Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #421
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

1) Flames win without their young stars
2) Flames score a lot of goals that provide ticket holders with entertainment
3) Your goal scorers were Ferland, Granlund, and Hamilton - who are also young promising players that fans want to see
4) Hartley sends a serious message to everyone in the locker room
5) The players have to answer to their dads for the next week.

You couldn't have asked for a better outcome
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #422
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One thing that may be missed is, ultimately, this is a business. In your place of work, if you showed up late, slacked off, and didn't do what was expected of you then your manager would do something about it. In this case, rather than being told to go home for the day, these guys were asked to take some time to think about things and not play. Hopefully they use this as an opportunity to learn and become better from it.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #423
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many Oiler fans are wishing that:

their coach had the guts to hold players accountable; and
their GM/President/Owner/Former Players did not intervene to prevent the accountability

?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #424
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
#Flames captain Giordano on scratches — "That’s the way we’re looking at it — one mistake. They know and we know it won’t happen again.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #425
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Is there anything to suggest it's been more than one?
Wasn't there a thread a couple of months ago about them showing up late to practice or missing practice with the flu the day after pictures of them at a concert showed up on twitter?

I feel like there was another instance as well but maybe that was something else.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #426
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
"It was tough because you can't find 3 better young men ... They made a mistake, they paid for it." - Bob Hartley on the scratches

Kristen Odland @Kristen_Odland
Hartley on scratching Bouma, Gaudreau, and Monahan: "They didn't rob a bank. They broke a team rule. And that's the end of it."

Kristen Odland @Kristen_Odland
Hartley: "I know some people say, '(Those are our) top two scorers' ... but when you make a mistake, you have to be accountable."
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #427
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
This is also a weird post. Does this scenario even exist in this city?

Um, maybe.

Sport Chek zone tickets are $25.
That's like, probably, a half hour of overtime down at the ol' unionised steel mill downtown.

All things considered it's probably pretty great both parents have jobs (especially ones that allow overtime) in this economic climate.

Still, think of the children.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #428
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bob and Gio have spoken.

They broke a rule and paid the price. Back to business now.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #429
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
How so?
Not sure what the specifics are of the Monahan deal, but often players on ELCs will have benchmarks for goals, assists, points, games played, awards, etc.

If Monahan has something in his deal for say, 30 goals, and he ends up with 29 after missing a game blowout against the Leafs...
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #430
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ugh, with how everyone here has been talking about how those three have been reoccurring problems all year if it was only a one time thing this could get ugly.

Going to hear about this for years.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #431
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Ugh, with how everyone here has been talking about how those three have been reoccurring problems all year if it was only a one time thing this could get ugly.

I highly doubt it would be an issue if this was a one time thing. If the rule is clearly that you sit if you're late for practice then it doesn't matter if it's the first time or the 5th time.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #432
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right call was made at the end of the day. I'm glad everyone is handling this ordeal well and hopefully everyone moves on from it. I had completely forgotten Ovi was scratched earlier this year, and I'm sure this too will pass. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #433
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

It can't possibly be worse than that attempt at putting a sentence together.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #434
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If this was a reoccurring problem why were these guys not sat out at other periods of the season? Hartley doesn't pick his spots as he would have done this in October if it was warranted. I suggest you don't take anonymous internet rumours to heart all your life as you are going to be that weird conspiracy dude that talks like the X-Files are real.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #435
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If this was a reoccurring problem why were these guys not sat out at other periods of the season? Don't take anonymous internet rumours to heart.
When you read it twenty times its going to stick. Read back a few pages. You'd think those three were Johnny Manziel
Old 02-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #436
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When you read it twenty times its going to stick. Read back a few pages. You'd think those three were Johnny Manziel
I have read and I don't see anything substantiated. I have seen at HF pictures of Hall, RNH, Eberle etc in Edmonton nightclubs within 30 minutes after games. These guys are still young men and at the end of the day they are going to go out and have some fun. Did you ever see the pictures of the Flames partying in Cowboys in 2004? Heck you should have seen Fleury and McCarthy after Flames games in the 90's. You can't lock the players up in their rooms on their own time. This stuff happens on every team and it's not a problem as long as the players don't have substance abuse problems or late for practice.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-09-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #437
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
How many Oiler fans are wishing that:

their coach had the guts to hold players accountable; and
their GM/President/Owner/Former Players did not intervene to prevent the accountability

?
Uhhhh... none?

If anything, I would imagine they are mocking us right now. These are Oilers fans we're talking about here. They are probably saying that Monahan and Gaudreau will ask for trades now.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #438
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Theres pics of two of our best stars from the Iginla/Kipper era doing similar things to whats being talked about on here in the cowboys backroom. It happens. If it doesn't become a recurring issue then all is okay.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #439
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have read and I don't see anything substantiated. I have seen at HF pictures of Hall, RNH, Eberle etc in Edmonton nightclubs within 30 minutes after games. These guys are still young men and at the end of the day they are going to go out and have some fun. Did you ever see the pictures of the Flames partying in Cowboys in 2004? Heck you should have seen Fleury and McCarthy after Flames games in the 90's. You can't lock the players up in their rooms on their own time. This stuff happens on every team and it's not a problem as long as the players don't have substance abuse problems or late for practice.
Maybe not the best example.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 10:31 PM   #440
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Hell I don't care, I would be shocked if they weren't party animals, they have every right to do that with how they are performing.

Just how this whole thing was dealt with has given this impression that it's worse than simply being late. The Panel tonight all but said they were locker room problems. How it looks is a lot more important than how it is now a days.