Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:
Default Is it irresponsible to post the personal information of others on the Internet/CP?

Even just names - I've noticed some people on this forum post full names of their children including photos, etc.

But there is other information people divulge that isn't their own (somebody posted the full name of a kid their son went to school with because they were on the same football team).

I can't really think of any good reason not to post that kind of information, other than I can't really think of any good reason to post that information.

IDK, what are your guys' thoughts on it?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It seems like way too broad a question to answer with just a simple yes or no as there are likely cases where both are the right answer but I guess in a general sense it is probably best not to post that kind of information in most situations.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends on the level of info, but personally, I view this forum as anonymous entertainment that should be left that way unless I decide to say so otherwise. If someone wants to release personal information and intersperse it with forum life, that's fine, but I would definitely not approve of someone doing that about me without my consent.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Why do you ask, Steven Greyson of 154 Mullberry Lane?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope Photon doesn't go all Wikileaks on us.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

If someone wants to divulge information about themselves, go for it. But I don't think that posters should share information about other posters on a public forum without their consent. If it happened outside of CP, keep it outside of CP.

My personal life is fairly boring, I'm sure, and I don't see why anyone on here would benefit from knowing more detail about it. I think that only one other CP member knows who I am personally, and I have only ever met a couple of others briefly while buying something or giving something away. I would expect that none of them would come on here and post something personal about me if it happened in the "real world".
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends.

This is an extreme example but say I have a son in grade 8 and him and his classmate Johnny did a kick ass job on their science project, so I took a photo of them beside it for my photo album.

Then I decide, you know what, I'm really proud of my son's accomplishment, I'm gonna post that photo on CP to share with all my internet friends because it's pretty cool and my son made a bad ass science project.

Little do I know that Johnny's name used to be Jeffy and uncle Sliver just got out of jail on drug charges because Johnny's mother ratted him out, and he's looking for them to settle a score. It's not hard to find out where I live and where my kid goes to school, I use my real name on here and meet up with people in my area of the city for transactions.

So yeah, sometimes it can be inappropriate, you can be dealing with big issues that might not be apparent on the surface and something as innocent as posting a picture can turn into something a lot bigger and more sinister. This is an open public forum, I would be careful about divulging information about anyone but yourself.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The poster known as 'Kybosh' is actually a conglomerate of convicts at the Bowden penitentiary using their computer learning time inappropriately.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Any word from any of the people that freely post their kids' names? I'm sure you paused to ask yourself if it was a good idea before you did it...what was your rationale behind doing it? I'm just curious and not judging your decision one way or another. As I said, I can't think of a good reason not to, but as I can't think of a good reason to do it, I won't.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Depends.

This is an extreme example but say I have a son in grade 8 and him and his classmate Johnny did a kick ass job on their science project, so I took a photo of them beside it for my photo album.

Then I decide, you know what, I'm really proud of my son's accomplishment, I'm gonna post that photo on CP to share with all my internet friends because it's pretty cool and my son made a bad ass science project.

Little do I know that Johnny's name used to be Jeffy and uncle Sliver just got out of jail on drug charges because Johnny's mother ratted him out, and he's looking for them to settle a score. It's not hard to find out where I live and where my kid goes to school, I use my real name on here and meet up with people in my area of the city for transactions.

So yeah, sometimes it can be inappropriate, you can be dealing with big issues that might not be apparent on the surface and something as innocent as posting a picture can turn into something a lot bigger and more sinister. This is an open public forum, I would be careful about divulging information about anyone but yourself.
Isn't this the plot to Kindergarten Cop?
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Any word from any of the people that freely post their kids' names? I'm sure you paused to ask yourself if it was a good idea before you did it...what was your rationale behind doing it? I'm just curious and not judging your decision one way or another. As I said, I can't think of a good reason not to, but as I can't think of a good reason to do it, I won't.

I think that if you posted your real name, a LOT of dog owners would "casually" stroll by your house every day of the week- after looking up where you lived.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I think that if you posted your real name, a LOT of dog owners would "casually" stroll by your house every day of the week- after looking up where you lived.
hah probably. "This guy thinks dogs suck?! I'll show him by having my dog come by and bark and crap on his lawn!!!"

But seriously, there are probably one or two that would.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
hah probably. "This guy thinks dogs suck?! I'll show him by having my dog come by and bark and crap on his lawn!!!"

But then I'd have to go to Bonavista. Blech.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I'm more concerned that I've posted pics of my dogs.

... As to my kids, (who are all adults) I would only post stuff that is already "out there".
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'd bring my attack Yorkie and she'd lick your hand to the bone. You and your daughter would be very upset

To your thread topic- I don't think it's a good idea to explicitly post any personal information online, but I am considering it on CP in the near future (stay tuned for those who are curious).
Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I view this forum as anonymous entertainment that should be left that way unless I decide to say so otherwise.
I think that's the key. You should only post information you have consent to post.

Table 5, you, I and others have posted our business information on CP. That gives everyone access to our names, emails, etc. That doesn't give them to right to post photos they search for of us on CP. But it's also risk you take by posting that information on the web (not just CP).

I've met Sliver, and others, through the buy and sell forum. I have their names, number and could easily use that info to get more information about them. Same for me. You just have to be cautious and aware of what people could do with your information.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Depends.

This him?

valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Isn't this the plot to Kindergarten Cop?
It's not a tumah!!
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
jhunt223
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No. I think the most appalling thing in the whole Virgin Auction thread was when people started trying to find out what the j stands for.
jhunt223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhunt223 For This Useful Post:

Tags
privacy