Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #481
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
Still wouldn't work. Just look at pedestrians downtown with the countdown timers, if you had something like a locking gate on any given intersection downtown there would be dozens of fatalities per day....people are stupid and a countdown timer actually makes things riskier. Combine that with a locking gate and it's a recipe for disaster.

Edit: Not to mention the logistics of it. If you did have a countdown timer on the tracks, where would it be triggered? How would it deal with the varying speed of each incoming/outgoing train? How would it be able to lock people from going onto the tracks but still let people off of the tracks? Could it prevent another clueless person from walking onto the tracks through the gate that the other person just opened from the other side? What about the people wearing headphones? Or the people with their heads buried in their phones...the current flashing lights and sounds don't always prevent this, so how could something else do it? You can only realistically do so much to prevent stupid from happening.
You guys are missing the easiest solution. Have a latch on the inside like any electronically locked apartment door. Yes you could reach over and undo it but that act of intervention should prompt looking. Unlike the Z path you currently walk through
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #482
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Safety transit boss considers ban on headphones near LRT stations - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-ban-1.3995225

I have no idea how they would implement that.
Human who CHOOSES TO NEGLECT an incoming train gets hit and dies. Obvious solution is BAN TRAINS
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #483
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Safety transit boss considers ban on headphones near LRT stations - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-ban-1.3995225

I have no idea how they would implement that.
Heard this on the news today also. Crappy idea, but honestly people are stupid and need nanny state ideas like this to protect them from themselves.

It will be impossible to enforce. I myself would never adhere to it. Honestly the only solution to completely stop some moron from walking across the tracks while the lights, arm and bells are all going off is to have 4 security guards, 2 on each side, guarding the gate and physically stopping people from going through.

Way too expensive and a waste of resources. But I honestly can't think of any other idea to 'guarantee' no one cross the tracks when they aren't supposed to.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #484
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hire a bunch of guys off the street. Have them stand at either end of each and every platform and they can fine and ticket each and every person who has earbuds or headphones. It'll improve employment numbers and generate revenue for the transit service (and reduce taxes needed to run it).

Oh, and maybe thwart Darwin a time or two. Everybody wins (loses).
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #485
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Here's a simple solution to all of this...

Make the gates electric and have them automatically lock whenever a train is coming.

It wouldn't even be that hard... just have them lock when the flashing lights start. Hell, would it even cost that much?

It'd stop people buried in their phones, for sure. Idiots who hop the fences? That's just pure idiocy, and there's nothing you can do.
Here's a simpler solution,

People just need to pay attention instead of being glued to their damn phone 24/7. We don't need headphone bans or anything extra around the stations. If people just spend the 10 seconds away from their phone to look before crossing no one would get hit by trains.

The fact people still get hit by trains yet have multiple warnings is solely on them.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #486
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Here's a simpler solution,

People just need to pay attention instead of being glued to their damn phone 24/7. We don't need headphone bans or anything extra around the stations. If people just spend the 10 seconds away from their phone to look before crossing no one would get hit by trains.

The fact people still get hit by trains yet have multiple warnings is solely on them.
This post should end the discussion.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #487
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I wonder how I ever survived high school, listening to my walkman while taking trains and buses everywhere. The death defying stunts I pulled... I used to have to cross the tracks at heritage all the time. Daily. With my walkman in my ears. And a freakin backpack to slow me down. And these Doc Martin shoes that I wore right down so I could slide on snow. But I learned this cool trick. When my ears were busy listening to Metallica or Snoop, I used my eyes to look for these big ass flashing lights. They were red back then. Not sure if they've run out of juice and now they're running clear or something. I'm just glad I don't have to risk my life everyday anymore.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #488
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Probably not. Most cities are smart and bury or elevate their trains.

Still, there are other cities that have at-grade commuter trains. I get that maybe we only hear about Calgary-related accidents, but maybe other cities have figured this out.

Edit: I guess not. A searching of accidents in Toronto shows pages of pedestrian incidents with its commuter train.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #489
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably not. Most cities are smart and bury or elevate their trains.
Well, smart, sure, but from my understanding it isnt like we have much of a choice, the cost to elevate them along with our existing infrastructure is staggering and I understand that the ground is too soft to bury them.

And, well, they're trains. Its not like they show up anywhere unexpected. If you see the little rails in the ground you'd better keep your head up.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #490
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well, smart, sure, but from my understanding it isnt like we have much of a choice, the cost to elevate them along with our existing infrastructure is staggering and I understand that the ground is too soft to bury them.

And, well, they're trains. Its not like they show up anywhere unexpected. If you see the little rails in the ground you'd better keep your head up.
Oh, I get it. I'm smart enough to not be hit by trains. I walk around with earbuds in all the time and, big shock, have yet to have an incident because I'm not an idiot.

But the ground too soft excuse is bull####. The amount of traffic snarls this would alleviate alone makes burying the train a no brainer. The new line going north is going under the river. The ground is suddenly not too soft to bury a train? They cheaped out initially and one of the consequences is the ridiculous amount of at grade crossings we have.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #491
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I wonder how I ever survived high school, listening to my walkman while taking trains and buses everywhere. The death defying stunts I pulled... I used to have to cross the tracks at heritage all the time. Daily. With my walkman in my ears. And a freakin backpack to slow me down. And these Doc Martin shoes that I wore right down so I could slide on snow. But I learned this cool trick. When my ears were busy listening to Metallica or Snoop, I used my eyes to look for these big ass flashing lights. They were red back then. Not sure if they've run out of juice and now they're running clear or something. I'm just glad I don't have to risk my life everyday anymore.
My eyes were often red in high school too!
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #492
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

At the risk of being labeled "stupid", I'll share my own near miss story regarding trains. I was on foot on 5th ave heading westbound. The lights and bells started, so I waited for a northbound train to approach the intersection and cross. As the last car passed by me my first instinct was to begin to cross; as the train I was waiting for had passed.

In the time that the northbound train took to go by me, a southbound train had come over the bridge and towards the same intersection. I could not see it as my view was blocked by the NB train. Now fortunately the SB train driver hit the horn as he started to get to the intersection, so I had time to react.

Now ever since that day I am much more cautious at the train crossings. And while I definitely had a lapse in judgement, such a lapse shouldn't cost somebody their life.

As for a solution for everybody? I don't think there is a "silver bullet." However an awareness campaign might be helpful. Especially to make people aware of my own situation, and the other situations that can happen. I recall in the early 90s there was something talking about how quiet our Ctrains are for their size and weight. Maybe something like that again?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #493
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
They cheaped out initially and one of the consequences is the ridiculous amount of at grade crossings we have.
But at the same time, Calgary didn't have the population and traffic that it has now when a lot of LRT infrastructure was planned and built. How much potential growth should be built into a design at the cost of money today?

And there is no real appetite, or money for that matter, to spend hundreds of millions of dollars upgrading existing infrastructure that is hemmed in by buildings and development.

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 02-23-2017 at 11:19 AM.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:32 AM   #494
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the hierarchy of controls:

Elimination or Substitution: Obviously not possible to remove or replace the train.

Engineering Controls: This is what I have suggested. Build overpasses over the train so commuters are isolated from the risk. This has a very high initial cost however but would be easy to maintain and greatly reduce deaths.

Administrative Controls: This is what Calgary transit uses now with signage and suggestions of a possible ban on headphones. This does not remove the risk of the train but does prevent exposure to it.

PPE: make all commuters wear sumo suits when going to and from the station.

Based on this, I still believe Engineering Controls would be best to save lives. If that means the Green Line takes a few more years then so be it, the cost of a human life is priceless.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:23 AM   #495
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
At the risk of being labeled "stupid", I'll share my own near miss story regarding trains. I was on foot on 5th ave heading westbound. The lights and bells started, so I waited for a northbound train to approach the intersection and cross. As the last car passed by me my first instinct was to begin to cross; as the train I was waiting for had passed.

In the time that the northbound train took to go by me, a southbound train had come over the bridge and towards the same intersection. I could not see it as my view was blocked by the NB train. Now fortunately the SB train driver hit the horn as he started to get to the intersection, so I had time to react.

Now ever since that day I am much more cautious at the train crossings. And while I definitely had a lapse in judgement, such a lapse shouldn't cost somebody their life.

As for a solution for everybody? I don't think there is a "silver bullet." However an awareness campaign might be helpful. Especially to make people aware of my own situation, and the other situations that can happen. I recall in the early 90s there was something talking about how quiet our Ctrains are for their size and weight. Maybe something like that again?
do you really need an awareness campaign to remind people when a vehicle of any sort passes, to look before walking?

I'm not going to call you stupid by any means, but your first instinct you'd think would be to look first, then walk. it's what we're all taught growing up.

remember look both ways before crossing the street?

awareness programs are pretty useless. if they worked, nobody would drive drunk or get an STI, or smoke, either.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 02-24-2017 at 07:25 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #496
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

While in places in Europe like Nice (below), it's always amazing to see how open the tram is and how the public seemingly deals with it. This is the tram running right through the middle of a typically busy square without a flashing light or bell to be seen. Perhaps there are accidents in these cities, but there is quite the contrast in safety measures between our world and theirs.

Tagged as the image is fairly large.
Spoiler!

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice

Last edited by FurnaceFace; 02-24-2017 at 08:21 AM.
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #497
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
It'd be very easy to implement it. It's ENFORCING it that's the tricky deal.
I'm sure CPS would be all over enforcing that. They could sit there all day and hand out jaywalking and headphone tickets for the greater good of the public and simply ignore the drug deal going on behind them in the alley next to the station.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #498
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well we better get used to that, becuase there are going to be lots of areas of the Green Line that will look very similar.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #499
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
While in places in Europe like Nice (below), it's always amazing to see how open the tram is and how the public seemingly deals with it. This is the tram running right through the middle of a typically busy square without a flashing light or bell to be seen. Perhaps there are accidents in these cities, but there is quite the contrast in safety measures between our world and theirs.

Tagged as the image is fairly large.
Spoiler!
You can feel the aggression in that train.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #500
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You can feel the aggression in that train.
With it's smile-y face and beluga whale shape?

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote