Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Green Light Cameras

I just read that an intersection in the NW caught 28,000 drivers last year speeding on green. Wow! Nice revenue driver for the city. Has anyone ever successfully fought one of these tickets? I've heard you can plead your case if the conditions are bad such as icy roads making it less safe to try to stop but not sure if that's true or not.

Personally I think if you are caught speeding 20k or over thru an intersection there should definitely be a fine to pay
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is this the one by COP? They have a red light and green light camera there. I always see it go off.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is this just permanent photo radar essentially? How do people not know to slow down when they see the sign with a camera on it on the side of the road?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I read that it's the one at the corner of 16th ave and 10th st, kinda near SAIT and Earls or whatever. That camera's been there for years now...but why the need to slow down for them unless you were driving way over the posted limit to begin with?
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
So is this just permanent photo radar essentially? How do people not know to slow down when they see the sign with a camera on it on the side of the road?
For me it was a road I was knew pretty well, but don't travel on it very often. I live in the deep SE but happened to be in the NW; so I was travelling on 16th ave. I got nabbed by the camera on 10th street NW. I wasn't really looking at road signs as I knew where I was going.

As for successfully fighting a ticket; I have never tried with the red light/ speed on green cameras. I did attempt to fight a multinova ticket back in the 90s, but I was sick on my court date. My defense there was that I had sped up to do an emergency lane change, and the camera had actually caught the guy who had cut me offand showed my car still in mid body roll. I guess it was obvious enough to the court; they dismissed the charge without me even showing up.

Now I believe they won't even give a ticket if there is another vehicle in the picture.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
How do people not know to slow down when they see the sign with a camera on it on the side of the road?
They're too busy texting.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't hurt that the speed limit drops from 60 to 50 right before that intersection. Oh and it's a downhill through the lights. Cameras like that which are just cash grabs annoy me, obviously there is a problem where the signage isn't adequate to get the attention of a lot of divers but rather then try to fix that they would rather just print tickets, and for the record I've never been caught through there.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No surprise. Used to drive up there every saturday for hockey late at night and without exaggeration, there wasn't a single night I never saw it flash.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The goal in these high ticket areas should be to reduce accidents and number of tickets issued each year. I wonder if the traffic engineers at the city get access to this info to improve it.

As for beating the tickets apparently if you have a license plate holder that obscures the Alberta on the license plates because they cant determine if its an alberta plate or not.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Doesn't hurt that the speed limit drops from 60 to 50 right before that intersection. Oh and it's a downhill through the lights. Cameras like that which are just cash grabs annoy me, obviously there is a problem where the signage isn't adequate to get the attention of a lot of divers but rather then try to fix that they would rather just print tickets, and for the record I've never been caught through there.
The sign couldn't be more clear.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The goal in these high ticket areas should be to reduce accidents and number of tickets issued each year. I wonder if the traffic engineers at the city get access to this info to improve it.

As for beating the tickets apparently if you have a license plate holder that obscures the Alberta on the license plates because they cant determine if its an alberta plate or not.
Firstly, I don't think obstructing your plate is really the answer considering that alone is a ticket.

And, in regards to reducing accidents, they do...

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Traf...t-cameras.aspx

Quote:
From the year before any cameras were installed (2000) compared to 2011:
  • total collisions at ISC locations have decreased by 17 per cent;
  • fatal collisions at ISC locations have decreased by 100 per cent;
  • injury collisions at ISC locations have decreased by 47 per cent; and,
  • property damage collisions at ISC locations have decreased by 11 per cent.

How do you determine the locations?
Locations are selected based history and severity of collisions, violation rates, and traffic safety concerns.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've only gotten a speed on green once, on 14th st in front of heritage park. Doing 18 over at 1 in the morning. I knew it was there but thought it was facing the other way for some reason.

