Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2017, 05:18 AM   #2501
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Bran Wargs into George R. R. Martin and the show ends with us watching him type out the last few lines of the book on his computer a la Stand By Me. I'd be fine with that ending.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 07:57 AM   #2502
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Maybe that's how Bran dies. Could explain how morose he is all the time, if he knows he's going to die. After the previous 3 eyed raven said Bran would fly, it'd be a bit of a letdown if he doesn't warg into a dragon.
Though him being the Raven could be considered fufillment of that prophecy
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:22 AM   #2503
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is John Snow secretive about the knife in the heart? Is the whole coming back from the dead thing supposed to be a secret? Hard to imagine they could do that seeing the entire Night's Watch saw him die.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #2504
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why is John Snow secretive about the knife in the heart? Is the whole coming back from the dead thing supposed to be a secret? Hard to imagine they could do that seeing the entire Night's Watch saw him die.
I think he just didn't want to sound even more ridiculous to her.

"oh and btw, I'm also technically a zombie"
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #2505
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He wasn't being secretive. He was just getting uncomfortable with Davos hyping him up.
Johnny Makarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #2506
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post

This was my impression as well.

At the moment he sounded pretty batcrap nuts, no need to pile on the crazy.

I mentioned it a few pages ago when Mellisandre left, she should have told Dany:

"Hey, when he starts talking about 'The Army of the Dead' and the 'Night King' I know he may sound nuts but hes not. Trust me. Those are things. Things you really have to worry about.

Oh! And the whole 'coming back from the dead' thing? Yeah...thats a thing that happened. I did that. That one is on me.

Anyhoodles...I dont think he was altogether pleased about that....or me burning a child at the stake as a tribute to my God, so we're kinda 'Friends Off' at the moment, so I should go. But hes not crazy."

I'm telling you, I should write the dialogue for this show.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #2507
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I said this before, but beyond setting up for Bran to reveal more later, I think the scene had two purposes.

1. Establish that he's not in control of his power yet. He mentions everything being in pieces.
2. Establish that he's not the same anymore. Kid basically has PTSD. He hardly identifies as human. I think this is foreshadowing him going full Three Eyed Raven (crazy man living underground in a tree) or going full on warg and just straight up moving his consciousness into a dragon.
But he was such a dick to Sansa!!!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #2508
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Maybe Bran Wargs into George R. R. Martin and the show ends with us watching him type out the last few lines of the book on his computer a la Stand By Me. I'd be fine with that ending.
I bet that isn't too far off...

The show will end with an interior shot at Horn Hill. Toddler Sam is pretending to roast little White Walker figurines with his dragon figurine. Gilly is in the corner nursing their newborn son, little baby Jon. Lord Samwell Tarly of Horn Hill sits down to write his own history of The Seven Kingdoms, giving it a proper poetic title, "A Song of Ice and Fire".
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #2509
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Though him being the Raven could be considered fufillment of that prophecy
He flies through time? Or actual ravens? Boring.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #2510
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Would it not lend credence to the white walker story if he could prove he had returned from the dead? He would have the scar as well as witnesses to prove it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #2511
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would it not lend credence to the white walker story if he could prove he had returned from the dead? He would have the scar as well as witnesses to prove it.
I think the tone of the engagement was a tad too chilly to be defrosted with a mere Jon Snow striptease.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #2512
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I think there's more to it than that.

Jon doesn't want to be seen as tainted or illegitimate. Is he truly the King of North or just some vessel of Melissandre's magic?

Can he be trusted if he was revived by magic? Does he owe a debt that will undermine his alliance with Daenaerys? Can he be trusted if his own men assassinated him?

Lots of strategic reasons for him to not want to divulge this information to Dany.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #2513
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I think there's more to it than that.

Jon doesn't want to be seen as tainted or illegitimate. Is he truly the King of North or just some vessel of Melissandre's magic?

Can he be trusted if he was revived by magic? Does he owe a debt that will undermine his alliance with Daenaerys? Can he be trusted if his own men assassinated him?

Lots of strategic reasons for him to not want to divulge this information to Dany.
Didn't Dany divulge being violated? Jon didn't reciprocate in the share circle?
Old 08-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #2514
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

If they have a problem believing that the army of the dead exists I think they'll have a serious problem believing he was brought back from the dead himself.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #2515
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Dany should probably take a good hard look at her dragons or stick her hand in a fire and remind herself she can't be burnt before doubting an army of the dead.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #2516
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will never understand the people who complain that the show doesn't spend precious episode time meticulously going over the Iron Islands ship building capacity given their apparent lack of timber or the navigational consequences of sailing from point A to point B with full scope of time included.

You're basically those nerds from The Simpsons who grill the voice of Itchy and Scratchy about how a different note could come from Itchy hitting the same rib on Scratchy come to life.

It's a GD tv show
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #2517
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Dany should probably take a good hard look at her dragons or stick her hand in a fire and remind herself she can't be burnt before doubting an army of the dead.
Yeah, I thought that would have been Jon's perfect response to Dany scoffing at the idea of the White Walkers and the Night's King. He should have said, "That's the same reaction I heard from the Lords of the North when I said I was travelling to Dragonstone, where the Targaryen queen waited with her three dragons."
Old 08-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #2518
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I will never understand the people who complain that the show doesn't spend precious episode time meticulously going over the Iron Islands ship building capacity given their apparent lack of timber or the navigational consequences of sailing from point A to point B with full scope of time included.

You're basically those nerds from The Simpsons who grill the voice of Itchy and Scratchy about how a different note could come from Itchy hitting the same rib on Scratchy come to life.

It's a GD tv show
There is a difference between criticizing ribs and musical notes and introducing an entirely new character with a poorly explored back story who can solve all of Cercei's problem.

Euron has essentially become a Deux ex machina in a show that generally spends a lot of time developing characters. We get all sorts of time devoted to meaningless characters like the San Snakes, but Euron comes out of nowhere, has an entire fleet of ships and seems to be basically anywhere in Westeros instantly. I don't think people are really focusing on what kind of lumber was used for ships, but having a minute or two of screen time to explain the time lines would be helpful.

The writers spent the last few seasons with some rambling and poorly received story lines, ex: the harpy revolution, the San Snakes, Loras, Arya vs. the Waif, etc... They then ran out of time to develop interesting and necessary story lines. Now they're stuck cramming stuff into the last two seasons. It's poor writing and planing.

The problem probably stems from George RR Martin, himself, who didn't reveal the ending to Dan and Dave, because he either wanted to keep it a secret or didn't know himself. Season 5-6 thus spent a lot of time kind of meandering. We had a lot of scenes in Dorne, with the high sparrows, in Mereen in the absence of Dany, etc...but now we can't find 3 extra minutes of screen time to properly explain Euron's timelines or the defeat of the Tyrells? We had 8 minutes of Arya being chased through the city by the Waif...wtf?

It's a great show, but it's not beyond criticism.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 05:32 PM   #2519
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

The character development stuff is fair. I saw a comparison, to go back to the Simpsons, that Euron is basically Poochie. Thrown in at the last minute, with an extreme in-yo-face attitude.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #2520
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I don't understand why people nitpick it so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I really don't get all the complaining.
In life there are people that enjoy things and there are people that enjoy complaining about things. It's like a whole worldview or something inherent in their personality. Pretty insufferable though if you're on the other side of the fence and actually enjoy things. Very hard for these two different types of people to converse and understand each other. Color me not surprised at all at Tinordi hating on things in GoT. Isn't that pretty much his MO in every topic at hand? Pretty miserable way of viewing the world IMO but I don't really understand it. Maybe he has a good reason to be a miserable people I dunno.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 08-02-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote