Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #2121
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Screw Jagr and Iggy at this point.. roll with what we have and perhaps make a hockey trade during the season to change where the Flames are lacking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 PM   #2122
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

No more reclamation projects
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 11:49 PM   #2123
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In my perfect world (with us taking on Jagr for a year).

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jagr (1x3)
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland
Versteeg - Lazar - Foo
Hathaway, Hamilton

Stajan traded to Pittsburgh for whatever pick(s), Flames retain 25%.
Brouwer buried in AHL unless he has an awesome camp/preseason.
Jankowski gets an adjustment year playing on Backlunds wing, getting some faceoff exposure and learning from our best 2-way centre. I think this would be better for Jankoswki's development then playing limited 4th line minutes as centre. Bennett gets to play with legit wingers, all have an in-your-face offensive game and could click really well. Jagr provides a scoring threat in the right side of Gaudreau/Monahan and helps drive possession. Treliving mentioned Lazar in the centre depth charts so he gets to develop in the position Tre envisions, and Foo gets some play time on the 4th, with Versteeg providing guidance and leadership to both.

All 4 lines should be productive, the top 3 especially so, and the top 3 could be interchangeable against team's top-D, making a nightmare for opposing match-ups.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:54 AM   #2124
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm seeing these Stajan to Pittsburgh rumours pop up occasionally. Is there any truth to them or is it just posters seeing the Pens are looking for a centre and hoping this is an opportunity to dump Stajan's cap hit?

I can't see Pittsburgh wanting to take on that salary even for a year and if the Flames were going to eat 25-50% then they might as well just keep him on the team for centre depth and veteran leadership.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:39 AM   #2125
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stajan isn't going anywhere. He contributes in many unsung ways and is loved in the dressing room. May as well as let him finish out his yr here unless someone offers something of decent value.it never hurts to keep a guy like that around who can fill any role required. If it turns out 13 forwards are better than him then maybe move him where he gets more playing time but until then:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Lazar
Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer
F. Hamilton/Hathaway

If we sign a free agent then we can send one of Hathaway or Hamilton down and keep Staj as the 13th forward (assuming Lazar and Jankowski surpass him on the depth chart).
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #2126
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No more reclamation projects
Jagr isn't a reclamation project.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 07:41 PM   #2127
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
He sure is. He is slow, slower than Iggy. People are penciling him in on the top line which would kill Johnny when he has to dangle for 30 seconds so Jagr can catch up. Just no.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #2128
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He sure is. He is slow, slower than Iggy. People are penciling him in on the top line which would kill Johnny when he has to dangle for 30 seconds so Jagr can catch up. Just no.
Being slow doesn't make him a reclamation project. He's still an effective top 6 forward despite his age.

Yakupov is a reclamation project. Lazar is a reclamation project. Everybody knows what Jagr is.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 10:02 PM   #2129
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
his stats last year would of put him 6th on the flames in points and 5th in goals, he is not a reclamation project. The stats the year before would of been 1st in points on the flames and tied for 1st in goals this season.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:21 PM   #2130
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Don't really see any room for Jagr/Iginla at all unless some serious injuries hit.

Treliving has talked about a lot of improvements coming from within. I think management and the coaching staff think there is more to come from players such as Ferland, Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar, Jankowski, Foo and even Brouwer but in particular the first three I've mentioned. I think the fact we haven't seen a signing of a guy like Jagr shows a lot of of faith in guys like Ferland, Tkachuk and Bennett. If you really believe those guys are 2nd or even 1st line players some point in the future does it really make sense to block their ice time with an aging vet who isn't getting any faster?

Personally I'd rather hand the ice time and the reins to our young talent and see if they can run with it. It's the right time for guys like Bennett, Ferland and Tkachuk to turn the corner and become real forces on this team IMO. If you believe in them as well I don't see why we'd be hoping for a Jagr or Iginla. I would've taken Jagr last year instead of Brouwer. But now everyone's a year older and frankly I'd rather the ice time go to our young core.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer
Frolik-Backlund-Versteeg/Lazar/Foo

We have enough players for the top 3 lines including multiple young guys who can fill in or are on the cusp in Lazar, Foo, Jankowski and potentially even guys like Poirier and Klimchuk later. I see no need to add another top two winger right now. If mid season we sustain injuries and we're looking like a real contender then adding a scoring winger at the trade deadline is always a real possibility.

Let's see what Bennett, Tkachuk and Ferland have. Bennett and Tkachuk were drafted with 1st line upside and IMO Ferland can play the complimentary role on a scoring line. We have the answers within we just need them to continue to develop and improve. Only way I see us adding a big name winger before the season is if we sustain a couple long term injuries in training camp. I just don't see Jagr being a fit anymore and Iginla clearly isn't a fit IMO.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 07-27-2017 at 11:42 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 03:22 AM   #2131
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Don't really see any room for Jagr/Iginla at all unless some serious injuries hit.

Treliving has talked about a lot of improvements coming from within. I think management and the coaching staff think there is more to come from players such as Ferland, Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar, Jankowski, Foo and even Brouwer but in particular the first three I've mentioned. I think the fact we haven't seen a signing of a guy like Jagr shows a lot of of faith in guys like Ferland, Tkachuk and Bennett. If you really believe those guys are 2nd or even 1st line players some point in the future does it really make sense to block their ice time with an aging vet who isn't getting any faster?

Personally I'd rather hand the ice time and the reins to our young talent and see if they can run with it. It's the right time for guys like Bennett, Ferland and Tkachuk to turn the corner and become real forces on this team IMO. If you believe in them as well I don't see why we'd be hoping for a Jagr or Iginla. I would've taken Jagr last year instead of Brouwer. But now everyone's a year older and frankly I'd rather the ice time go to our young core.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer

We have enough players for the top 3 lines including multiple young guys who can fill in or are on the cusp in Lazar, Foo, Jankowski and potentially even guys like Poirier and Klimchuk later. I see no need to add another top two winger right now. If mid season we sustain injuries and we're looking like a real contender then adding a scoring winger at the trade deadline is always a real possibility.

Let's see what Bennett, Tkachuk and Ferland have. Bennett and Tkachuk were drafted with 1st line upside and IMO Ferland can play the complimentary role on a scoring line. We have the answers within we just need them to continue to develop and improve. Only way I see us adding a big name winger before the season is if we sustain a couple long term injuries in training camp. I just don't see Jagr being a fit anymore and Iginla clearly isn't a fit IMO.
I am not sure you staple Brouwer back to Bennett again. Sure, they had (in a small sample size) some decent stats together, but in a larger sample size Brouwer pulled Bennett down. Sure, I will expect Brouwer to have a bounce-back season, but I wouldn't be writing down his name next to Bennett in ink just yet.

I also feel Bennett is best served by playing with guys who can play at Bennett's pace. Gaudreau, Ferland, Lazar, Foo, Poirier, Jankowski and Ferland. Those are players I want to see tried with Bennett. Tkachuk's 'slow skating' is very overblown, and his smarts make up for a lot anyways, so he is worth a try for sure. However, how about the Flames try to make that third line dangerous, fast AND difficult to play against?

Ferland - Bennett - Lazar/Foo

Adding Jagr to play alongside Gaudreau and Monahan will work too. What happens with that top line sometimes (that Ferland seemed to help with)? Maintaining possession. Jagr is a possession monster. His skill will compliment that line so nicely as well. Like Tkachuk, he doesn't need to be fast - he is so smart and knows where to go, him being one of the best players of all time and all..

I don't see why people get so adamant that adding a Jagr or Iginla (assuming fair contracts) is such a poor move. I believe in Poirier, Jankowski, and a bunch of other prospects on the team, but like you said injuries will always happen.

You can make a reasonable explanation as to why Jagr or Iginla can fit on the team better than replacement level. Iginla for his toughness and leadership, Jagr for his skills and leadership. They both can show the youth on this team the importance of eating right and training right in order to have limited injuries and be able to play hockey into their 40's.

I am really high on a few prospects, but I don't see a Jagr or Iginla being any kind of a roadblock. Either one will be a one-year deal at (what I assume) lower dollars. There will be injuries. They both have a fit and aren't thrown into lineups simply for nostalgia reasons.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #2132
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

A big no to adding anyone else over 35.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #2133
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer

Hopefully Sam is kept away from Brouwer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Par For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 12:01 PM   #2134
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Hopefully Sam is kept away from Brouwer.
Agreed. Let Backlund really earn that extension and see if he and Frolik can salvage Brouwer and help him bounce back. That allows Tkachuk a shot with Bennett or the top line
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #2135
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really hope to see Tkachuk with Bennett this year.

Bring Jankowski in with Backlund and Frolik.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #2136
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Agreed. Let Backlund really earn that extension and see if he and Frolik can salvage Brouwer and help him bounce back. That allows Tkachuk a shot with Bennett or the top line
If Backlund can help salvage Brouwer, than Backlund should get $ 6 million per year plus all he can eat at Boston Pizza for a year courtesy of Brad Treliving and the Treliving family.

Last edited by Par; 07-28-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #2137
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I am not sure you staple Brouwer back to Bennett again. Sure, they had (in a small sample size) some decent stats together, but in a larger sample size Brouwer pulled Bennett down. Sure, I will expect Brouwer to have a bounce-back season, but I wouldn't be writing down his name next to Bennett in ink just yet.

I also feel Bennett is best served by playing with guys who can play at Bennett's pace. Gaudreau, Ferland, Lazar, Foo, Poirier, Jankowski and Ferland. Those are players I want to see tried with Bennett. Tkachuk's 'slow skating' is very overblown, and his smarts make up for a lot anyways, so he is worth a try for sure. However, how about the Flames try to make that third line dangerous, fast AND difficult to play against?

Ferland - Bennett - Lazar/Foo

Adding Jagr to play alongside Gaudreau and Monahan will work too. What happens with that top line sometimes (that Ferland seemed to help with)? Maintaining possession. Jagr is a possession monster. His skill will compliment that line so nicely as well. Like Tkachuk, he doesn't need to be fast - he is so smart and knows where to go, him being one of the best players of all time and all..

I don't see why people get so adamant that adding a Jagr or Iginla (assuming fair contracts) is such a poor move. I believe in Poirier, Jankowski, and a bunch of other prospects on the team, but like you said injuries will always happen.

You can make a reasonable explanation as to why Jagr or Iginla can fit on the team better than replacement level. Iginla for his toughness and leadership, Jagr for his skills and leadership. They both can show the youth on this team the importance of eating right and training right in order to have limited injuries and be able to play hockey into their 40's.

I am really high on a few prospects, but I don't see a Jagr or Iginla being any kind of a roadblock. Either one will be a one-year deal at (what I assume) lower dollars. There will be injuries. They both have a fit and aren't thrown into lineups simply for nostalgia reasons.
I think that line would be good but what if they tried Bennett-Jankowski-Foo, that line would be fast and hard contain.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #2138
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
I think that line would be good but what if they tried Bennett-Jankowski-Foo, that line would be fast and hard contain.

Hold your horses cowboy, two of those players have to prove they can play in the NHL first and the other has yet to crack 40 points.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #2139
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Lol @ people who want to breakup a line that was considered one of the top 3 lines in the Nhl last season.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #2140
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Lol @ people who want to breakup a line that was considered one of the top 3 lines in the Nhl last season.
Yep, I think the closest thing we can have to a guarantee to start the season would be seeing

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Closed Thread