Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #281
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Do any of the Shaw boxes have an HDMI in or passthrough? Ideally I'd like to be able to plug in a blu-ray player and if there's a movie playing the TV shows that, and if not then whatever channel is shown. And the appropriate audio sent out to the home theatre stuff.
I think your only option is to feed your blu-ray and any other feeds through your AV receiver best done with HDMI and use that as your switch box. Some TVs will output a DD 5:1 signal through ARC or a Toslink optical cable back to the receiver but you won't get the top end blu-ray audio.

One of the advantages of AudioReturnChannel (ARC) is that when you turn on your blu-ray your AV receiver automatically switches to that input and feeds it to the TV.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #282
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm on a grandfathered Broadband 50 package (as I recall, 50 down and 2.5 up) but as of today my service is more like 58/5.5, or pretty much Broadband 60 (and that was tested over wifi). Did they silently upgrade things? My bill hasn't changed, but I did reboot my modem a few weeks ago.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #283
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I'm on a grandfathered Broadband 50 package (as I recall, 50 down and 2.5 up) but as of today my service is more like 58/5.5, or pretty much Broadband 60 (and that was tested over wifi). Did they silently upgrade things? My bill hasn't changed, but I did reboot my modem a few weeks ago.
I pay for 25 down and regularly get 29 down, so maybe it's common for Shaw to give a little extra speed. They offered me 30 down for a higher price but I didn't know if that would actually give a higher speed so I didn't get it.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #284
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
They recently bumped up the upload speed on all of its plans, including grandfathered ones. My BB100 used to be 100/5 and I regularly test around 120/6.5 over WiFi. I'm quite happy to keep the lower price ($102 vs $123) as long as I can for essentially the same service I'd get on BB120. Even though the lower price isn't as low as it used to be.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #285
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys must be borrowing some of mine . Last time I tested (WiFi) I was getting about 10 or 15 down/ 2-3 up and am on Broadband 30. However that was about a month ago so maybe things have changed, I guess I should test again.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #286
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shaw over provisions their quality of service beyond what they sell. Telus does this as well.
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #287
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mr. Clean View Post
Shaw over provisions their quality of service beyond what they sell. Telus does this as well.
They got hammered by the CRTC for not delivering speeds advertised. They now over provision in case network congestion causes slowdowns so customer still gets advertised speeds.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #288
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which is excellent news for those of us on Teksavvy cable (read: Shaw cable for less money), as I am as of this morning.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #289
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Which is excellent news for those of us on Teksavvy cable (read: Shaw cable for less money), as I am as of this morning.

I am actually getting around speeds of 35 down on my 30 plan with Lightspeed. Some nice false advertising for once.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #290
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

WiFi $ucked again over the weekend.
If I were to upgrade my router, what would y'all recommend?
Thanks
Old 05-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #291
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am actually getting around speeds of 35 down on my 30 plan with Lightspeed. Some nice false advertising for once.
I get that on LAN as well.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #292
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
WiFi $ucked again over the weekend.
If I were to upgrade my router, what would y'all recommend?
Thanks
Netgear Nighthawk RC 1700/1900 or the Asus RT-N66U.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #293
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Netgear Nighthawk RC 1700/1900 or the Asus RT-N66U.
I have this one. It's good considering the price (Staples sells it for 120 right now). Doesn't seem like much of a step down compared to the 68U, which is $220.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #294
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

nvm
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #295
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

question:
I get spotty wifi sometimes also, can I just buy a new router and replace the Cisco one Shaw gave me? do they just Plug and play?
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #296
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slots881 View Post
question:
I get spotty wifi sometimes also, can I just buy a new router and replace the Cisco one Shaw gave me? do they just Plug and play?
I believe that's a combination modem/router? You would need to contact Shaw and ask them to put it into "bridge" mode, which then allows you to connect the router to it. After that, you can set up the router normally.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #297
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I believe that's a combination modem/router? You would need to contact Shaw and ask them to put it into "bridge" mode, which then allows you to connect the router to it. After that, you can set up the router normally.
Exactly. Here's a pro tip: contact Shaw support via twitter. They will send you a DM and then make the change for you. No sitting on hold like a chump.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #298
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who gives the best value in terms of dollars per Mbps in Calgary.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #299
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just looking at Telus Fibre rollout map and my area falls out of current plans. Ugh. Should I be sticking with Shaw. Really thinking to just go with Internet only (ie cutting the cord).
I just updated my router to a nice one and still mediocre performance, especially this weekend...
Old 05-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #300
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Just looking at Telus Fibre rollout map and my area falls out of current plans. Ugh. Should I be sticking with Shaw. Really thinking to just go with Internet only (ie cutting the cord).
I just updated my router to a nice one and still mediocre performance, especially this weekend...
Even if you out of the fibre area you could get Telus 50 using bonded pair copper, you should contact Telus. Are you getting prime time slowdowns with Shaw i.e. evenings and weekends?