Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2024, 01:11 AM   #13961
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Agreed, which is why I tend to give out advice on the board rather frequently.

One of the major problems is that Mr. Computer can only do what he's told and the humans behind him keep getting dumber and dumber.

As for 'blitzing entire industries?'

Lets just say...this is way, way more common than people realize. I've gone through many phases of this kind of targeting.

CRA is not there to work for you. Its an actual conflict between the Government and the populace.

Speaking of which...remember when Trudeau gave CRA $1 Billion to start cracking down on off-shore sheltering schemes? Hows that been working out?
Yup. Tax divisions are one of the only regulatory bodies out there that get to say you're guilty until proven innocent.

And people have to consider the CRA like a business. They're in the business of collecting the most money according to their rules with as little effort as possible to show a higher profit margin.

The CERB complaints mentioned earlier make me chuckle. Halfway through that program, I started believing that a portion of that program was a honey pot trap and CRA might have been using it to figure out which taxpayers to put a target on, and then start to investigate affiliated and related parties and consider putting a target on them too. One CRA puts a target on you once, they will badger you more often than someone who doesn't have a target on them. I haven't heard so many simultaneous anecdotes of the CRA having enough reason and evidence to investigate past the 3 year reassessment limitation than via the use of CERB audits.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 06:26 AM   #13962
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

LAst month CRA took 80K out of my company's business account and refused to say what it was for. They said they say after March 25, which obviously means they needed to come up with a story. Now they're saying it's for HST, but that hadn't even been filed yet when they took the money.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:13 AM   #13963
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
What group of ####s decided children’s toys should be so damn loud. Yeah vtech I’d love for all your stupid ass toys my daughter gets to cause her hearing damage at 2 years old. Really, what would we do if we didn’t have this blaring obnoxious way to frequent electric yelling thing a foot away from ear canals?
Years ago, I know of aunts and uncles that would buy each others kids the loudest, most obnoxious toys as a way to sort of prank the parents. I wouldn’t suggest anyone should be doing this unless you don’t have kids - payback.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:35 AM   #13964
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do we seriously have to close the flyover for this? He isn't really near it.

https://x.com/smokintoaster89/status...579493639?s=46
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 08:41 AM   #13965
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Yup. Tax divisions are one of the only regulatory bodies out there that get to say you're guilty until proven innocent.

And people have to consider the CRA like a business. They're in the business of collecting the most money according to their rules with as little effort as possible to show a higher profit margin.

The CERB complaints mentioned earlier make me chuckle. Halfway through that program, I started believing that a portion of that program was a honey pot trap and CRA might have been using it to figure out which taxpayers to put a target on, and then start to investigate affiliated and related parties and consider putting a target on them too. One CRA puts a target on you once, they will badger you more often than someone who doesn't have a target on them. I haven't heard so many simultaneous anecdotes of the CRA having enough reason and evidence to investigate past the 3 year reassessment limitation than via the use of CERB audits.
Lol!! Almost certainly and its funny because I was thinking the same way too.

For instance, I could have applied for those loans. I thought about it. Invest the money for a few years, get a bunch forgiven and when the time was just liquidate the investment and pay it back.

But for starters that wasnt the 'Spirit' or purpose of the loan and since my business wasn't really negatively affected I felt it to be unethical.

But I also think you're absolutely right. I think CRA may have dangled some cash out there on a hook to see who might take it and then come back around on them later.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 08:44 AM   #13966
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post

what is even happening here?
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:49 AM   #13967
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I'm an expert on bridges and agree. Shouldn't have been closed.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:58 AM   #13968
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
What group of ####s decided children’s toys should be so damn loud. Yeah vtech I’d love for all your stupid ass toys my daughter gets to cause her hearing damage at 2 years old. Really, what would we do if we didn’t have this blaring obnoxious way to frequent electric yelling thing a foot away from ear canals?
Probably targeted at grandparents who can barely hear anymore. Because they are most responsible for buying plastic junk.

That said, we bought a VTech cube toy at a consignment store for $5 and it's been the favourite toy of both boys over the years. A little loud but not awful.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:58 AM   #13969
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
I'm an expert on bridges and agree. Shouldn't have been closed.
I guess one guy on Reddit had a point, the flyover is close enough people might yell at him maybe even throw things so I can understand the closure, so this started at 10:30PM why is this still ongoing? We can't have 1 person with the power to cause this much chaos.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:59 AM   #13970
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe the guy thought he was a tanker ship?
Old 03-28-2024, 09:01 AM   #13971
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Judging by that guy's twitter feed I'd guess it's because of wokeness.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 09:04 AM   #13972
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Judging by that guy's twitter feed I'd guess it's because of wokeness.
Ok lets clear this up, this was the only feed I saw with a video lol, seeing his last post before this was an Andrew Tate retweet there is no way I would promote or endorse this guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 09:05 AM   #13973
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Likely to keep away the looky-loos and to minimize the number of eyewitnesses if he jumps.

Apparently he climbed up there around 10:30 last night, so they probably closed the roads not anticipating it still going on during rush hour.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:14 AM   #13974
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I almost rode right through the police tape this morning before the bridge, I'm like 75% awake on my 5:30am commute. I didn't even realize there was someone up on the bridge.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:18 AM   #13975
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Personally, I am outraged. And I don’t use that word lightly. Because of this “mental health crisis” my commute was delayed by 10 minutes. Insane. That’s my coffee time. The police just expect me to get to work and just get right to checking my emails and posting on CP because of some guy wanting to kill himself in public?? WHEN WILL THE CHAOS END?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 09:35 AM   #13976
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would hate to see some of you drive the Alex Fraser on a morning commute.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:44 AM   #13977
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess one guy on Reddit had a point, the flyover is close enough people might yell at him maybe even throw things so I can understand the closure, so this started at 10:30PM why is this still ongoing? We can't have 1 person with the power to cause this much chaos.

This is what De-escalation and 'Wait him out' tactics look like in real life. They can take a lot of time.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:53 AM   #13978
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
This is what De-escalation and 'Wait him out' tactics look like in real life. They can take a lot of time.
Is this a successful strategy?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:01 AM   #13979
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Personally, I am outraged. And I don’t use that word lightly. Because of this “mental health crisis” my commute was delayed by 10 minutes. Insane. That’s my coffee time. The police just expect me to get to work and just get right to checking my emails and posting on CP because of some guy wanting to kill himself in public?? WHEN WILL THE CHAOS END?
He's probably just promoting his Korean fried chicken restaurant. It's cutthroat out there.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 11:08 AM   #13980
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Is this a successful strategy?

Depends entirely on the person on the other side of it. Generally speaking, and from my anecdotal experience, yes. Given enough time, the person will sober up or the high will end or the emotions will fade or they will 'feel heard enough' and the involved person can start thinking even just a bit more clearly again and be reasoned with.

But, as the Pineridge standoff last week shows, it's not always successful, no.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote