Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #3641
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Similar to their South America price drops, now Aeromexico is offering some pretty crazy prices to Central America.

The flights are about as fast as these destinations can be done from YYC. Some dry season dates are available (November, early December)

Dates:
August, September, October
-- dry season begins --
November, December

Calgary to Managua, Nicaragua - $294 CAD roundtrip including taxes
http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-manag...ncluding-taxes
(see update at very bottom)

Calgary to Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA) -- $348 CAD roundtrip
Calgary to San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL) -- $348 CAD roundtrip
http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-guate...ncluding-taxes
(see update at very bottom)

-

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:01 AM   #3642
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the likelihood of success for getting on a flight at a connecting city rather than your original departure city? Will airlines ever work with you on this or is it a lost cause? We have a flight leaving Paris but connects in Amsterdam prior to heading back to Calgary. After some consideration, it would make more sense to leave fro Amsterdam instead of having to head back to Paris.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #3643
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What is the likelihood of success for getting on a flight at a connecting city rather than your original departure city? Will airlines ever work with you on this or is it a lost cause? We have a flight leaving Paris but connects in Amsterdam prior to heading back to Calgary. After some consideration, it would make more sense to leave fro Amsterdam instead of having to head back to Paris.
If you don't show up for the first segment, the entire flight will be cancelled. You can call the airline to see what it would cost to refare the return flight from Amsterdam rather than Paris - but you'll be on the hook for change fees and any fare difference. It's not necessarily very customer-friendly but that's the way they work.

At least it's only a few hours train ride from Amsterdam to Paris?

Enjoy your trip!

ETA: if your plans suit, next trip you can book an 'open jaw' (multi-city) that arrives in one city and departs from the other - there are restrictions on these types of trips (open segment has to be shorter than the other two) but it's not much of a problem in Europe.

Last edited by billybob123; 05-29-2017 at 07:47 AM.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:48 AM   #3644
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Question, if my wife and I are travelling to Europe together, but coming home on different dates is it possible to book that on the same itinerary? Or are we better to do that separate?

Thanks!
Any thoughts on this?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #3645
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Any thoughts on this?
You can't book two different flight dates on one intinerary - unless you are doing one-way to Europe and one-way back. What you can do is book the itineraries separately and then call the airline and ask that the record with the outbound flights to Europe be linked. They may not be able to do much more than make a notation in the reservation but that way if there are cancellations or delays, there is at least a note there stating that the two people travelling are together.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #3646
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great thanks, good to know.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #3647
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Question, if my wife and I are travelling to Europe together, but coming home on different dates is it possible to book that on the same itinerary? Or are we better to do that separate?

Thanks!
Be prepared for the questions at customs on why you left your wife in Europe.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #3648
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
be prepared for the questions at customs on why you left your wife in europe. my wife sent me home from vacation early
Old 05-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #3649
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His name is Antonio, and he makes great pottery out of his clay.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #3650
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Germany, actually. So more like Dietrich making sausages...oh no!
Old 06-10-2017, 12:41 AM   #3651
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, kind of an odd thing happened with Airbnb that is leaving me a bit uncomfortable. I booked a place for a pretty reasonable price and had it confirmed. I went back later to the listing to show my wife some pictures, and the daily rate is now more than double what it was before, and there are now extra fees for guests and such. I checked the dates, and the price has changed for the dates before and after my booking, so it wasn't some kind of seasonal shift. Is this a red flag that I will probably get my reservation cancelled or attempted to be renegotiated at some point before my trip? It just seems very odd that it happened over the course of the day. I messaged the host as diplomatically as possible and hope to hear a reasonable explanation for it, but still we are at their whim if they decide to change our rate at the last minute.

For perspective, the rates went from $156 CDN per night with no extra guest fees, to $284 CDN and a fee of $78 per extra guest so $440 in total per night, which is totally out of the question. Even though it is a very nice apartment.

