Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #21
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not only do you have the general public -often time people working on dirty projects- who come in and grab it with their hand avoiding the scoop, but the person who makes it is usually one of the lowest people on the Totem pole (heya!). Same guys cleaning up the dirt, mopping up the toilet, wiping sweat from their brows etc. are the guys taking care of the popcorn. Say a person brings in old plumbing pipe looking for replacements, the person will grab it look at it, help the customer and then go and make the popcorn in the machine that is never washed because no one wants to do that. It's not like other places serving food where sanitation is at least emphasized, Totem (or I guess Rona now) is still a job where you're expected to "get dirty."

At least that's what I've been told, so I'm good avoiding it.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #22
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I heard butter is not the ingredient that makes the popcorn yellow.

Last edited by Looch City; 07-27-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #23
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I can't believe the popcorn is still a thing. I can't believe people eat from a public trough like that. I was at the Rona on Edmonton Tr the other day and they had one of those things. I walked past it thinking "that popcorn must be about 10 years old, because why would anyone eat it?". Then I went to the plumbing aisle to find something, and while I was standing there, "that guy" came along. First he announced his presence by breathing so loudly, I could hear him before he turned the corner. Then a bird landed on the floor and he loudly proclaimed "Ooh! There's a bird in here". Then he stood right beside me because apparently we were looking for something similar. There was the breathing and the muttering. Although the muttering was kind of at regular speaking volume, and it was some really riveting stuff such as "Hmmmm" and "Ohhh, there..." and "Huh, there's that one, too?"...... and finally "Welllll........."

Thanks dude. I know we're at the hardware store, not the library, but come on. So I decided that I didn't even want the thing I was there for, because I needed to not be standing beside that guy anymore, but in an effort to salvage my trip to the store, I checked the next aisle over for the valve I was looking for, and lo! there it was. Great, I thought. I'm going to GTFO before that guy waddles and mutters his way over here, so I bee-lined it for the cashier. As I was waiting in line, that guy emerged from the plumbing aisle and waddled over to the popcorn. He used his hand to fill a bag, and then stood in line behind me munching that filth down, while breathing heavy, and muttering (loud enough for the cashier to hear) about how it needed butter and salt.

That's who eats the popcorn.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #24
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I can't believe the popcorn is still a thing. I can't believe people eat from a public trough like that. I was at the Rona on Edmonton Tr the other day and they had one of those things. I walked past it thinking "that popcorn must be about 10 years old, because why would anyone eat it?". Then I went to the plumbing aisle to find something, and while I was standing there, "that guy" came along. First he announced his presence by breathing so loudly, I could hear him before he turned the corner. Then a bird landed on the floor and he loudly proclaimed "Ooh! There's a bird in here". Then he stood right beside me because apparently we were looking for something similar. There was the breathing and the muttering. Although the muttering was kind of at regular speaking volume, and it was some really riveting stuff such as "Hmmmm" and "Ohhh, there..." and "Huh, there's that one, too?"...... and finally "Welllll........."

Thanks dude. I know we're at the hardware store, not the library, but come on. So I decided that I didn't even want the thing I was there for, because I needed to not be standing beside that guy anymore, but in an effort to salvage my trip to the store, I checked the next aisle over for the valve I was looking for, and lo! there it was. Great, I thought. I'm going to GTFO before that guy waddles and mutters his way over here, so I bee-lined it for the cashier. As I was waiting in line, that guy emerged from the plumbing aisle and waddled over to the popcorn. He used his hand to fill a bag, and then stood in line behind me munching that filth down, while breathing heavy, and muttering (loud enough for the cashier to hear) about how it needed butter and salt.

That's who eats the popcorn.
LOL.

He's 63-65, wearing sweat dirty pants with his gut was hanging over them, work boots, he smelled like vinegar and cheese, and had one of those red bulbous noses?

I think I've met this guy in the surplus aisle at Princess Auto.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #25
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's hard to be surprised at the turns CP threads often take, but this one is something else.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #26
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
It's hard to be surprised at the turns CP threads often take, but this one is something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #27
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Given the potential dangers, there should be a higher emphasis on maintenance / quality control.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #28
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think one of the Stampede rides had a significant malfunction this year that trapped the riders.

I've always had trouble with trusting rides because they're major pieces of engineering assembled and maintained by carnies.

But if you look at the actual safety records very few rides malfunction dramatically.

But that one looked like a assembly problem.
That's an example of safety systems working as designed, though. Although I wouldn't really enjoy 30 minutes up at the top of that ride, the minute or so you hang there while they change riders feels pretty long as it is haha.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 PM   #29
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That's concerning since there's a scoop.
What, there is a scoop in there, like for the popcorn?
Old 07-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #30
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

For me, the big question is Why does a hardware store have free popcorn?

I don't really see the connection. Is this a Calgary thing? Instead of eating popcorn at the movies you eat it at the hardware store?

Guess I've been outside of Canada too long...
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #31
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

Same with Totem employees not eating the free popcorn.
Worked there as a 19 year old for a summer. The popcorn was glorious. They used to have a guy whose main job was making and manning the popcorn stand. Good ole Popcorn made a mean batch of popcorn.

In terms of the original terms of the thread, that is frightening. I was on the ferris wheel at Heritage Park past weekend, and I was giggling to myself thinking this thing was probably built in 1923 or something. Something's gotta give at some point.

Last edited by the-rasta-masta; 07-27-2017 at 09:50 PM.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #32
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Given the potential dangers, there should be a higher emphasis on maintenance / quality control.
Are we talking about the ride or the popcorn?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure all the protocols and regulations are in place, and they are stingent.

The problem is (this is me speculating) that the maintenance and inspections are done in a piss poor manner. It's easy to fudge on your maintenance and inspections sign offs.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #34
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Where's the quality control on the Quality Control?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #35
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
They're at Totem having popcorn.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #36
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
No, its only a matter of time before the fat window licking mouth breather at Rona is outed as a muslim
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #37
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks, John Madden.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #38
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
In Alberta that's the purpose of the safety codes officer. They would come in and review the inspection records and look at a few rides. This type of inspection is done to ensure compliance with code requirements rather than to repreform all of the entire inspection.

Essentially the same function as the city electrical or plumbing inspectors.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #39
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
This will be the shortest candidate for post of the year. Well done.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #40
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

They have free popcorn at the local home hardware here, but it's all pre portioned into bags. Also that ride thing sucks.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote