Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #21
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Pfft. There's no room in my freezer with all the human heads in there. But thanks for the trick. Does it still taste good? I'm a bit picky about frozen stuff as well..? Freezer burn tastes worse than green meat.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #22
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I use it mostly for putting in fajitas and stuff, so it still tastes fine.

But I also find as a general rule sauces seen to be better frozen that other things like meat as any moisture lost can be made up by the rest of the mixture. I'm also pretty anal about frozen meat- to the point where I'll use a straw to suck out the air of a freezer bag; and will often use two freezer bags.

(Wait's patiently for Fotze to make a comment about my use of the word suck in the same sentance as I talk about "double bagging" it.)
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #23
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Do you actually thaw and re-freeze it? That's illegal in 4x4's handbook.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #24
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I'm also pretty anal about frozen meat-

(Wait's patiently for Fotze to make a comment about my use of the word suck in the same sentance as I talk about "double bagging" it.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
No I will choose to notice, that you take your frozen meat anally.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #25
stuck_in_chuk
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm curious, 4x4 - did you actually eat any of the sandwich with the green meat?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #26
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Salsa doesn't go bad, only the people eating it. Think about that one.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #27
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck_in_chuk View Post
I'm curious, 4x4 - did you actually eat any of the sandwich with the green meat?
Thankfully, no! I noticed the greenness on the edge of the sandwich meat before taking a bite. The funniest part about that is that there is a joke in my family about death... It's called "eating the green weiner".
Old 02-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #28
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Salsa doesn't go bad, only the people eating it. Think about that one.
Politicians don't lie! Rules change!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #29
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Pfft. There's no room in my freezer with all the human heads in there. But thanks for the trick. Does it still taste good? I'm a bit picky about frozen stuff as well..? Freezer burn tastes worse than green meat.
Things along the line of salsa, sauces, broth freeze well because they do not contain many air particles. A large frozen piece of meat like a roast will freeze and last longer than cut up chunks of stew. The chunks of stew have air spaces, and that is what will cause freezer burn. Of course, if things are properly wrapped, and if you actually use what is in your freezer instead of looking at it or forgetting about it, then they will last well. There is of course a shelf life on anything in your freezer just like there is a shelf life on fresh food products and canned food products.

Now if Ken is freezing his salsa and then just rewarming enough to scrape some off for his tacos and fajitas, not too much problem with returning the rest to the freezer as long as he does not repeat that process for a long time frame. He is not completely thawing the whole product. Of course, I would never advocate this procedure for any meat product, nor do I think Ken would do that.

Now what you can do, to make anything freeze better, is get rid of as much air as possible, air that would be exposed to food. So Ken, when you freeze that salsa, get some plastic wrap and press it down on the surface and then put the lid of the container on. Now your air space is touching the plastic wrap, not the salsa, see the difference? Also, if you allow half to three quarters of an inch head room, most things that are of the liquid nature will not swell too large and break your container when you freeze them.

Here is how I freeze some items. Take for instance if you buy a fresh bunch of parsley, cilantro or mint. Usually you need it for a few recipes but you won't use all of it at once, So I use whatever the recipe called for. Then I rinse the portion left over, shake out as much water as I can, chop or mince it and put it in a freezer type plastic bag and no, that does not mean a bag that you put your apples in when you purchased them at the grocery store. Freezer bags are made specifically for freezing food products. Now before I freeze my minced parsley, I take a straw, put it in the bag and suck out as much air as possible. So your minced parsley is now all snuggly and cozy with the other parsley, all scrunched and sucked together. Then I usually put that bag inside some plastic container and freeze it. It retains almost all of its flavor and color, no comparison between the dried stuff and frozen stuff. And because it has already been minced, you can add it to whatever and it cooks almost instantaneously. Parsley by the way also will last quite well in a glass of cold water in your fridge, inside a plastic bag to prevent dehydration. And here is what I learned in the Thai cooking class I took. Put your cilantro in a flat plastic container and put a raw egg in with it. Cover and refrigerate. It will last a couple of weeks this way. Your egg will turn green though and I don't advocate eating that egg((

The trick is to remove as much of the air as possible and then wrap it and containerize it so air can not come in after either.

What can you do with some other products, say icecream? Take out whatever portion of icecream that you require, cover with plastic wrap and push it down on the icecream, now put back the cover of the icecream container and return your icecream to the freezer. And if you want your icecream to last even longer, don't dig out a hole in the middle. If you dig a hole in the icecream, then you are increasing the amount of air that comes in contact with your icecream and it simply will not last as long and soon you will see those ugly ice crystals on top your icecream.

EDIT: Before anyone puts an egg in with cilantro as I mentioned above, I will add that the egg is kept in its shell!!! Do not break open egg and put in with raw cilantro. I guarantee the latter will result in spoiled egg and spoiled cilantro!!!

Last edited by redforever; 02-16-2008 at 10:52 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #30
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ You sound like you work for Guthy-Renker or something. Will you be giving demonstrations in the Round-Up Centre?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #31
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I heard somewhere that honey is the only naturally-occurring, edible substance that never goes bad. Not sure how true it is, but I definitely heard it sometime.
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #32
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT View Post
I heard somewhere that honey is the only naturally-occurring, edible substance that never goes bad. Not sure how true it is, but I definitely heard it sometime.
Pfft. Whoever told you this is a liar. Try missing Valentines Day. Honey goes bad.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #33
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ You sound like you work for Guthy-Renker or something. Will you be giving demonstrations in the Round-Up Centre?

No I do not, nor will I be giving demonstrations. But I did grow up on a farm in rural Saskatchewan where we did not get power until 1955. So out of necessity, you have to know how to process or can food products. We can freeze now, not back then, even meat was processed except for things like chicken or fish that could be consumed in one meal.

I still grow a lot of my own food and I prepare most of my food from scratch. I have not bought any kind of pickles outside of say olives for years, I do my own pickling from all from my home grown cucumbers. I make most of my own jams and jellies, just made Seville marmalade a couple of weeks ago because the Seville oranges were in season.

My children are grown and away from home now so we do not require as much food so I no longer freeze as many vegetables and the like. But if and when I do, I use the same procedure as above, I remove as much air as possible before anything is put in the freezer.

By the way, I make my own salsa with my own home grown tomatoes!!! And 4x4, that stuff does not last long enough to worry about it going bad))

Last edited by redforever; 02-16-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #34
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT View Post

Not sure, I do know that it will crystalize. That can be remedied by placing it in the microwave.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #35
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I found mold in a jar of salsa.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #36
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I found mold in a jar of salsa.
Oh god. Garbage day isn't until wednesday. There is a mold potential in my garage until then. Maybe I should go rent a hotel room for four days.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #37
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I still grow a lot of my own food
See, now I know you are full of it. Food doesn't "grow", it comes from stores. It's like that old saying: "Food doesn't grow on trees".
Old 02-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #38
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
See, now I know you are full of it. Food doesn't "grow", it comes from stores. It's like that old saying: "Food doesn't grow on trees".
Wrong. God creates it.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #39
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

if it smells like trout, stay out..errrr uhhh i mean, When in doubt, throw it out!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #40
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus

Wrong. God creates it.
Right and he creates it in my garden!!!