I agree with the idea behind these cameras but the 2 I drive through most are almost a hazard. Most people know where they are, and just slam on their breaks before the intersection, coast through, and speed up again.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #13
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the speed on green being added originally, but I do see where it makes it safe. Where I got my ticket; as mentioned the speed limit reduces and it's down hill. So if you are exceeding the speed limit going downhill; that makes it even that much harder to stop if you have to. (Setting aside that I think 16th ave should be at least 60 the whole way.)

Regarding 14th at Heritage, when it was red light only I saw more near misses as somebody doing 90 slammed on their brakes to avoid the red light ticket. Now those people slow to 70. Same with WB Anderson at Acadia; everybody coming off Deerfoot used to still be doing 100. Now they slow to 80.

Sure, you may see the odd person slam on their brakes last minute- but the numbers jar_e gave seem to indicate it's safer. It may still be a cash cow; but it only impacts people who are breaking the law, and makes the roads safer. I'll pay my $120 "stupid tax" and be on my way.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #14
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Running a province costs money. Wouldn't you rather the money comes from handing out fines for people breaking the law, instead of having your property, fuel and/or income taxes raised?

Is there proper signage at this intersection regarding speed limits, cameras, etc. that are well displayed and clearly visible? If so, then it's your own fault for getting caught. You can choose almost any speed you want to drive at. If you get caught for speeding, it's not a cash grab, it's your punishment. The same goes for texting while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #15
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I drive through the one on Beddington Trail and Country Hills Blvd everyday for the past 4 years. I've realized early that the thing has a 10km grace limit. It's a 60 km/h zone, so I always make sure I don't go over 68 km/h. *Knock on wood* so far so good.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Firstly, I don't think obstructing your plate is really the answer considering that alone is a ticket.

And, in regards to reducing accidents, they do...

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Traf...t-cameras.aspx
I know they appear to reduce accidents but does the number of tickets issued each year at each location go down? You need to take the data and use it to make the intersections more inherantly safe rather than using enforcement to make them safe. Also you need a better breakdown of the data including standard deviations of accident numbers to ensure the success of the radar isnt just random chance.

For example the 100% reduction in fatalities obviously isnt statistically significant and likely due to randomness.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #17
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh and it's a downhill through the lights. Cameras like that which are just cash grabs annoy me...
As a SAIT student fed up of people going 80 kph through there and almost killing us, I kind of disagree. If you get a ticket at any intersection where it is CLEARLY signed for all directions, even those that don't have a camera facing that way, you deserve it.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #18
GaiJin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Running a province costs money. Wouldn't you rather the money comes from handing out fines for people breaking the law, instead of having your property, fuel and/or income taxes raised?

Is there proper signage at this intersection regarding speed limits, cameras, etc. that are well displayed and clearly visible? If so, then it's your own fault for getting caught. You can choose almost any speed you want to drive at. If you get caught for speeding, it's not a cash grab, it's your punishment. The same goes for texting while driving.
If it were a genuine tax, there would have to be some accountability why its collected and how its spent, not just a loose slush fund with no strings attached as that money is now.
So you have never missed a road sign in your life? C'mon. Some of these setups are engineered to make money, 16th ave and 68 st is a prime example, 90-70-90 for an intersection that used to be 80 km/hr straight through. Mcleod by stampede is another, right at the bottom of a hill with erratic light timing because of the C-train arms.
GaiJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #19
GaiJin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
As a SAIT student fed up of people going 80 kph through there and almost killing us, I kind of disagree. If you get a ticket at any intersection where it is CLEARLY signed for all directions, even those that don't have a camera facing that way, you deserve it.
Explain this, are you Jaywalking? Why are you walking out in front of cars , let alone cars doing 80?
GaiJin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GaiJin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #20
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiJin View Post
Explain this, are you Jaywalking? Why are you walking out in front of cars , let alone cars doing 80?
See the snow outside? That makes the road a bit slippery at times. Not sure if you've heard of it, but there's this thing where cars sometimes go off the road and hit stuff. As it turns out, cars are more likely to do this if they're travelling faster.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post: