Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #161
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Even with game mode it will still lag a bit. I heard Mike Tyson Punchout is unbeatable on the mini because of the lag, but I could be wrong.
When I get to Mr. Dream, I plan on utilizing save states after each successful punch dodge. Gotta level the playing field somehow.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #162
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got my second controller. Clearly my wife has been playing Dr. Mario too much, what a blood bath.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #163
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
When I get to Mr. Dream, I plan on utilizing save states after each successful punch dodge. Gotta level the playing field somehow.
That's not really feasible with the NES Classic, you have to reach over and press reset for it to save. It's a pain in the ass to do that and reload.

There's youtube videos showing it's really not possible to sync up. They had a guy who beats Punch Out once every year try to do it on a Classic Mini and failed.

I have the some problem running roms on a PS3 with the wireless controller. It's a combination of the emulation, the HDMI layer having lag because of extra processing, and controller input lag.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #164
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
That's not really feasible with the NES Classic, you have to reach over and press reset for it to save. It's a pain in the ass to do that and reload.

There's youtube videos showing it's really not possible to sync up. They had a guy who beats Punch Out once every year try to do it on a Classic Mini and failed.

I have the some problem running roms on a PS3 with the wireless controller. It's a combination of the emulation, the HDMI layer having lag because of extra processing, and controller input lag.
It may need to be a team effort. You could dodge and hit the button, but dodge, punch, then save would be too much.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #165
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
If mr dream has the same style of attack as Mike Tyson(only ever played the original) then he throws uppercuts every 6 seconds for the first minute and a half, if you survive that it's smooth(we) sailing afterwards.

I could have probably put this in the early childhood memory thread.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:00 AM   #166
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bought in on one of these:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...onsole-electro
[/IMG]

Much excite
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #167
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post

[/IMG]

Much excite
I'm gonna get one of these myself

http://www.gpdxd.com/product/gpd-xd-gamepad-black-16g/

Bit pricier, but with more powerful hardware and running full Android which is nice
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #168
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I did this as well, months ago. While its nice in theory, it really is overall frustrating to use. I had hoped for a better overall experience but if you do your research, there is a ton of issues with emulating, with the biggest one being latency between the controller inputs and the game. Its obvious enough that it is difficult to play games, its not instantaneous (albeit milliseconds), and there has been no way that the emulator programmers have been able to eliminate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Hmm I am not having real latency issues at all on mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Probably your TV then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Nope, multiple TV's, obviously more prevalent in some games than others, and widely reported, regardless of emulation engine used. Some are better than others, but none are perfect. You can retrain your muscle memory to include the slight delay, but its deep rooted from the original system that your brain expects a certain result when pressing buttons

So I finally found the motivation to try it out on my M series Vizio, which has some of the lowest latency on the market, and I'm happy to say that the problem was definitely the rest of the TV's (an LG LCD with game mode, a Toshiba LCD with no game mode, and a Samsung Plasma with a game mode). I can actually get past levels with no difficulties. Now its sweet playing Mario on a 65" screen
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:11 AM   #169
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Someone's figured out how to hack the console and add games to it.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/0...via-usb-cable/

Probably won't be long until there's a nice clean way to do it.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:52 PM   #170
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post

[/IMG]

Much excite
That looks pretty cool. I'm not a big fan of Kickstarter though. too many scammers, missed deadlines, mis-represented items... Kickstarter sucks when it comes to holding creatures responsible too. I won't ever back anything on there again.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #171
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Has anyone tried the PSP for emulation?
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #172
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
NES/SNES/N64 emulators run great on it. What model of PSP do you have?
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #173
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought my kid an android based game system a few years back than runs everything

nes, snes, genesis, n64, psx, ect.

it works great and also has hdmi out...it was like $75 on ali express

its kinda funny that emulating is all the rage again and people are forking over big money for some of these systems
Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #174
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Mixed results on a PSP Go. No idea if I just chose the wrong software to do it or not, but some SNES and all N64 games refused to work nicely, and the GBA emulator would get out sync for the audio after a while and I'd have to close and reopen the emulator.

I ended up giving up on the PSP and switched to buying flash carts for actual consoles, which I've found to be much more reliable.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #175
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody have any luck finding one of these lately?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #176
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Anybody have any luck finding one of these lately?
Walmart has been getting them in a few at a time. That's about all I have heard
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #177
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Not sure whats the appeal for this when the price tag is $80 and Nintendo playing these supply shortage games with consumers. Emulators and Roms are available for free too and you can easily get an HDMI cord that runs to your TV
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #178
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Not sure whats the appeal for this when the price tag is $80 and Nintendo playing these supply shortage games with consumers. Emulators and Roms are available for free too and you can easily get an HDMI cord that runs to your TV
Because some people, a lot of people have no idea nor care what any of that stuff is.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #179
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Finally found a reasonable seller for one of these on Kijiji (which I despise) for 120. Given what a nightmare getting one has been, I pulled the trigger. I don't care if they overfill the shelves on Monday, the amount of fun I've had with it over the weekend was worth it.

I'm actually excited to get a second one when they become more available to take the mod risk and add more games.

When we had people over for the Flames game, all my 30+ aged friends were wanting to take turns. Cool little toy and something I'm excited to keep to show my kid what games were like in my day
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #180
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Finally found a reasonable seller for one of these on Kijiji (which I despise) for 120. Given what a nightmare getting one has been, I pulled the trigger. I don't care if they overfill the shelves on Monday, the amount of fun I've had with it over the weekend was worth it.

I'm actually excited to get a second one when they become more available to take the mod risk and add more games.

When we had people over for the Flames game, all my 30+ aged friends were wanting to take turns. Cool little toy and something I'm excited to keep to show my kid what games were like in my day
Last weekend a buddy and I got tanked playing Streets of Rage on Genesis after setting up my Raspberry Pi retro machine. This weekend a different buddy was over and we ended up playing Rock n' Roll Racing till 2 am. I haven't touched a modern game all week, it's awesome
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Jbo