Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #41
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's just my crappy lungs, but does anybody else ever find it hard to get in a deep satisfying breathe when they are running? It seems like for every 30 or so breaths, only one will feel like it really, went in deeply. Does that make sense at all?

I have never smoked by the way. I feel like it's kind of interfering with my running when I feel like I am not getting in some really good breaths.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #42
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you suck your gut when you inhale and push it out when you exhale? If so, try reversing that. Push out your gut when you exhale, like you're belly is expanding with air, then pull your gut in when you exhale so as to push the air out of your lungs.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #43
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Do you suck your gut when you inhale and push it out when you exhale? If so, try reversing that. Push out your gut when you exhale, like you're belly is expanding with air, then pull your gut in when you exhale so as to push the air out of your lungs.

Do you mean exhale as fully as possible? I have tried with no real help there. This is something that plagues me from time to time, even at night when trying to sleep. Have to wait until a yawn to feel like I have gotten a good fulfilling deep breath in.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #44
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping CP can guide me a bit here... I've been running since 2010, usually 30-40 miles a week. For the past four months I've been running on the wrong shoes, and it's messed up my biomechanics. I now get stiffness in my knee on my left leg, which is causing tightness in my upper leg (especially IT), and is now affecting my glutes and lower back. Looking for a plan to follow that will ease it back to normal, if such a thing exists. Regularly using foam rollers and lacrosse balls, shifting my workouts away from running to swimming/biking/stairs. Also going to look into the knee injury clinic at U of C. Any help would be great! I miss running
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #45
hesh329
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Do you mean exhale as fully as possible? I have tried with no real help there. This is something that plagues me from time to time, even at night when trying to sleep. Have to wait until a yawn to feel like I have gotten a good fulfilling deep breath in.
I would look at your breathing. Could be a weak diaphragm or it gets out of synch. Try some aligator breathing exercises.
hesh329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #46
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have been a casual runner for a few years but just got back into it a bit more diligently. Fighting a few injuries but looking forward to my first ever 10k event this weekend at the Scotiabank marathon.

2 of the best coaching tips I've received speak to a few issues noted above:

Tight IT band, back or quads. Warm-up by getting the glutes fired up. There are plenty of exercise examples on Dr. Google. Most people who sit at work most of the day have tightness in these areas because their glutes don't "pull their weight" while running. This has helped me a lot.

Breathing. Concentrate on matching your breaths to your running cadence. 2 breaths/steps in, 3 out. Don't increase your cadence any faster than you can breathe. Pace will increase as your lung capacity increases.

Getting rid of music while running. Most songs in your playlist probably don't match your cadence, which means you're likely running faster or slower than your level or comfort. A bit more boring, but without music I can lock in the breathing and pace much quicker.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 06:59 AM   #47
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Maybe it's just my crappy lungs, but does anybody else ever find it hard to get in a deep satisfying breathe when they are running? It seems like for every 30 or so breaths, only one will feel like it really, went in deeply. Does that make sense at all?

I have never smoked by the way. I feel like it's kind of interfering with my running when I feel like I am not getting in some really good breaths.
Could you have excercise induced Asthma? It kind of sounds like that if you are getting good full breaths but not getting air into your body. A doctor
Can test for this.

To ensure you are breathing Deeply you can tie it to your cadence. At a conversational pace I'm usually 3 in 2 out. Then going to 2:1 and 1:1 as I run faster.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:18 AM   #48
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ I have asthma. It seems like a couple of shots of Ventalin prior to your run should help you.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #49
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are there any CP runners on Strava?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #50
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Could you have excercise induced Asthma? It kind of sounds like that if you are getting good full breaths but not getting air into your body. A doctor
Can test for this.

To ensure you are breathing Deeply you can tie it to your cadence. At a conversational pace I'm usually 3 in 2 out. Then going to 2:1 and 1:1 as I run faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
^ I have asthma. It seems like a couple of shots of Ventalin prior to your run should help you.
I'll see if I can do some adjustments with my breathing pattern. Maybe some shorter, shallower breaths will feel more satisfying. I am not gasping or dying out there or anything. It's just uncomfortable, especially when I start paying attention to it.

Quote:
Are there any CP runners on Strava?
Yep. I am on there. I suggested a club earlier, but maybe it's possible to combine with the cycling guys?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #51
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use Strava in Edmonton but my watch doesn't sync anymore. I still rock the Garmin 305 from a decade ago and it refuses to die. So I take my phone on some runs or if I am pushing a stroller.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #52
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wormius, ask your doctor to send you for a Pulmonary Function Test. They do them in the basement of the Foothills Hospital. They will diagnose it for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #53
hesh329
Draft Pick

I use strava here in calgary. Right now though my phone keeps cutting the GPS off half way.
hesh329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #54
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a serious love/hate relationship.
I'm a fair-weather runner so I'm not running in the winter. When it comes time to start in the spring, it's one of my least favorite things to do. By the time mid summer roles around, I'm in love again.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #55
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Wormius, ask your doctor to send you for a Pulmonary Function Test. They do them in the basement of the Foothills Hospital. They will diagnose it for you.
This is good advice as it may be early signs for something that needs to be looked at and maybe there's a prescription to help.

Quote:
Hoping CP can guide me a bit here... I've been running since 2010, usually 30-40 miles a week. For the past four months I've been running on the wrong shoes, and it's messed up my biomechanics. I now get stiffness in my knee on my left leg, which is causing tightness in my upper leg (especially IT), and is now affecting my glutes and lower back. Looking for a plan to follow that will ease it back to normal, if such a thing exists. Regularly using foam rollers and lacrosse balls, shifting my workouts away from running to swimming/biking/stairs. Also going to look into the knee injury clinic at U of C. Any help would be great! I miss running
The knee clinic at U of C is for acute injuries that need potential triaging ie ACL tear. They will not see you for an overuse injury.

The good news is often you don't have to stop running. The most common cause of pain in runners is hip weakness. But it's impossible to know why you're have pain without assessing it. So yet again the recommendation comes up - go find a (good) physio!

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #56
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
This is good advice as it may be early signs for something that needs to be looked at and maybe there's a prescription to help.

The knee clinic at U of C is for acute injuries that need potential triaging ie ACL tear. They will not see you for an overuse injury.

The good news is often you don't have to stop running. The most common cause of pain in runners is hip weakness. But it's impossible to know why you're have pain without assessing it. So yet again the recommendation comes up - go find a (good) physio!
the running injury clinic at Glenmore Landing is now called LivActiv and they will treat the common type of overuse injury. They do a good job and cost about as much as any typical physio:

http://www.livactiv.ca/

plus it's right beside Running Room and the scenic reservoir pathways, so you can try out your newly rehabbed joints all in the same area.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #57
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I use Strava in Edmonton but my watch doesn't sync anymore. I still rock the Garmin 305 from a decade ago and it refuses to die. So I take my phone on some runs or if I am pushing a stroller.
Can you pull the gps data off of your watch and then upload it manually to strava? That's how I used to do it with older Garmin watches.
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #58
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This thread has been fantastic. I've never been a runner and never enjoyed it. Always biked and played sports and was in good shape but no built for running. Until just under a month ago when I decided to start running because I needed something to get myself into shape. It's been all treadmill so far, but I started by doing 2 miles over my lunch hour which has since grown to doing 5km over the lunch hour and sometimes a 2nd run or some other cardio in the evening.

All it takes is just starting somewhere and finding a reason to do it. Mine may or may not have been because of a woman, but reasons are reasons. So I've just gotta say keep up the good work to all of you. And this weekend I get to do my 1st 5km at the Marathon.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #59
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

oh and good luck to all Calgary Marathon participants this weekend. I won't be there this time but I have many fond memories from the past 3 years of stumbling to the finish line nearly blind and deaf from almost passing out. and I always wanted to come back for more...that's how silly runners are.

of course, obligatory Oatmeal comic to get you ready:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/marathon_do
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #60
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Better run today. Changed up my breathing a little to a more Lamaze-ish style. In-in-out-out.

Unexpected detour after the zoo bridge. Followed the steady stream of cyclists back to Nose Creek trail.