Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
aaron5425
Draft Pick

Default 2017 Playoff Ticket Information

I just spoke to my ticket rep and thought I would share:

Playoff first right of refusal email will not be linked to STH renewal this year. They are tweaking the renewal process and want more time to sort that side of things out. This means you are not required to commit to renewing for the 2017-18 season in order to get your playoff tickets. The first right of refusal email will be sent out sometime between tomorrow and Monday. I wasn't able to get a sense of what prices will be as they haven't been finalized yet.
aaron5425 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to aaron5425 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That is actually good news for me.

Have been struggling to make games this year, and am uncertain about my renewal unless I can get someone to split with me (in PL17 Row 2, PM if you're interested in splitting!). But would love to go out with a bang and be able to attend some playoff games!
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure I've had to commit to the next season in order to get playoff tickets. There would be several options when the renewal came out. You could get both the playoffs and the next season, either of them, or none of them.

Whichever way it is, I'm excited to watch some playoff hockey this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
aaron5425
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I'm not sure I've had to commit to the next season in order to get playoff tickets. There would be several options when the renewal came out. You could get both the playoffs and the next season, either of them, or none of them.

Whichever way it is, I'm excited to watch some playoff hockey this year.
Ok, I wasn't entirely sure how it worked in the past. I guess the only difference this year is that renewal and playoff emails will go out a few weeks apart. Thanks for clarifying Squiggs.
aaron5425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #5
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I'm not sure I've had to commit to the next season in order to get playoff tickets.
You are right, you didn't have to commit to get playoff tickets. However you had to decide one way or another. So your choices were:
- Playoffs and renewal
- Playoffs and no renewal
- Outright cancel.

Now it sounds like the two invoices will come out separately.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seems odd they would make that switch now. It would seem the playoffs would be the thing that gets everyone excited and would make people renew that are sitting on the fence (which I'm assuming there is a quite a few given the economy). Giving people and option to go to playoffs and than decide later to renew or not seems like a bad business move. People can be less impulsive.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
bcneil
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sounds more like the Flames want to take a wait and see how the team ends up this year......before deciding the price increase for next year.
bcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcneil For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe the renewals were separate two years ago too.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #9
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcneil View Post
Sounds more like the Flames want to take a wait and see how the team ends up this year......before deciding the price increase for next year.
That makes sense. Call me crazy, but i have to wonder if they're going to do a serious tweak of prices this year given the following observations

1) Press Level looks empty on a lot of nights. An empty press level is a huge reason the dome is quiet IMO. Might need to lower cost of seats here...

2) Green tickets are still an absolute steal, while lots of whites going unsold. unsold Whites is another reason the dome is so quiet. Whites might need a reduction or at least stay flat.

3) Long wait-list for club seats and high quality reds/golds/silvers suggests room to increase prices here.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
That makes sense. Call me crazy, but i have to wonder if they're going to do a serious tweak of prices this year given the following observations

1) Press Level looks empty on a lot of nights. An empty press level is a huge reason the dome is quiet IMO. Might need to lower cost of seats here...

2) Green tickets are still an absolute steal, while lots of whites going unsold. unsold Whites is another reason the dome is so quiet. Whites might need a reduction or at least stay flat.

3) Long wait-list for club seats and high quality reds/golds/silvers suggests room to increase prices here.
I have received two surveys both from my ticket rep and the Flames themselves over the past 2 week, I sense the same thing that they're trying to figure out what to do with ticket prices for next year. I think in a normal economy they would raise them, but not so sure with the way things are.
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the info.Did they mention anything about STH getting the same seats for playoffs? Can you purchase additional tickets?
Cantrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #12
taffeyb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It's too easy to buy tickets nowadays at less than season ticket holder cost.

I have season tickets and I am seriously debating whether or not I should keep them. We only go to 1/3 of the games due to school and work commitments. It is getting very hard to re-coup my cost. That being said, a good rest of year and a playoff run may change it. I fret that the economic realities is the main factor driving the prices down. The Flames are having a good year, but there is not the same degree of demand. My litmus test is whether I can basically break even on my unused tickets. It's definitely touch and go. The other reason I like have tickets is that I get a free option for the games that we can attend and, of course, playoff tickets. I guess that the other factor is the new arena -- dibs on seats -- however, at this rate, I'll be retired away from Calgary by the time it is built.
taffeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #13
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffeyb View Post
It's too easy to buy tickets nowadays at less than season ticket holder cost.

I have season tickets and I am seriously debating whether or not I should keep them. We only go to 1/3 of the games due to school and work commitments. It is getting very hard to re-coup my cost. That being said, a good rest of year and a playoff run may change it. I fret that the economic realities is the main factor driving the prices down. The Flames are having a good year, but there is not the same degree of demand. My litmus test is whether I can basically break even on my unused tickets. It's definitely touch and go. The other reason I like have tickets is that I get a free option for the games that we can attend and, of course, playoff tickets. I guess that the other factor is the new arena -- dibs on seats -- however, at this rate, I'll be retired away from Calgary by the time it is built.

By far the biggest factor in the resale market is the quality of the team. Given the terrible start, many casual fans lost interest immediately and are only coming back now that they hear the team is making the playoffs.

So if the Flames are good for the next 5 years, and signs are pointing to them being good, I think there will be a strong market IMO.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #14
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post

I would be surprised if there is room for price increases in club and golds.

Tickets are available for the game tomorrow, March 19 (Kings) in club and gold that are have slashed prices. Face value before the start of the season for golds were $334.
Ticketmaster prices are $250 for club or gold. Silver and Red1 are unchanged from face values.

This is not the first time this season I have seen this.
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homestand For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #15
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames would be out to lunch if they think raising ticket prices next season would be a good idea. People often can't sell tickets for season ticket price.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #16
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
The Flames would be out to lunch if they think raising ticket prices next season would be a good idea. People often can't sell tickets for season ticket price.
The resale market isnt really their concern. Will people renew at an increase is the question. They didn't increase prices last year. A nominal 1 or 2% is my expectation tbh.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #17
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the team makes the playoffs, it's a good bet prices will go up next year.

And yeah, the resale market is not their problem. What matters to them is the primary demand, which, if they make the playoffs, will likely remain buoyant.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #18
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
The resale market isnt really their concern. Will people renew at an increase is the question. They didn't increase prices last year. A nominal 1 or 2% is my expectation tbh.
The resale market is part of the bigger picture. Important enough that some of the inventory is withheld from the STH base and offered on StubHub and Ticketmaster in various forms.
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #19
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If the team makes the playoffs, it's a good bet prices will go up next year.

And yeah, the resale market is not their problem. What matters to them is the primary demand, which, if they make the playoffs, will likely remain buoyant.
The resale market is somewhat their problem, because it's a problem to the people paying for the most expensive seats. My cost for 2 season tickets is about $21,000 a year. I want to attend about 25 to 30 preseason/regular season games, and if I can't sell the remainder for close to my cost then I'm not going to keep buying them. This season I was only able to sell a couple sets of tickets at a very modest profit. I sold some for 10% below cost and I had to sell some at 50% below cost and gave away a couple games as I had no buyer at all for them.

The two seats to the left of mine didn't sell as season tickets and the ones to the right of my neighbor also didn't sell. They sit empty almost every game as the Flames can't sell them on the ticket exchange for most games, even 'premier' ones. I'd say they've had someone in them for 8 games or less this season. They were even empty for the Leafs game this year.

My neighbor has had his seats in this location for 4 seasons and we've had ours for 6, but neither of us are renewing next season as it's cheaper for us to buy the same or similar tickets on stubhub for the games we want and not have to worry about selling the tickets we can't use.

The demand now isn't bouyant, it's more habitual. And even us habitual buyers wise up eventually when we get stuck with tickets we can't sell, even at a loss. A playoff run will help, but not as much as a major economic recovery.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #20
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
If people can't sell their unused tickets then less people will be renewing next season. A lot of season ticket holders left last off-season. I would expect a bunch more this off-season unless the Flames make a long playoff run (At least the conference final). Any increase of ticket prices would result in more empty seats next season.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote