Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #101
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

you could try muffling the sound of the breathing ... perhaps with a pillow?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #102
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny, but I think I'll keep her around.

So I put it in a box with bubble wrap(couldn't find foam) on the floor and it was a million times better. Maybe being exhausted helped, too. But I couldn't hear the thing at all. She had a few issues with it falling off in the night. Unfortunately she has the smallest size strap available, and it still seams to large. I might suggest duct tape.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #103
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

My dad has sleep apnea and hated the machine, so talked to a dentist who is knowledgeable about it and got a special mouth guard. Works great for him (and he prefers it far more than the crazy machine).
Also, I have a friend who runs a company here in TO that has another solution called "Provent".
https://www.proventtherapy.com/
It is these weird stickers you put over your nostrils. Again, less intrusive than the machine.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:04 AM   #104
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, she has a pack of the provent to try. I have an O2 monitor so I'd like to run that at night and see if she has any drops. The problem with them is they aren't insurance covered, and big surprise, the couple sleep clinic doctors she talked to don't recommend them(no kickback!). The dental thing might be an option, but it may cause other issues for her. Would suck to spend all that money and have it not work.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #105
harmony
Farm Team Player

Exp:

it's nasty. mine was mostly stress related, and I got better after going on a relaxing vacation. it may be hereditary as well. my father has it bad. he's managed to avoid using cpap by sleeping in a recliner, partially reclined.
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #106
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
She has the nose one right now, only one night. She doesn't, as near as I can tell, have sleep apnea though. She had one issue all night on the study and I've never heard her have breathing problems. The bigger issue is her O2 sat drops and I don't think a sleep clinic is really the right place to deal with that issue.
If she doesn't stop breathing, why does she have a CPAP? A CPAP is for more severe sleep apnea (more than some number of events an hour) so it seems strange that she would be given one if the tests didn't show that it was happening.

As for you getting used to the sound, it will happen. If it doesn't, get some custom ear plugs.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #107
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why did they recommend one? Do you want my cynical answer? Because I have that.

I wasn't at the appointment, but I get the feeling I should have been.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #108
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it the typical 30-day trial Philips Respironics unit (brick like in appearance and looks like an old Intellivision add-on)? Those are loud so I wouldn't worry too much about that as the ResMed are considerably quieter so if you have to purchase a new one do some research on models.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #109
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
If she doesn't stop breathing, why does she have a CPAP? A CPAP is for more severe sleep apnea (more than some number of events an hour) so it seems strange that she would be given one if the tests didn't show that it was happening.

As for you getting used to the sound, it will happen. If it doesn't, get some custom ear plugs.
The major health issue is low O2 levels as mine were dropping to 82% so if her levels are low it's definitely a breathing problem in her sleep.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #110
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony View Post
it's nasty. mine was mostly stress related, and I got better after going on a relaxing vacation. it may be hereditary as well. my father has it bad. he's managed to avoid using cpap by sleeping in a recliner, partially reclined.
Haha, as though sleeping in a chair is better than a big comfy bed? 'Managing' to avoid a CPAP machine is a weird way to word it. They dramatically improve quality of sleep, quality of life and longevity. People who use them get completely used to them if not within weeks then within months. Avoiding one if you need it is an absolutely terrible idea; not an accomplishment somebody skillfully achieved.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #111
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The major health issue is low O2 levels as mine were dropping to 82% so if her levels are low it's definitely a breathing problem in her sleep.
Yep. I have a CPAP and while my counts of not breathing make it borderline for CPAP treatment. But when combined with my O2 numbers it made CPAP the best treatment.

When it comes to the machine, you will get used to the noise. If you can get one with the humidifier/water tray as that will decrease the sound. Though it's not as loud as the furnace or AC.

From what I understand there are three different types of sleep apnea (Obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea). Obstructive is where the tissue collapses and prevents air from getting in and associated with snoring issues etc so I imagine mouth guards and what not can help in this regard. CPAP can as well as the forced air keeps the airways open.

Central is quite plainly your brain trying to kill you by forgetting to tell you to take a breath. CPAP is very effective for this as it tracks your breathing and if you miss a breath or two it forces air into your lungs and triggers your breath.

The third is a mixture of the two brilliantly called Mixed Sleep Apnea <---this is what I have. Though I've lost near 60 pounds since my test was done that I need to do another one. Doctor isn't a hurry to get it done though as the best case scenario is likely that I no longer have obstructive sleep apnea but my other counts will still be high enough for a CPAP machine to be beneficial (but may not be high enough for the insurance company to believe it's beneficial enough so we just aren't doing it). The kicker is use of a CPAP machine can also create central sleep apnea....or cure it altogether!

This is from memory....might be wrong.

Last edited by ernie; 07-13-2016 at 12:57 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #112
harmony
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Haha, as though sleeping in a chair is better than a big comfy bed? 'Managing' to avoid a CPAP machine is a weird way to word it. They dramatically improve quality of sleep, quality of life and longevity. People who use them get completely used to them if not within weeks then within months. Avoiding one if you need it is an absolutely terrible idea; not an accomplishment somebody skillfully achieved.
Just stfu with your self absorbed ignorance. Cpap was horribly invasive and uncomfortable for him. It doesn't work for everyone.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2016, 01:05 PM   #113
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I've had one for almost two years now, and while I admit it has increased my quality of life, I ####ing hate everything else about it. The only reason I continue to use it is because if I don't, I wake up with panic attacks when my brain stops telling me to breathe and I spring up from bed gasping for air and it scares the #### out of my wife.

I have not, nor will I ever get used to it. It's a prison sentence to me. Sometimes I feel like chucking out the window, regardless of the adverse health consequences to myself.

So I don't really believe what it is you are selling.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #114
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

any of you guys following the development of airing?

www.fundairing.com
Dan02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #115
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's unusual but I got used to mine first time I used it. I don't like having to use a machine but my wife likes It because I don't snore and it doesn't bother my sleep one bit. I have a friend who is frequently tired and probably has sleep apnea and now says he MAY follow my advice and get tested. It is a pain for travel. I had 32 breathing episodes an hour. I may. Get a new machine that's smaller and quieter, although mine is not noisy.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #116
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Just stfu with your self absorbed ignorance. Cpap was horribly invasive and uncomfortable for him. It doesn't work for everyone.

lol chill, bro.

What masks did he try? I had the nose one at first and didn't like it. Now I rock the full mask and like it a lot more. Have a heated hose and my own personal humidifier for a perfectly comfy sleep.

Does sleeping in a chair even do anything positive to help apnea? I've never heard of this as a treatment.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #117
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I've had one for almost two years now, and while I admit it has increased my quality of life, I ####ing hate everything else about it. The only reason I continue to use it is because if I don't, I wake up with panic attacks when my brain stops telling me to breathe and I spring up from bed gasping for air and it scares the #### out of my wife.

I have not, nor will I ever get used to it. It's a prison sentence to me. Sometimes I feel like chucking out the window, regardless of the adverse health consequences to myself.

So I don't really believe what it is you are selling.
You don't believe what I'm selling, yet the machine has improved your quality of life and even though nobody is forcing you to wear it, you choose to wear it because the benefits outweigh the negatives? I'm pretty sure you are, in fact, buying what I'm selling.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #118
harmony
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol chill, bro.

What masks did he try? I had the nose one at first and didn't like it. Now I rock the full mask and like it a lot more. Have a heated hose and my own personal humidifier for a perfectly comfy sleep.

Does sleeping in a chair even do anything positive to help apnea? I've never heard of this as a treatment.
Sorry. I'm a bit edgy due to not sleeping well. anyway, I'm not sure which ones he's tried. But for whatever reason sleeping half reclined mitigates his apnea. He prefers it to cpap.

The Following User Says Thank You to harmony For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #119
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
lol chill, bro.

Quote:
Sorry. I'm a bit edgy due to not sleeping well. anyway, I'm not sure which ones he's tried. But for whatever reason sleeping half reclined mitigates his apnea. He prefers it to cpap.

A lot of obstructive sleep apnea is caused by weak muscles around the airway which cause it to collapse a bit under gravity, making the airway smaller and obstructing the airway. Sleeping in a more upright position would reduce/eliminate some of this from occurring.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #120
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If it bothers Fuzz... Then I guess his wife should just not use it and suffer the consequences down the road. All for Fuzz's good nights sleep.