Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #1001
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

"I cancelled the meeting with Mexico first. I was FIRST!!!"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #1002
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Stars?

Wouldn't they just paint exagerated handlebar mustaches and sombreros?
Taco Decals
Old 01-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #1003
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
"I cancelled the meeting with Mexico first. I was FIRST!!!"

If he hasn't said that yet I'd put good money he does. That interview he did with ABC did a great job of highlighting how unhinged from reality he really is.
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #1004
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

To add to the topic of getting Mexico to "pay for the wall".

This is politics. Trump doesn't even need to literally get Mexico to pay for the wall. He needs something to show that he can claim to be them paying for the wall. These are different things. Seize some funds and say "they're now paying for the wall". Put up a tax that targets Mexico/Mexicans and say that it's paying for the wall. Strike a deal with Mexicanb government where they pay some part of the wall, and say they're paying for the wall now.

It's posturing anyway. The numbers don't need to add up.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #1005
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Stars?

Wouldn't they just paint exagerated handlebar mustaches and sombreros?
Yeah a Sombrero would be great.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #1006
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The entire senior leadership team for the State Department resigned:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...just-resigned/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #1007
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
On top of all the incredible sh** Trump has already done, this tops my personal list at least in the category of "literally Nazi moves".

This is some seriously disturbing hate mongering.

https://qz.com/894973/donald-trumps-...by-immigrants/
He sure is walking a FINE line...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...al_rights.html

From what I can tell, if you are in the United States and are not a citizen, and you "look funny", you better get ready to leave. However, that still doesn't mean your "rights" should be breached.

On the other hand, any non-citizen doesn't have any rights to be in that country if that country says so.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pot-...iver-1.3752278
Old 01-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #1008
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes that's some disgusting stuff. I really hope someone publishes a weekly list of crimes committed by citizens in the same area as a response.

And yet no one even cares. Sad.

And I'm not sure people are going to care before it's too late. I fear there are going to be some serious destruction of civil rights and liberties under this administration that will take decades to walk back.

That's what was at stake in the election and so many people turned a blind eye to it because they somehow believe that they'll truly be able to compete with emerging countries for factory cost.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #1009
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 01-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #1010
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
He has a strategy of doing things to dominate the media cycle. It's all about him. It's taking the front few pages of news away from detailed analysis of his plan, transition team, or whatever is a risk for critique at a given moment. And he's signing orders on items that he campaigned on, building a narrative he'll point to throughout his presidency.

So go ahead and call it dumb luck, dismiss all his voters as uneducated hicks, and 36 months from now you'll still be waiting for it to fall apart.
Sure, his strategy of dominating the media cycle is brilliant and he became president after all so it's not wise to underestimate him. I think his only plan though is self-aggrandizement and others will now take full advantage of this.

The GOP was basically backed into a corner at the convention. They had to accept him and try to negotiate what they could. I think they got Pence and Preibus, acceptance of their social agenda, and an agreement to not veto certain key bills. He got to run for president. They couldn't risk rejecting him and alienating the base he built up and they also knew that Cruz or whoever else didn't stand a chance in the general. Trump was like a hail mary that worked.

But now the GOP establishment holds all the power. They have the hammer of impeachment if he gets too far out of control. They just have to thread the needle of keeping him and his base happy and themselves looking reasonable and productive to the general public. Congress views itself as equal to or even more powerful than the president and I think Ryan and McConnell, etc are way too smart to let Trump just walk over them.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #1011
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Yes that's some disgusting stuff. I really hope someone publishes a weekly list of crimes committed by citizens in the same area as a response.

And yet no one even cares. Sad.

And I'm not sure people are going to care before it's too late. I fear there are going to be some serious destruction of civil rights and liberties under this administration that will take decades to walk back.

That's what was at stake in the election and so many people turned a blind eye to it because they somehow believe that they'll truly be able to compete with emerging countries for factory cost.
What about the fact that non-citizens do not have any right to be in the country if that country deems so?

Publishing names of people who are in the country illegally and have committed crimes is not really new, as I'm certain you can find criminals names published or released elsewhere too. This just "institutionalizes" the legwork to gather up those names and cross-check immigration/citizenship databases.

(1) Is it a crime to ask someone if they are a citizen of the USA?

This list is a huge waste of time and money, since the immigration departments probably do this already (officially or not).

(2) What civil right and liberties are being destroyed by this list?
Old 01-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #1012
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post

Maybe not a crime per se, but I don't seem to think you can randomly stop people and ask them.

At least this is my take from hours of watching Youtube Videos.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #1013
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
What about the fact that non-citizens do not have any right to be in the country if that country deems so?

Publishing names of people who are in the country illegally and have committed crimes is not really new, as I'm certain you can find criminals names published or released elsewhere too. This just "institutionalizes" the legwork to gather up those names and cross-check immigration/citizenship databases.

This list is a huge waste of time and money, since the immigration departments probably do this already (officially or not).

(2) What civil right and liberties are being destroyed by this list?
You're assuming it's only targeting illegals. From the article:

The order doesn’t say whether the list would single out only undocumented immigrants, or all immigrants.

Immigrant could mean US citizens, US residents, those on work visas, etc. all legally allowed in the country. If there are dangerous individuals who are illegals then by all means send them home, but as you say the Dept of Immigration already has that authority. The question is why should only immigrants be singled out on a gov't website? It's implying that immigrants commit more crime (patently untrue) and it's public persecution plain and simple.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #1014
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Maybe not a crime per se, but I don't seem to think you can randomly stop people and ask them.

Some cities have bylaws that prevent officers and municipal employees from asking people if they are citizens ("sanctuary cities").
Old 01-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #1015
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

That's what I am curious about with my two questions.

I know it is obviously illegal to discriminate against people based on a lot of things, but I think asking someone's citizenship is not one of those things.

And my second question is because I am not familiar with the US Constitution and Bill of Rights enough to know whether or not publishing a convicted criminal's name along with their immigration status, is against anything in there.

My point is that although President Trump is doing things a lot of people's morals and ethics would NOT agree with, I am not sure he's doing anything illegal. He is a sneaky man, that is for sure.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #1016
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by station View Post
But now the GOP establishment holds all the power. They have the hammer of impeachment if he gets too far out of control. They just have to thread the needle of keeping him and his base happy and themselves looking reasonable and productive to the general public. Congress views itself as equal to or even more powerful than the president and I think Ryan and McConnell, etc are way too smart to let Trump just walk over them.
More than anything the GOP now has a noise machine that allows them to do a lot of the things that normally would attract attention in rather quiet confines.

Eg:
Trump gets coverage for complaining about crowds, building a wall
GOP quietly sets public land at no value, enabling them to open up it up for drilling, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #1017
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by station View Post
You're assuming it's targeting illegals. From the article:

The order doesn’t say whether the list would single out only undocumented immigrants, or all immigrants.

Immigrant could mean US citizens, US residents, those on work visas, etc. all legally allowed in the country. If there are dangerous individuals who are illegals then by all means send them home, but as you say the Dept of Immigration already has that authority. The questions is why should only immigrants be singled out on a gov't website? It's implying that immigrants commit more crime (patently untrue) and it's public persecution plain and simple.
And lets be honest here. A white, Christian Canadian who is in the US illegally and commits a crime won't be on the list. Only those evil brown people who pray to the wrong flavour of god and the ones that speak Spanish.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #1018
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I'm trying to explain to myself how this current trajectory of US politics won't result in civil war, but I cannot come up with any good reasons.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #1019
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The entire senior leadership team for the State Department resigned:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...just-resigned/
Well...thats ominous.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #1020
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think it will end up in a massive civil suit against the government.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
making snl great again , soviet murica? , trade wars , trumpcare = doa , utterly insane pressers