Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #21
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
This is an idiotic decision and all of my gay friends are against it. I cannot find one historical incident of the CPS persecuting a LGBT person of colour - this is all about a group of activists importing their outrage from a cultural context that is irrelevant to Calgary.
This isn't necessarily about someone being persecuted because they are both LGTBQ and a person of colour. Many persons of colour, especially indigenous people, feel unfairly treated by the CPS and have had bad experiences in the past. Some of those also happen to be members of the LGBTQ community.

The LGBTQ community can't take a whole lot of "pride" in their own inclusiveness of persons of colour, but I think this is a nice gesture to say there's still work to be done between the CPS and minority communities. The gay community isn't separate from those communities, it's a part of each of them.

People think too often "these things don't happen here" sitting in their comfortable bubble. Get out, talk with people vastly different than yourself, and you might be surprised by how much you learn.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #22
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ehh, you're deluding yourself if you think this is a left-only problem. The extremes in both directions are horrible for this.
I never said it wasn't. I just find its so much more obvious on the right where the left tries to cleverly hide behind ideas of equality and justice when really they just want their crack at power tripping against someone else.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #23
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Its not enough to gain respect for our identity, we have to subvert the identity of others now. This is all about power. Pretty typical example of where the left is going to extremes these days.
The left "going to extremes" would be the establishment of a vanguard of the proletariat. Not this.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #24
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its not enough to gain respect for our identity, we have to subvert the identity of others now.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #25
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I feel bad for cops who are gay. They are taking the brunt of the decision. Many of them think the brass doesn't care about this decision but they have worked for years to feel included in their community and their profession. This is a slap in the face to those officers. All because of a racist activist org.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #26
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This isn't necessarily about someone being persecuted because they are both LGTBQ and a person of colour. Many persons of colour, especially indigenous people, feel unfairly treated by the CPS and have had bad experiences in the past. Some of those also happen to be members of the LGBTQ community.

The LGBTQ community can't take a whole lot of "pride" in their own inclusiveness of persons of colour, but I think this is a nice gesture to say there's still work to be done between the CPS and minority communities. The gay community isn't separate from those communities, it's a part of each of them.

People think too often "these things don't happen here" sitting in their comfortable bubble. Get out, talk with people vastly different than yourself, and you might be surprised by how much you learn.
I don't think the NHL has been overly accepting of gays in their history or of minorities. The official stance has now changed, but there are likely elements still left in NHL clubs where it's an old boys club mentality and being gay is "weak". Or NIMBY GMs who secretly don't want gays at their club. I'm sure there have been instances of abuse towards gays in hockey at all levels. The NHL could do more for inclusiveness.

Banning the Flames from the parade because of the past or remaining bigoted elements would be ridiculous.

Just like banning cops in uniforms because of what their organization has done in the past, or because of small bigoted elements, is ridiculous
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #27
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I, personally, think this moves makes it more inclusive to persons of colour (who the community isn't always mindful of). That said, I don't really like the parade.
Making an event more inclusive by excluding and demonizing people. Awesome!

Yeah, this is a rehash of last year. I haven't changed my views. To say, effectively, "everyone is welcome to come participate and be themselves at this gay rights event, except for this small group of people, who aren't welcome and should hide who they are because we attribute immorality to that particular identity", is perfect satire. You couldn't write it better.

To take an event that generally has a positive, happy atmosphere and implement a measure that is divisive, petty and negative just casts a pall over the whole thing. It's a bad move, and it seems to me that the reaction has been overwhelmingly negative from gay and straight alike.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #28
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Making an event more inclusive by excluding and demonizing people. Awesome!

Yeah, this is a rehash of last year. I haven't changed my views. To say, effectively, "everyone is welcome to come participate and be themselves at this gay rights event, except for this small group of people, who aren't welcome and should hide who they are because we attribute immorality to that particular identity", is perfect satire. You couldn't write it better.

To take an event that generally has a positive, happy atmosphere and implement a measure that is divisive, petty and negative just casts a pall over the whole thing. It's a bad move, and it seems to me that the reaction has been overwhelmingly negative from gay and straight alike.
Well that's just it. If you think the cops treat everyone equally and have no history or current record of abusing minority rights, or simply human rights for that matter, then this would seem like a stupid move.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #29
GaiJin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I guess I'll have to pick a different Village People costume this year.
GaiJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #30
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Well that's just it. If you think the cops treat everyone equally and have no history or current record of abusing minority rights, or simply human rights for that matter, then this would seem like a stupid move.
Absurd. This is hopelessly manichean. The only way this even makes sense is if you look at the police as an inherently immoral institution, a force for ill in society. Moreover, if your standard is "no one may participate if they belong to or are associated with a group with any history or current record of abusing minority rights or human rights", well, then, everyone can #### off and stay home. Not that anyone would particularly want to attend your festival of shame and contrition.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #31
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sounds like a money making opportunity for a uniform manufacturer to make unofficial rainbow coloured clothing that has the exact cut and appointments of a police uniform. Can you imagine a police uniform (hat included) coloured only in rainbow colours? It would be fabulous.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #32
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I don't really have a horse in this race, but I think that is crap. If the community is all about inclusion, why would you not include cops in uniform.

My daughter is gay. She's furious about this, to the point she intends to write the Pride executive a letter and boycott the parade. Yeah, big whoop, a letter and boycotting, whatever, but aside from speaking out against this in some of her groups, this is the avenue available to her in her present circumstamces. She's normally very soft spoken and avoids confrontation but she's really pissed about this and speaking out in whichever way she can, so I'm proud of her for stepping out of her personality enough to say something.

Quote:
Its not enough to gain respect for our identity, we have to subvert the identity of others now. This is all about power. Pretty typical example of where the left is going to extremes these days.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #33
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Absurd. This is hopelessly manichean. The only way this even makes sense is if you look at the police as an inherently immoral institution, a force for ill in society. Moreover, if your standard is "no one may participate if they belong to or are associated with a group with any history or current record of abusing minority rights or human rights", well, then, everyone can #### off and stay home. Not that anyone would particularly want to attend your festival of shame and contrition.
Yes and that's how some people look at it. There are several examples of police departments actually being inherently immoral. LA. Arizona. NYC. Show us your papers. Stop and frisk. But the thing is, you don't have to be inherently immoral.....if you're the small minority that's being mistreated then the entire force is corrupt. If you think cps is perfect, then this is a dumb move.

I truly appreciate the cps and their reaction to this. They still support the community as they should.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #34
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're just wrong. You absolutely do not have to "think CPS is perfect" to think this is a dumb move. That should be obvious, because it would be pretty hard to find someone who will say CPS is perfect, yet incredibly easy to find someone who thinks this is a dumb move. That is why I pointed out that your view is simplistic to the point of absurdity. It's not a battle between good and evil where the cops are the evil side.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #35
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a good statement from Pride on their reasoning for this? I'm not going to knee-jerk without knowing, especially since it sounds like something they are trying for this year, and the police aren't fighting them on this or boycotting.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #36
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's also incredibly easy to find people who think the cps is inherently immoral. I don't think they are but I also don't pretend to understand what its like to be a minority. To me Pride doesn't need the support of cps. And cps shouldn't need this "bridge" to properly serve all communities
Old 07-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #37
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is there a good statement from Pride on their reasoning for this? I'm not going to knee-jerk without knowing, especially since it sounds like something they are trying for this year, and the police aren't fighting them on this or boycotting.
BLM told them to?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #38
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fuzz, could you please change your username while in this thread please?
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #39
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

This move is a mistake.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #40
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm interested to hear what your stake is in the game OMGWTF, because effectively everyone (LGBT community, mayor, citizens, CPS members) sounds to be against this.

There is basically zero justification for this beyond peddling to the BLM crowd
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote