Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 05-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #21
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I wonder if female politicians realize that turning ever single incident where someone is rude to them into a gender issue is undermining their credibility. Remember, the reason women weren't regarded as credible politicians back in the bad old days is because people said they were too fragile. Imagine what a Sue Higgins would have thought of the outrage and handwringing that goes on today.
Sue Higgens would have had a wicked burn reply and then blown smoke in his face.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #22
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can't believe this was turned into a news story or a story at all. Actually pathetic.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #23
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Whether you feel it's par for the course in politics or not, it was just dumb and childish, and Sutherland is looking like a huge baby in the aftermath.

It's great that politics can be idiotic, but that doesn't mean we should just nod and shrug when it is, or it'll just get worse. I don't see it as much of an issue, but it's enough that Sutherland should be fairly embarrassed for looking like the class clown on City Council. He's an elected official there to represent other people, and an adult, afterall.
Duh is acting every bit as dumb, childish, babyish and clownish in her response. It's overblown. Neither is coming out of this looking good. It's not like he elbowed her tit or something....
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #24
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys wouldn't believe the vitriol and abuse she takes on an almost constant basis. I've seen it first hand, I still witness it frequently. Many of you guys would curl up into the fetal position at a fraction of what she takes. She's one of the toughest people I've ever met.

Last edited by Bunk; 05-15-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #25
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a couple of white knights galloping around in here.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:43 PM   #26
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Duh is acting every bit as dumb, childish, babyish and clownish in her response. It's overblown. Neither is coming out of this looking good. It's not like he elbowed her tit or something....
She barely actually said anything about it publicly. What offends you about her response, exactly?

This was about the extent of it:

Quote:
“I don’t want to be distracted while I’m in council. We have serious business to do, and this is incredibly unprofessional regardless of what was meant by the gesture,” Farrell told reporters.

“It’s important that we talk about systemic behaviour leading up to somebody feeling comfortable expressing this kind of thing in council, on camera,” she said.

“We’re trying to encourage more women to run on council. It’s important that we have more women to more represent the population that is Calgary and I hope this doesn’t discourage women from putting their names forward.
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ell-on-twitter

The horrors!

Last edited by Bunk; 05-15-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 PM   #27
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Good grief.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:40 PM   #28
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
The class clown when you were in school often said "we need to be professional"?

I can only imagine how wild you must feel after an all-out rager like church communion. Party on, wild one.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:45 AM   #29
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any chance of Druh finally getting bounced this election? Her and Pincott are really bad for this city.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:11 AM   #30
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Let me tell you, as a man, how a woman should feel..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 07:35 AM   #31
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I don't get the hate for Druh and why people feel she drags the city down. Is somebody willing to weigh in on why they don't like her?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #32
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I don't get the hate for Druh and why people feel she drags the city down. Is somebody willing to weigh in on why they don't like her?
She's a latte-sipping urbanist who champions the interests of the latte-sipping urbanists who live in her inner-city ward. It's not surprising that the Yop-gobbling suburbanites would be opposed to her agenda. Why she seems to receive more hate and vitriol than the other latte-sippers on council (e.g. Woolley and Carra) I will leave as an exercise to the reader.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #33
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Its probably a good thing to have at least one Chabot and one Farrell on each council.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #34
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
You guys wouldn't believe the vitriol and abuse she takes on an almost constant basis. I've seen it first hand, I still witness it frequently. Many of you guys would curl up into the fetal position at a fraction of what she takes. She's one of the toughest people I've ever met.
I don't doubt that she takes a lot of abuse and that is absolutely uncalled for. This situation has nothing to do with that though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #35
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I live in Druh's ward. I'll say I voted against her a few elections ago, just after she helped champion that ridiculous shut down Memorial for a day and have a party. She pushes the envelope quite a bit on the progressive side, and despite my appreciation for that point of view she can take it to the nth degree.

Despite that I have come around to respecting her. She was bang on with the peace bridge. She took lots of flack for that. Same with the bike lanes. She's our very own slice of Portlandia, but I believe she is actually a genuine about it. I respect that.

Calgary looks like Calgary because of people like Druh. People who actually care a lot about living here. Does that mean she should get free reign, heck no. However, I'll listen to her opinion over Sean Chu any day. At least I know it is well researched and thought out, even if it is sometimes impractical.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #36
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
She's a latte-sipping urbanist who champions the interests of the latte-sipping urbanists who live in her inner-city ward. It's not surprising that the Yop-gobbling suburbanites would be opposed to her agenda. Why she seems to receive more hate and vitriol than the other latte-sippers on council (e.g. Woolley and Carra) I will leave as an exercise to the reader.
Farrell has cultivated a much more prominent media profile than Woolley or Carra, and has for decades. She's also been on council for 5 terms, versus 1 and 2 terms for Woolley and Carra respectively.

It's not as though she's the first female councillor this city has had. Sue Higgins (5 terms), Barb Scott (8 terms), and Bev Longstaff (4 terms) all had long careers in office without any handwringing over people being mean to them.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #37
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Sutherland when he says he was having a conversation with Chabot.

If you watch the video it literally looks like he was talking to someone and then does the "motion".

This is a nothing issue IMO.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #38
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't doubt that she takes a lot of abuse and that is absolutely uncalled for. This situation has nothing to do with that though.
There's a lot more context around this story and Ward than just this few seconds. For instance, his recent fundraiser...

Also, now as a result of this episode, by no fault of her own, is being harassed online, including from sock accounts on Facebook.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #39
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
There's a lot more context around this story and Ward than just this few seconds. For instance, his recent fundraiser...

Also, now as a result of this episode, by no fault of her own, is being harassed online, including from sock accounts on Facebook.
Yeah and that kind of thing is deplorable. It's hard though, because this particular thing (saying or implying that a politician stabbed someone in the back) isn't a big deal. It's not misogynistic and not violent or anything like that. We all know that, and it's common sense.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #40
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah and that kind of thing is deplorable. It's hard though, because this particular thing (saying or implying that a politician stabbed someone in the back) isn't a big deal. It's not misogynistic and not violent or anything like that. We all know that, and it's common sense.
But we all know things don't happen in a vacuum, do they. Do you think that incident alone prompted her to request a change of seat? Of course not.