? I used some fescue this summer in my yard but found it wasn't germinating very well. I had to try putting down seeds a few times and I just wasn't getting good growth. Had to switch seeds after I got frustrated with the poor growth.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #533
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The stuff I planted in the spring didn't do to well. But I didn't really put much effort into it. This time I covered it in compost, which is the recommended method. There were a few spots I had done initially on bare dirt(not overseeding) and they did well without competition. Then the city dug it up when they tore the sidewalk out :/ . In general the stuff with existing grass you could see patches that took. The fescue is a darker green so it is identifiable. I'll probably have to wait until spring to see if this works, I'll try to do a 'fescue update' occasionally as the theory of it sounds great. We will see. I think fall is a better time for seeding anyway, as long as the snow holds off for a month. I don't think my seeds in the spring were given enough water and attention.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #534
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Impressive!!!!
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Methanolic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #535
Buckwheat's barber
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The stuff I planted in the spring didn't do to well. But I didn't really put much effort into it. This time I covered it in compost, which is the recommended method. There were a few spots I had done initially on bare dirt(not overseeding) and they did well without competition. Then the city dug it up when they tore the sidewalk out :/ . In general the stuff with existing grass you could see patches that took. The fescue is a darker green so it is identifiable. I'll probably have to wait until spring to see if this works, I'll try to do a 'fescue update' occasionally as the theory of it sounds great. We will see. I think fall is a better time for seeding anyway, as long as the snow holds off for a month. I don't think my seeds in the spring were given enough water and attention.
I don't want to say I told you so, but…

Are you establishing from scratch or overseeding, and what variety of sheep fescue?
Sheep fescue is a bunch grass – it does not spread by rhizomes and is not a competitive grass. If you are establishing a new turf, then seeding with sheep fescue alone will work well. It can be mixed with hard and creeping fescues and similar low maintenance blue grasses. Overseeding on an existing home lawni is not a good choice.
Whatever you decide, good luck.

Let's say you have success (Very unlikely) establishing sheep fescue in your existing turf. The issue you will then have, is with maintenance. The weekly cutting of your existing turf will not jive well with sheep fescue. Sheep fescue does not tolerate being cut more than twice, maybe three times in a season - the sheep fescue will eventually thin out and be consumed by your original turf. You'll notice stand-alone sheep fescue often used in some golf course roughs and other low maintenance areas.

Hope this helps, and again, good luck.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #536
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, and I do remember that. My wife is a bit stubborn on this so I'm letting her run with it. Well, I'm doing the work....The plan was to seed, get it established then not water the lawn and hopefully the old stuff would die out. The flaw in that plan was that we didn't get Calgary's usual dry summer. Stupid rain. Anyway we will see how it goes. As you can see I do have one large section that shouldn't have any old grass to get in the way so we have a bit of an experiment running.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #537
Buckwheat's barber
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Thanks, and I do remember that. My wife is a bit stubborn on this so I'm letting her run with it. Well, I'm doing the work....The plan was to seed, get it established then not water the lawn and hopefully the old stuff would die out. The flaw in that plan was that we didn't get Calgary's usual dry summer. Stupid rain. Anyway we will see how it goes. As you can see I do have one large section that shouldn't have any old grass to get in the way so we have a bit of an experiment running.
Your existing turf will not die out because of a lack of water. Residential lawns, regardless of the Kentucky/fescue mix percentage, is extremely drought tolerant. It could reach a state of dormancy, but that is really all that can be expected. Even dew from cool nights combined with warm temperatures during the day, can sustain home lawns to survive and grow.

I would recommend stripping the existing turf with a sod cutter, adding whatever soil you need and seed as directed. Fall is the ideal time.

Good luck with your project.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #538
FleuryFan89
Draft Pick

Sorry to rehash a thread I know very late in the season. But has anyone seen any places still blowing out trees for the end of the season. Meant to pick up a few trees a couple weeks ago and obviously didn't. I am open to options if anyone has seen anyone still selling them

Thanks
FleuryFan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #539
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like my neighbour and I have a minor case of voles in the front yard.

What's the protocol here? Once the ground thaws rake up the dead grass, mow the lawn short, and hope they go away?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #540
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Looks like my neighbour and I have a minor case of voles in the front yard.

What's the protocol here? Once the ground thaws rake up the dead grass, mow the lawn short, and hope they go away?
Basically yes.

Looks like I lucked out this year (had them bad last year). Keep the grass short (especially in the late fall) and raked and you might lucky out.

I leave poison and traps out 24/7/365 now and I still catch the odd one. Once you get them you're pretty much screwed.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies