Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #2721
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you looking new or used, and how much? Make sure you get something with a 6 ft long box that also has a highrise topper available. If I were looking used at this point and you don't want full size, a Nisan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma are probably the best bet since they haven't made S-10's in awhile and the Colorado's aren't regarded to highly.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #2722
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

New for sure. I'm a leaser. The more I can get the OpCo to pay for, the less tax to the HoldCo and personal... Thanks all for your replies here. Just noticed there's an ongoing automotive thread so I'll take truck questions over there.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:26 PM   #2723
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ good, let's get back to talking about bikes and bike related products - first off, that Thunderbolt sounds sweet, I'd sure enjoy seeing some pics of that bad boy.

I got my fattie out for a ride over the weekend, and we went to fish creek park, I was stunned at what a different vibe riding in the snow is. Riding trails was so similar, but yet so different. Also went for a spin around the neighborhood the next day and it was nice.

Really looking forward to getting back to fish creek this weekend.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #2724
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Maybe a dumb question, but can you jump a fat bike or fly ledges and that kind of thing? Or are the wheels just too heavy to make it possible for a normal human?
Old 01-05-2016, 12:33 PM   #2725
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but can you jump a fat bike or fly ledges and that kind of thing? Or are the wheels just too heavy to make it possible for a normal human?
http://www.bikemag.com/news/news-fat...xGjiyzbmYOB.97
Old 01-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #2726
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i will give the typical rider answer and that would be yes, but, the steeering is slow, the bike is heavierand has no suspension. combined with having to deal with the potential of icy surfaces here in calgary or other places that get winter conditions, i would not do too much railing on my fattie.

i kind of like the vibe of cruising down the trail at a slower speed, gives you a different perspective.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #2727
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was out for a ride on the fattie late this afternoon, and for the first time ever my chain broke, tried to fix it, but in the cold I could not.

Had to call the wife and walk about 10 minutes to meet her. I would guess that I have easily ridden about 20,000 k during my life, so I guess I was due.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #2728
Bluestu
Draft Pick

As buying a fat bike is out of the question at the minute for me, I have just bought studded tires for my regular hard tail mountain bike. What trails would everyone recommend?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #2729
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm thinking about a Fattie to complement my cyclocross
I am no gonzo biker but I am looking to use it Nov-April with some summer use
Fishing access etc.
Would I benefit more with front suspension?
Mostly I would use it to cruise the hood (parkland and fish creek) because most roads trails are snow covered.

Looking to spend max $2500
Any one here have one in this price range and how is your level of enjoyment?
Old 01-20-2016, 12:15 AM   #2730
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I have a trek Farley (~$1900) with a rigid fork and I have to say that I am enjoying winter biking a lot more than I thought I would.

I am not looking to add suspension to my fattie, because to me the trails are pretty smooth, so suspension is not needed, however, I may change my mind if I ever rode a fattie with suspension.

To me, a fattie is more about cruising along at no more than about 20kph, and enjoying being outside.

My only comment is make sure you invest in good clothing as being comfortable is very important.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:33 AM   #2731
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ I have a trek Farley (~$1900) with a rigid fork and I have to say that I am enjoying winter biking a lot more than I thought I would.

I am not looking to add suspension to my fattie, because to me the trails are pretty smooth, so suspension is not needed, however, I may change my mind if I ever rode a fattie with suspension.

To me, a fattie is more about cruising along at no more than about 20kph, and enjoying being outside.

My only comment is make sure you invest in good clothing as being comfortable is very important.
This. Also, the Rockshox bluto doesn't perform well in cold weather. They've had issues with the seals failing. There was an aftermarket extended temperature range seal kit available, but it will void your warranty. I was told that Rockshox recommends locking the fork out below -10C, so it become irrelevant anyways, unless you ride in the warmer weather.

-From RockShox
“RockShox products are designed for optimal performance in temperatures ranging from 0° C (32° F) to 38° C (100° F).* As temperature affects performance, some adjustment of air pressure and damping may be required within this range.*Product performance will degrade in temperatures outside this range.*RockShox products are not recommended for use in temperatures below -12° C (10° F) and above 49° C (120° F).”
The Following User Says Thank You to millhouse11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2016, 03:34 PM   #2732
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I'm on the cusp of purchasing... my LBS has 2016 Trek Farley 5 on sale for $1800
I might pull the trigger on Saturday.
Any horror stories on Trek bikes. Online reviews look decent enough.
I think going full rigid is the way to go for me and I can always upgrade front forks at a later date.

Fat man buying a fat bike named Farley seems appropriate...
Northendzone are you running a 2x gear set and if so how is it?

Last edited by Timbo; 01-22-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #2733
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Any horror stories on Trek bikes.
All the big manufacturers are the same. Which is good. Any problems, they'll do a recall, and the frame warranty is decent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #2734
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
All the big manufacturers are the same. Which is good. Any problems, they'll do a recall, and the frame warranty is decent.
I figured as much I guess i'm just being paranoid lol. This might be my first Trek. I have a Kona (cyclocross) and I am very happy with it.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #2735
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I figured as much I guess i'm just being paranoid lol. This might be my first Trek. I have a Kona (cyclocross) and I am very happy with it.

Trek is great to deal with but then again Kona maybe even better. I would avoid the 1 x drivetrain and go with 2 like it sounds like you are. Most important variable will be what tires you put on it. I also agree that you don't need suspension that is what the big tires also give you, again proper tires are the key.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #2736
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

ahem...
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=151918
Old 01-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #2737
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I'm on the cusp of purchasing... my LBS has 2016 Trek Farley 5 on sale for $1800
I might pull the trigger on Saturday.
Any horror stories on Trek bikes. Online reviews look decent enough.
I think going full rigid is the way to go for me and I can always upgrade front forks at a later date.

Fat man buying a fat bike named Farley seems appropriate...
Northendzone are you running a 2x gear set and if so how is it?
This is the bike I bought, I paid a little more, but cyclepath threw in a set of decent pedals that got me back to as midge more than $1800

I am running. 2x setup and I like it, I am also a heavyweight and old so I like the idea or lots of gears.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #2738
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

IMO if you are going for a new fatbike under $2k, the Farley 5 is a good bike to go with. Decent components, good tires, and a good geometry. They have a trail bike feel to them with the short chainstays. If you are spending a little more than $2k, I'd go with the Norco Sasquatch 6.2 rigid. Best bang for the buck. Aluminum frame, carbon fork. Both front and back thru axle. Slightly better components...however, the gearing is big. You'd need to get a praxis works 11-40 cassette for the rear to make it reasonable. the Sasquatch has a good geometry too. Lots of fun to ride. The bike I really like is the Farley 7, but it's above my price point so I'm getting the Sasquatch.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #2739
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I pulled the trigger.
I ended up with the Farley 5 and bought it at Calgary Cycle Pure on Canyon Meadows Dr.
Bike shop proximity to my house (5 minute ride) and the life time tune ups were a big part of my decision to buy there.
I took it for a 4k ride and came to the conclusion I hate my fat out of shape body . I'm built for feed not speed!
Here is a picture of the bike... not me.

I'm looking forward to some future self inflicted torture.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #2740
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Niiiiice. Wish I had space for more bikes!

My v-brake seized on my commuter, so time to replace. Had a good 18 year run though!
Closed Thread