Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #3301
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Dexter?
Is there another show where this happened? Also yeah the wights just having a massive chain lying around is definitely one of the lazier writing efforts of the season.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #3302
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
The whole capture a zombie side plot bugged me.

Why didn't they just fly a dragon up there in the first place and snatch one in a day if this is their main focus now?

Also, where in the hell did the White Walkers get a pile of giant chains to pull the dead dragon out of the lake? All they have shown thus far is a shambling horde of corpses.

They've been carrying giant chain around with them the whole time? WTF.
Again it's a problem if you assume that scene happens immediately after. They could go get chains and be pulling the dragon out days later.

Plus... who cares
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #3303
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Why didn't they just fly a dragon up there in the first place and snatch one in a day if this is their main focus now?

Also, where in the hell did the White Walkers get a pile of giant chains to pull the dead dragon out of the lake? All they have shown thus far is a shambling horde of corpses.

They've been carrying giant chain around with them the whole time? WTF.
Because Dany still wasn't convinced enough of the threat / didn't have enough motivation to send her "children" up over the wall. And I don't believe had yet realized how she felt about Jon until the squad got in trouble. So she was like "oh look another boy trying to prove how brave he is, well go ahead!"

There are thousands of them, and we probably haven't been seeing the whole army on screen. Maybe they have been lugging a few around. Seeing as it looks like the whole thing was a trap to begin with (a small group of them left vulnerable then the whole army rushes and surrounds them after, while the WWs just looked on?) and was possibly in the Night King's plans to strengthen their army.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #3304
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Is there another show where this happened? Also yeah the wights just having a massive chain lying around is definitely one of the lazier writing efforts of the season.
I mean, they conveniently had a massive ice spear too, is a chain really that big a leap?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #3305
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I mean, they conveniently had a massive ice spear too, is a chain really that big a leap?
In fairness if they can make whatever they want out of ice just wrapping an icicle around a stick doesnt seem like a huge stretch.

Also: Magic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #3306
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Or horses...
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RatherDashing For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #3307
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

The only thing this show is 'suffering' from is some moron decided to not give the filmmakers more episodes.

2-3 more in this season would have made a huge difference.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #3308
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was Benioff and Weiss themselves who wanted to wrap it up after 73 episodes. If they're rushing to the finish line, it's by their own choice.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/...s-last-w431820

Quote:
"[Benioff and Weiss] have a very specific plan about the number of seasons they want to do," Bloys said at the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills on Saturday. "Believe me, as the new [programming president] coming in, if I could get them to do more. I would take 10 more seasons. But we take their lead on what they think they can do the best version of the show."

In a previous interview, Benioff and Weiss suggested that they were aiming to do only two more seasons to bring the series to the vicinity of 73 episodes.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #3309
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Again it's a problem if you assume that scene happens immediately after. They could go get chains and be pulling the dragon out days later.

Plus... who cares
Get chains from where though?

That scene could be ten years later. Its not like the White Walkers have blacksmiths. The whole wight army is shambling around in rags.

Sure its not a huge deal, but I find when writers start ignoring details, then it gets harder to immerse yourself in the show.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #3310
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the chains came from Hardhome. Or maybe they do have smiths. The white walkers wear armour after all, and nobody has seemed to complain about that. There are plenty of unknowns about the white walkers.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #3311
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

One more sleep!!! Posting an awesome image/gif. No spoilers but putting in spoilers for size.

Spoiler!
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #3312
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

One comment I read said the chains look like anchor/mooring chains. Hardhome was a port. Would it be unreasonable to think they'd have a supply of chains there?
Old 08-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #3313
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Get chains from where though?

That scene could be ten years later. Its not like the White Walkers have blacksmiths. The whole wight army is shambling around in rags.

Sure its not a huge deal, but I find when writers start ignoring details, then it gets harder to immerse yourself in the show.
They killed people who had chains
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #3314
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forget about where the White Walkers got their chains from.

What I want to know is, who was making new outfits for Bran north of the Wall? The kid doubled in size while they were up there.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:12 AM   #3315
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Children of the forest? Maybe they can sew some skins together, or maybe uncle Benjen gave him some hand-me-downs. haha

Really looking forward and dreading this last episode. Dreading because we'll have to wait another year to close this out. Looking forward to because it looks (from the trailer) like there'll be lots of interesting dialogue. The meeting with all the surviving main characters coming together should be outstanding. I'm wondering if Cersei is going to try anything crazy.

We'll hopefully also get some more insight into who's playing who in Winterfell. If Sansa completely falls for Littlefinger's games again it'll be a little disappointing.
Can't wait!!
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fanman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #3316
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
One comment I read said the chains look like anchor/mooring chains. Hardhome was a port. Would it be unreasonable to think they'd have a supply of chains there?
Nope, they left a bunch of boats there when Jon and the wildlings ran

It makes complete sense they would have chains from there
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:02 AM   #3317
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah the good old wind down episode. This year's cliffhanger will be fascinating!
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #3318
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman View Post
Dreading because we'll have to wait another year to close this out. !
A year at best. Has been plenty of talk about the final season not airing until 2019.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #3319
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman View Post
^Children of the forest? Maybe they can sew some skins together, or maybe uncle Benjen gave him some hand-me-downs. haha

Really looking forward and dreading this last episode. Dreading because we'll have to wait another year to close this out. Looking forward to because it looks (from the trailer) like there'll be lots of interesting dialogue. The meeting with all the surviving main characters coming together should be outstanding. I'm wondering if Cersei is going to try anything crazy.

We'll hopefully also get some more insight into who's playing who in Winterfell. If Sansa completely falls for Littlefinger's games again it'll be a little disappointing.
Can't wait!!
My expectations for the armistice encounter will be a near eruption of hostilities, followed by an uneasy truce that Cersei will plan to betray at her earliest possible opportunity.

My take on the Winterfell situation is that Sansa is well aware of Littlefinger's machinations, but is trying to get a read on how Arya will react and behave. She'll eventually pull the rug out from under Littlefinger and Arya will then see the truth and learn a lesson about the larger game, not the one on one business of assassination, swordplay, and murder. I don't expect this plot to be resolved tonight.

But yes, it will be interesting to see how the finale unfolds. Not to mention the goddamn Ice Dragon. That's going to be instrumental in the breach of The Wall, right? I mean, it almost has to be at this point.

Also, Bran needs to do something tonight. Not just stare through people and talk like Yoda. He needs to contribute something of significance and weight to the unfolding story. Well, rather, I hope he contributes this. We'll see!

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 08-27-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #3320
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I think I've figured out what the ultimate plot is, the overarching thing that is the foundation of the story they're trying to tell. This simple thing makes it all make sense, it changes how you see it all.

Spoiler!

Everything else in the show serves that single idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: