Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #101
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like not everyone is pleased with the interview.

'Privileged' Justin Trudeau accused of colonialist attitude over boxing match

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 07-27-2017 at 04:28 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #102
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I wish you guys had the same level of skepticism over Harper, but I guess Canada is quickly becoming as hardline partisan as the US.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #103
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Look, we can go back and forth about this all we want and I'm really not all that interested but riddle me this:

Take Trudeau's resume, change his last name, do you think he is where he is now?

And just a quick reminder:

Which he does not have.

But trotting out quotes from...what? The director of an 'Elite Private School?' Yeah, whats he going to say about a former pupil whose family paid huge money to have him there and who the school is likely banking on continuing to get money from?

Yeah, Trudeau. Is he just that good? He doesnt need qualifications or certifications or experience, hes Trudeau!

Maybe some of of the criticism is valid? Not of the 'Drama Teacher' nonsense, that crap doesnt matter.
Blah blah blah. Show me Harper's resume before he became PM. Not exactly PM material either.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #104
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I wish you guys had the same level of skepticism over Harper, but I guess Canada is quickly becoming as hardline partisan as the US.
Yeah but Harper was a good ol' Albertan guy.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #105
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Literally nothing you said is factual. All innuendo; nothing substantive.
I dont see you offering anything at all. Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Blah blah blah. Show me Harper's resume before he became PM. Not exactly PM material either.
Quote:
Harper became involved in politics as a member of his high school's Young Liberals Club.[22] He later changed his political allegiance because he disagreed with the National Energy Program (NEP) of Pierre Trudeau's Liberal government.[23] He became chief aide to Progressive Conservative MP Jim Hawkes in 1985, but later became disillusioned with the party and the government of Brian Mulroney, especially the administration's fiscal policy[22] and its inability to fully revoke the NEP until 1986. He left the PC Party that same year.[24]

He was then recommended by the University of Calgary's economist Bob Mansell to Preston Manning, the founder and leader of the Reform Party of Canada. At that time Harper "didn't see himself as a politician", Mansell told CBC News in 2002, adding, "Politics was not his first love."[25]

Manning invited him to participate in the party, and Harper gave a speech at Reform's 1987 founding convention in Winnipeg. He became the Reform Party's Chief Policy Officer, and he played a major role in drafting the 1988 election platform.[25] He is credited with creating Reform's campaign slogan, "The West wants in!"[26]

Harper ran for the Canadian House of Commons in the 1988 federal election, appearing on the ballot as Steve Harper in Calgary West and losing by a wide margin to Hawkes, his former employer. After Reform candidate Deborah Grey was elected as the party's first MP in a 1989 by-election, Harper became Grey's executive assistant, and was her chief adviser and speechwriter until 1993.[21] He remained prominent in the Reform Party's national organization in his role as policy chief, encouraging the party to expand beyond its Western base, and arguing that strictly regional parties were at risk of being taken over by radical elements.[27] He delivered a speech at the Reform Party's 1991 national convention, in which he condemned extremist views.[28]

Harper's relationship with Manning became strained in 1992, because of conflicting strategies over the Charlottetown Accord. Harper opposed the Accord on principle for ideological reasons, while Manning was initially more open to compromise. Harper also criticized Manning's decision to hire Rick Anderson as an adviser, believing that Anderson was not sufficiently committed to the Reform Party's principles.[29] He resigned as policy chief in October, 1992.

Harper stood for office again in the 1993 federal election, and defeated Jim Hawkes amid a significant Reform breakthrough in Western Canada. His campaign likely benefited from a $50,000 print and television campaign organized by the National Citizens Coalition against Hawkes, although the NCC did not endorse Harper directly.[30]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephe..._and_education

This is the last time. In future you'll have to learn to do your own research. Otherwise I understand why your opinions are what they are, you only know what you're told.

And whats funny? I didnt much like Harper either, I thought he was a Dinosaur.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #106
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Yeah but Harper was a good ol' Albertan guy.
As someone who lived in Alberta for almost 25 years, and having a ton of friends posting all kinds of dishonest memes on the NDP government and Trudeau, I weep for Canada.

Liberals, Conservatives, both have had a decades long hand in dismantling the middle class of Canada, not to the degree of the US but still we live now in a world where crony capitalism rules our legistlation, at least in Iceland there is a fair bit more awareness of the state of our own democracy, but then again it took a collapse of our economy and government of epic proportions to wake most people up.

I see far too many parallels with Trump supporters in Canada now with my old Albertan friends and their blind loyalty to the conservative party, but then again at least the idiot Dragon O'leary is gone.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #107
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Funny you should mention that. Liberal Party supporters LOVED to trash Harper for his career trajectory. Then they get upset when the tables are turned.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #108
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Literally nothing you said is factual. All innuendo; nothing substantive.
Garbage. look up his attendance record as an MP.

Look up what he was doing when he was skipping out on the house of commons to make speeches where he was getting paid. Its all there

He called an MP a piece of sh%t in sessions, but I guess that's the strength of his debating skills.

Look at his time as Liberal leader in the opposition and who was running the question period for the Liberals, it wasn't Justin, it was Goodale.

Justin was a subpar MP.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #109
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I see far too many parallels with Trump supporters in Canada now with my old Albertan friends and their blind loyalty to the conservative party, but then again at least the idiot Dragon O'leary is gone.
That's a nice pedestal you've put yourself upon and all, but if you think "party loyalty" is a recent phenomenon or one that is exclusive to conservative supporters, then you might be the single most politically ignorant person on this forum.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #110
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I don't understand why some people keep bringing up his teaching career as if Trudeau should be embarrassed by it. Are teachers shamed in Alberta or something?