Thoughts?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #3652
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

They are allowed to change rates at the last minute? I've never used Airbnb but that sounds like a crazy policy. Maybe they realized after they got your booking that they weren't charging enough and decided to change their rates, but I think once they've accepted something, they shouldn't be able to change it whenever they want. But, as I've said, I've never used the service.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #3653
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone fly on BA 788 to Heathrow? I'm reading that the seats are quit tight, and tempted to take 39 B and C. H and J are taken.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Br...eing_787-8.php

The only other option is 30 B and C (exit row). Price is about the same.

Thoughts? Is the the same or worse than the Rouge 767's as far as seat space goes?
Old 06-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #3654
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So, kind of an odd thing happened with Airbnb that is leaving me a bit uncomfortable. I booked a place for a pretty reasonable price and had it confirmed. I went back later to the listing to show my wife some pictures, and the daily rate is now more than double what it was before, and there are now extra fees for guests and such. I checked the dates, and the price has changed for the dates before and after my booking, so it wasn't some kind of seasonal shift. Is this a red flag that I will probably get my reservation cancelled or attempted to be renegotiated at some point before my trip? It just seems very odd that it happened over the course of the day. I messaged the host as diplomatically as possible and hope to hear a reasonable explanation for it, but still we are at their whim if they decide to change our rate at the last minute.

For perspective, the rates went from $156 CDN per night with no extra guest fees, to $284 CDN and a fee of $78 per extra guest so $440 in total per night, which is totally out of the question. Even though it is a very nice apartment.

Thoughts?
The host can't change your rate.

Plus, airbnb penalizes hosts for cancelling, so it is unlikely they'll cancel on you, even if they have decided to charge more.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #3655
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks. I wasn't sure. It seemed suspicious, and I have heard some stories of having reservations being cancelled or having the terms changed before arrival. Anyway, I get a response back from the fellow who said he had forgotten to change the rates on the apartment but that he would honour the rate in my confirmation so I am happy. I just didn't want to be in the situation where with a few days before arrival I get a message stating they want to change the rate, I say no, and then they cancel the booking. This is my first time using Airbnb so I am not sure of the ins and outs all that well.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #3656
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The host can't change your rate.

Plus, airbnb penalizes hosts for cancelling, so it is unlikely they'll cancel on you, even if they have decided to charge more.
Yea no clue about your rate situation but I do know there are host penalties.

I booked a place in Taiwan 2 years ago. The host manually accepts it immediately. A day later he tells me the place is unavailable, but he will host us in his other property in the middle of nowhere and is highly inaccessible. I told him no thanks. He had set up a strict cancellation policy where I would only get half my money back, so I was adamant that he make the cancellation and not me. I ended up having to send it to dispute to get my money back and to ding his credibility as host.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #3657
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to do a dispute with AirBNB this year too because of a non-reponsive host. It took some time, but eventually I got AirBNB to cancel it for me with no penalty. Now that property is no longer listed on the site.

AirBNB doesn't mess around lol
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #3658
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

The first time I ever used airbnb I had the host cancel on me 48 hours before I was supposed to stay there.

AirBnB swung into action, returned my money, gave me a $100 CAD credit on top and notified all their hosts in that city I needed a place. I ended up getting a way nicer place in a way better part of town.

All of this, from cancellation to offers from other hosts for discounted rates had taken place in about an hour. Airbnb really looked after me and I've been pretty high on the company ever since.

Granted this happened five or six years ago when they were more unknown, but I'm really confident the company will help you out if your host is shady.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #3659
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hello CP,

I am not sure if this is the proper thread to ask this question or not, but do any of you have experience with Edelweiss Air flying Calgary to Zurich??

I am looking at doing a trip to Europe in August and my travel agent gave me a few options including Air Canada Rouge (awful for economy) or Edelweiss.

I will be honest in I have never heard of this airline and I am wondering what anybody's experience is with them?

Thanks!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #3660
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Hello CP,

I am not sure if this is the proper thread to ask this question or not, but do any of you have experience with Edelweiss Air flying Calgary to Zurich??

I am looking at doing a trip to Europe in August and my travel agent gave me a few options including Air Canada Rouge (awful for economy) or Edelweiss.

I will be honest in I have never heard of this airline and I am wondering what anybody's experience is with them?

Thanks!
Try the Aviation Appreciation Station.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=93479
verda13 is offline   Reply With Quote