Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #261
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Does anyone see this team even duplicating last year's feat without either a total dedication to defense or a major trade?
Sure. Outside Cleveland, the rest of the East scares no one either. Anyone who doesn't end up with the 4, 5 or 8 seed will have a chance to get to the ECF. What I'm really interested to see though is what happens if it looks like Philly might get the #8 seed. I could totally see the Cavs tanking out of the #1 seed to avoid them. Philly if they sneak in will be the most dangerous 8 seed ever. They are playing really well of late, and of course Ben Simmons still to come. Would be a fascinating team to watch.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #262
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Sure. Outside Cleveland, the rest of the East scares no one either. Anyone who doesn't end up with the 4, 5 or 8 seed will have a chance to get to the ECF. What I'm really interested to see though is what happens if it looks like Philly might get the #8 seed. I could totally see the Cavs tanking out of the #1 seed to avoid them. Philly if they sneak in will be the most dangerous 8 seed ever. They are playing really well of late, and of course Ben Simmons still to come. Would be a fascinating team to watch.
So you are saying that the other teams other than Philly suck as bad as the Raptors. So other than the Cavs it's a crap shoot who will be in the finals? I would agree with that as I don't see the Raptors as any better than any of the other playoff teams. And I do see them in trouble against the Wizards, Bulls, Hornets.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:39 PM   #263
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Philly is scary because with the playoff schedule as is Embiid won't be restricted to games, just minutes. Their numbers when he plays are very strong. They have a lot of talent obviously, just not experience. As far as the other non-Cavs playoff teams, they all have flaws and are all beatable by each other. So what I'm saying is it doesn't matter where they get seeded, they are all close as overall teams. The Raps clearly have taken a step back the last month, so while at one point you could say they were clearly a level above the rest (if a level below Cleveland), everyone is pretty much in the same level right now.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #264
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Raptors game tonight is a display of how not to play perimeter defence.

The highlights on TSN will likely show kyle Lowry late on his man as the ball is spread.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #265
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is it just me or is Lowry over rated? He seems to always choke in big moments.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:42 PM   #266
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Got the win, but that was just absolute garbage basketball. Atrocious defence, Terrible shot
Selection, and just all around soft basketball. The team can't play d worth ####. They need
To move on from Casey or get some guys in here that are willing to be coached. Not sure which it is, but Casey is the easy out.
To be a

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 01-31-2017 at 07:55 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:35 PM   #267
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Got the win, but that was just absolute garbage basketball. Atrocious defence, Terrible shot
Selection, and just all around soft basketball. The team can't play d worth ####. They need
To move on from Casey or get some guys in here that are willing to be coached. Not sure which it is, but Casey is the easy out.
To be a
I didn't watch any of it tonight, but 106 points against in a OT is pretty good. I agree though, the team is too soft.

I don't think this D is really fixable. Lowry, DeRozan, Ross all get blown by on the perimeter on every play. Can't have a successful defense when your big minute players give up penetration like that.

It's such an awkward spot to be in. Could easily be the 2nd best team in the east, but are nowhere really close to winning a championship.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:36 PM   #268
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I didn't watch any of it tonight, but 106 points against in a OT is pretty good. I agree though, the team is too soft.

I don't think this D is really fixable. Lowry, DeRozan, Ross all get blown by on the perimeter on every play. Can't have a successful defense when your big minute players give up penetration like that.

It's such an awkward spot to be in. Could easily be the 2nd best team in the east, but are nowhere really close to winning a championship.
Point total was low because Davis had a horrible night from the field. Holiday driove the paint uncontested all night. No one in the middle at all.

When is JV going to play the game like a man? He plays like a scared little
Boy. Tired of him getting owned in defensive paint, losing rebounds to much smaller players and refusing to take it to the rack with authority. Needs to take his dainty little layups and tip ins and shove them. Grab the goddamn ball and smash it trough the hoop.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 01-31-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:53 PM   #269
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealpineoracle View Post
point total was low because davis had a horrible night from the field. Holiday driove the paint uncontested all night. No one in the middle at all.

When is jv going to play the game like a man? He plays like a scared itty bitty
boy. Tired of him getting owned in defensive paint, losing rebounds to much smaller players and refusing to take it to the rack with authority. Needs to take his dainty little layups and tip ins and shove them. Grab the goddamn ball and smash it trough the hoop.
fyp
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 AM   #270
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
fyp
I don't disagree with the sentiment and I wish he would stop with the tip attempts but this was a great game for him. 20 pts and 12 rebounds and I've rarely seen him so involved. He owned Davis all game long.

Now if he would just play like that on a consistent basis minus the tippy tappy stuff. Think it's not amazing that with DD out he comes up with this performance either. He saw the ball way more than usual and was more active everywhere on the court. Had five fouls but managed to hang in the game.

It bugs me they don't use him more and it bugs me he does not use that size to more advantage. Either way they aren't getting out of him what they could.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #271
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
I don't disagree with the sentiment and I wish he would stop with the tip attempts but this was a great game for him. 20 pts and 12 rebounds and I've rarely seen him so involved. He owned Davis all game long.

Now if he would just play like that on a consistent basis minus the tippy tappy stuff. Think it's not amazing that with DD out he comes up with this performance either. He saw the ball way more than usual and was more active everywhere on the court. Had five fouls but managed to hang in the game.

It bugs me they don't use him more and it bugs me he does not use that size to more advantage. Either way they aren't getting out of him what they could.
He was non-existent when it mattered down the stretch though. He basically stepped aside and let them Drive right by him for an easy two and then take some ridiculous swipe of them after they made it by to add the foul. I don't agree that he dominated Davis at all. Davis had a bad night plain and simple, and JV was just the beneficiary of it. Davis was terrible from the line or this game doesn't make it to OT. The game still doesn't even need OT if JV simply recognizes there is a guy behind the play and yells at Lowry he's behind him. He just sat there and watched it happen. Zero basketball IQ.

I've always been a huge JV fan (even have a jersey), and have screamed for them to use him more. I'm starting to see why they don't though. You can't use a guy in key situations when you can't trust him to get it done. JV simply has way too low of a basketball IQ and isn't a competitor. I thought it could be taught, but how many years are we going on now? It's his 5th OT 6th season and he still plays the game like a rookie. I'm about ready to move on from him while he still has a relatively high value, though I bet his value around the league may be less than us Raptor fans perceive it to be.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #272
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have the stats on opponents 3 point shooting percentage since Christmas?

Last game the 3 guard set for the Pelicans were close to .600 if I am not mistaken. The Pelicans team percentage was only .400 because one guy went 0 for 7 or something.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:39 PM   #273
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Entertaining game so far tonight against Boston, but man these teams play with no structure. It's so evident that either of these teams would be able to go a seven game series with an actual contender.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #274
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Celtics were one of the best defensive teams in the league last year. Not so much this year. Really everyone in the league is worse defensively this year, I'm not sure if this year is an anomaly or the future of the league. But soon Utah will be the only team allowing less than 100 PPG, and unless they collapse defensively down the stretch, they will be the only team to finish the year allowing less than 100 PPG.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #275
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Celtics were one of the best defensive teams in the league last year. Not so much this year. Really everyone in the league is worse defensively this year, I'm not sure if this year is an anomaly or the future of the league. But soon Utah will be the only team allowing less than 100 PPG, and unless they collapse defensively down the stretch, they will be the only team to finish the year allowing less than 100 PPG.
Do you think it's a function of everyone knowing they are playing for second place in both divisions and don't have a hope in hell of winning the championship? Just going out there and having fun and putting in a show.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #276
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun game, even some animosity now
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #277
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

They can't stop Thomas, he's on fire in this quarter.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #278
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

That's a disappointing ending to a game they were well in control of most of the way. That last play.....I was excited for, then, not so much.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #279
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Do you think it's a function of everyone knowing they are playing for second place in both divisions and don't have a hope in hell of winning the championship? Just going out there and having fun and putting in a show.
Lol no. It's because teams are shooting more threes than ever, and at a higher percentage. Add in every team now required to have a stretch 4 and/or a stretch 5, and there's floor spacing like crazy, allowing for easier access to the rim, and good shooters aplenty, so if you wanna collapse the defense when the ball handler takes it to the rim, lots of open looks outside. Do you think every team outside Cleveland and Golden State has already given up on the season and are just playing out the string?
Old 02-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #280
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Lol no. It's because teams are shooting more threes than ever, and at a higher percentage. Add in every team now required to have a stretch 4 and/or a stretch 5, and there's floor spacing like crazy, allowing for easier access to the rim, and good shooters aplenty, so if you wanna collapse the defense when the ball handler takes it to the rim, lots of open looks outside. Do you think every team outside Cleveland and Golden State has already given up on the season and are just playing out the string?
Honestly, outside 4 or 5 teams (Spurs, Warriors, Cavs, Clippers), I do honestly believe they all know they haven't a chance and are playing out the string. I think the East has been the string since game 1.

Tags
competitive disparity , in masai we trust , minny is further north , nat'l blowout association , nba 2k17 is the bomb , swept away , yawnba