He went to UBC, McGill, was involved in politics for 7 years and is now PM. I'm not sure why he should be embarrassed by that?

You don't like him, fine, I get it. But to bring up his teaching career or schooling like it's something he should be ashamed of is pretty ridiculous, imo.
I have nothing against teachers (my mother was a teacher for 30 years) and I value the important work they do. But don't kid yourself, it's not an overly challenging career path from an intellectual standpoint. And to be clear, if he had taught for a decade or so leading up to his political career and gained increasing responsibility (as a department head or similar) along the way, I would have much more respect for the man.

That's unfortunately not the case. He dabbled in teaching - mainly as a sub -
quit after a couple years, attempted and failed an engineering degree at Polytechnique, then dropped out of an environmental geography program at McGill. It's behaviour characteristic of someone who has never had to work to support themselves - a silver spoon child.

I didn't say that I don't like him or that he should be ashamed of his background, but compared to his predecessors, it's nothing to admire. It's a fair and justified point.

Quote:
He doesn't have a Master's Degree? Who gives a fata? It clearly didn't disqualify him (nor should it have), so what do you care that he didn't stay at University an extra two years when he was 23?
I believe that the PM should be one our best and brightest, not a man of unremarkable mediocrity. Not necessarily a Master's, but some proof of above average intellectual aptitude would be nice. That's just my preference, I guess I'm an elitist.

When you look at the credentials of King (MA and Phd, Harvard), Pearson (BA and MA, Oxford), Trudeau Sr. (MA, Harvard, Sciences Po), Turner (MA, Oxford), and Campbell (LSE); today's leaders clearly don't compare (and I'll slot Harper in this category too).
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #111
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
That's a nice pedestal you've put yourself upon and all, but if you think "party loyalty" is a recent phenomenon or one that is exclusive to conservative supporters, then you might be the single most politically ignorant person on this forum.
Partisan politics were created in Canada in 2015.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #112
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

An example of blind partisanship at it's finest:

Quote:
Its not his teaching career that has any relevance at all, its that he was no good at it.
= Random claim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
= Evidence immediately disproving random claim

Quote:
Look, we can go back and forth about this all we want and I'm really not all that interested
= Deflection, moving of the goalposts, and inability to say "I was wrong."

Like or dislike the PM all you want, but when some people say 'this is the problem' and are shown it wasn't a problem, the correct response is a retraction, not scrambling to come up with another reason why you feel the way you feel while saying you're "not interested" in discussing the point you brought up. If you're not interested, don't bring it up.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #113
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
As someone who lived in Alberta for almost 25 years, and having a ton of friends posting all kinds of dishonest memes on the NDP government and Trudeau, I weep for Canada.

Liberals, Conservatives, both have had a decades long hand in dismantling the middle class of Canada, not to the degree of the US but still we live now in a world where crony capitalism rules our legistlation, at least in Iceland there is a fair bit more awareness of the state of our own democracy, but then again it took a collapse of our economy and government of epic proportions to wake most people up.

Maybe you should buy a wider brush because the one your painting us with is still a little narrow.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #114
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Guess I'm ignorant for calling out the hyper partisan things I'm seeing from old friends in AB, not the ones based in fact, but the dishonest memes I keep seeing in the US with Trump supporters.

I just am fed up with liberals, conservatives, libertarians, anyone who just gives loyalty to a political party like they do for a sports team, and yes this phenomenon is not new, but unlike 10 years ago, 20 years ago, the level of hyper partisanship is reaching new levels with technology and ideological bubbles on social media.

But then what do I know, I'm a pretty ignorant guy.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #115
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Maybe you should buy a wider brush because the one your painting us with is still a little narrow.
Are you one of my friends on facebook from AB? Did I say all people from AB, did I say all conservatives, did I see anything like that?
Old 07-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #116
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think you are out of touch with what's going on in Canada. The political climate here is nothing like that in the United States. The fact that your friends on Facebook are posting memes is not indicative of anything other than a high likelihood that the sample skews towards lower educational and socioeconomic backgrounds. As a counterpoint, I'm a born and raised Calgarian and the political discussions I encounter are generally intelligent and civil. For example, take a look at the stupidity on display in American politics thread and how that contrasts with the lively policy discussion typical to the Canadian politics threads.

Also, I'm not sure how the middle class is relevant to your point, but whether you define it by income quantiles or net worth, it certainly is not in decline in Canada. Wage growth has not stagnated here, as it has in the US, and we have among the best inter-generational income mobility in the western world.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #117
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
= Evidence immediately disproving random claim
You're considering an article with 10 Reddit quotes and a few tweets evidence? That's a pretty low standard for proof. The quotes say he was "well-liked, friendly, and goofy in class" - this may well be true but it doesn't mean he was competent.

Why did he never get a full-time teaching gig? Why did he quit teaching? Why do all of his official biographies gloss over these years? As there's not much information out there about his time before entering politics, it's reasonable to draw conclusions from what is concrete.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #118
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Where is the evidence that he wasn't good at his job? Genuinely, has there been something written on that or did locke pull it out of his ass because he doesn't like the guy?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 09:46 PM   #119
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Crickets.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #120
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Reality 101
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote