Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #61
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used an eliptical when I was heavier (and still do) because it removes the impact. No, it's not natural, but it's not a bad movement.

Now I mix in interval jogging and incline walks at a pace faster than I normally walk, but elipticals are awesome.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #62
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

This particular comment by me is purely anecdotal as I haven't done much research on this specific area, but for me, I am much more likely to start dealing with nagging injuries and pains when I consistently choose running for my choice of cardio. I know some people suggest that it is a more natural movement, but I don't deal with any issues when I regularly choose the elliptical (or variation).

For what it is worth, I have been in this game a long time and just calculated that I probably spend around 130-140 hours a year on the elliptical.

I admit that 140 hours running outside would be considerably more enjoyable, but I have traditionally scheduled in my cardio (for the sake of time management) to immediately follow my weight lifting sessions, which means doing it at the gym. Certainly I could structure things so that I run outside immediately after getting home from gym, or possibly run on off gym days, but I am very systematic in my approach to fitness. I am confident in saying that I know what I am doing when it comes to fitness and nutrition and indoor cardio at the gym just works better for me. And as mentioned, the nagging injuries/pains I have dealt with in the past from running are a factor. I am very much focused on having my legs ready to go on leg day, and time has shown me that elliptical on one day does not effect me if it is followed the next day by an intense leg workout. Running on the other hand...

The caloric expenditures of actual running vs indoor elliptical is of secondary importance to me in this conversation. The estimate of the number of hours I spend on the elliptical a year may be off, as I still do throw in occasional outdoor and indoor running sessions instead, but the vast majority of my cardio is on the elliptical.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 08-15-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #63
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

At the end of the day, whatever works best for you, IS best for you. I personally don't like the movement of the elliptical. I also don't like or recommend running to anyone.

Cardio can be done with weights too. Or with body weight exercises.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #64
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody know where I can get the Heavy ropes besides having to order it online?

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #65
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
In a thread like this and the title not being "do you even lift, bro?" Is highly unacceptable.
SeeGeeWhy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #66
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I've been working out for 4 months, 3 times a week. I notice a difference but I don't think any one would notice. It's not huge. My arms and chest look stronger to me.

Should there be a huge difference in 4 months?

Basically for the last 7 years I have done very little exercise on a regular basis. When I go to the gym my routine is similar to the OP. I do almost every machine in there. The thing is I'm 183 cm, 70 kg but my core is really soft. I'm skinny-fat, so don't know if I should do cardio because my face already looks quite thin.

Any advice?
Sounds like you're ready to graduate away from machines and begin using light free weights, barbell and body weight exercises. Squats, Deadlifts, Pull Ups, etc.

Quite honestly you sound like you have the body type that is well suited to develop great calisthenic strength. Look into gymnastic strength training... I really like the gymnastic bodies program by Chris Sommers.
SeeGeeWhy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #67
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
Anybody know where I can get the Heavy ropes besides having to order it online?
have you ever tried them? I have and found it to be a very inefficient use of time, used the things for a few minutes and it was barely an exercise and felt like I was just flapping my arms around with little energy expenditure. Even when I was really trying to whip them hard and put a lot of energy into it. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #68
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Down 4 pounds but down over an inch.

10 min warm up
Weight lifting
20-30 min cardio and I swear I sweat off a pound of water. Take protein shake right after working out. Muscles are starting to show, and the fat is melting away
Old 08-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #69
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
At the end of the day, whatever works best for you, IS best for you. I personally don't like the movement of the elliptical. I also don't like or recommend running to anyone.

Cardio can be done with weights too. Or with body weight exercises.

I'm not a fan of elliptical either but my knees thank me
Old 08-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #70
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does anybody have any suggestions for muscle mass/weight gain?

I'm a slimmer guy who's pretty well toned, and do upper body strength training routines (that were suggested online) fairly regularly now and am running around at work almost everyday. But with my metabolism, gaining that muscle mass is tough, and I'm not quite the size I'm looking to get to. I'm trying these protein supplements that are aimed at mass gain, with about 800-1000 calories/serving when mixed in a glass of milk. Also am eating plenty of natural proteins in ham, chicken, beef etc, but bulking up is difficult. Any tips from those who've found some success in doing this? Would be interested to hear from others.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #71
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

I'm a slimmer guy who's pretty well toned, and do upper body strength training routines (that were suggested online) fairly regularly now and am running around at work almost everyday. But with my metabolism, gaining that muscle mass is tough, and I'm not quite the size I'm looking to get to. I'm trying these protein supplements that are aimed at mass gain, with about 800-1000 calories/serving when mixed in a glass of milk. Also am eating plenty of natural proteins in ham, chicken, beef etc, but bulking up is difficult. Any tips from those who've found some success in doing this? Would be interested to hear from others.
Im in that same high metabolism group but after two years am finally seeing some big gains. Stay away from cardio and focus on weights. Eat small portions throughout the day and make sure you are never starving. Your body needs protein for proper brain function, nervous system etc. if it can't get it from food it will get it from your existing muscle. Remeber balance, proper sleep, nutrition and above all stay away from a stressful lifestyle.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #72
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks, that's some great advice. I'm guilty of going through couple hour periods of being really hungry from time to time. Will try to limit that from happening.

Have been aiming at keeping on the weights more than cardio as well. Hopefully with this steady routine and eating right, will start to see gains sooner than later.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #73
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
have you ever tried them? I have and found it to be a very inefficient use of time, used the things for a few minutes and it was barely an exercise and felt like I was just flapping my arms around with little energy expenditure. Even when I was really trying to whip them hard and put a lot of energy into it. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.
I haven't tried them and would like to see how it works, I've seen the trainers at Goodlife use them for some of their clients but I can't seem to find the ropes anywhere so I assume its the trainer's own rope.

CPHL Dallas Stars
Old 08-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #74
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It is quite easy to make a homemade gainer shake that isnt loaded with all the refined sugar that the prepackaged ones are- scoop of protein, whole milk, oats, bananas, and some peanut butter. You can blend the oats first to turn it into a powder.

Anyway, ectomorphs with a fast metabolism will have a considerably higher BMR than others, but getting getting a caloric intake of your BMR + exercise expenditures + 500 or so should see you put on muscle mass. This of course must be accompanied by a solid work out plan that includes upper and lower body. With your goals, perhaps a work out plan that really includes the basic compound exercises is ideal- heavy lifting in the 6-10 rep range. As mentioned above, avoiding cardio at first may be ideal.

Either way, a caloric surplus is the key to putting on mass- and certainly you don't need to be stingy on carbs. A 35% protein, 45% carbs, 20% fats may be the sort of ratio you are looking for- while those in a leaning out phase would certianly want to lower the carbs considerably.

The last thing to consider is that progress can be slow, but monitoring your results is a great idea- is the amount you can lift increasing over time, is your own body weight increasing etc. Most importantly, you cant be afraid to put on a little body fat at first. If see too much coming on, perhaps scale back the calories or introduce cardio.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #75
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

You might want to look at this program:

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...ast-workout.do

It's strictly for mass gains, comes with a nutrition plan, recipes, meal plan, when and how to eat, and breaks it up into phases to give you max gains. I'm starting it on Monday. Program is on sale now as well which makes it nice, at least for me anyways.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:56 PM   #76
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have any of you tried this out that aren't lactose intolerant? I'm afraid to do it as anything I eat or drink it tends to just go right through me within minutes.

1000 Calorie Weight Gainer Shake
To make this shake, simply add the following into a blender, and mix well:
2 cups of Whole Milk
2 tbsp of Peanut Butter
1 large Banana
2 ounces of Heavy Cream
2 scoops of chocolate Whey Protein Powder

CPHL Dallas Stars
Old 08-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #77
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

down 4 lbs and 2"
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PIMking For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #78
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

CPHL Dallas Stars
The Following User Says Thank You to t0rrent98 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #79
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
Have any of you tried this out that aren't lactose intolerant? I'm afraid to do it as anything I eat or drink it tends to just go right through me within minutes.

1000 Calorie Weight Gainer Shake
To make this shake, simply add the following into a blender, and mix well:
2 cups of Whole Milk
2 tbsp of Peanut Butter
1 large Banana
2 ounces of Heavy Cream
2 scoops of chocolate Whey Protein Powder
This is similar to the shake I mentioned a few posts back, except it includes heavy cream instead of oats. The difference between the two will be about 20 grams of fat vs maybe 20 grams of carbs (depending on quantity of oats). The cream will obviously have a higher caloric value, which is what you are looking for, but i am not sure about the quality or type of fats in heavy cream. The heavy cream one would probably taste pretty good. Hell, use both!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #80
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

throwing this query in this thread as it seems related rather than creating a fresh one...

What are your thoughts on pre-workout supplements? Examples: Superpump, NOexplode, etc?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote