Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2017, 11:02 PM   #181
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The other big problem is that the other teams know they can take more liberties against the Flames and will get away with it a high percentage of the time. That's how you end up with games like the Wild's 21 slash salute on Gaudreau.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #182
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
You keep saying that, but offer no reason why those games should be taken away. If the referees were indeed out to get the Flames, shortly after the incident would be when their tempers were hottest and their desire to inflict punishment most intense.

It appears that you are absolutely committed to explaining the facts away instead of explaining the facts.

I don't know if that is when tempers were at their hottest though. I think things came more to a boiling point when it was found out that the linesman wasn't as okay as initially reported, and then the NHL hearing and all of the Gary Bettman crap and the subsequent reduction in the suspension. I think you would see some more noticeable differences when those events occurred.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:07 AM   #183
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
Despite the initial shock value of the visual, I just don't see how everyone thinks this is such damning evidence. Take away the 2 games in back-to-back nights shortly after the incident where we were on the penalty kill an incredible 16 times and that lowers the penalty rate 0.47 (16 penalties/34 games)...bringing our penalty rate UNDER 0.0 for the remaining 32 games (meaning LESS penalties were called after the incident the rest of last season).

You can definitely argue the refs were out to screw us in those two games...provided the calls are actually unwarranted. But it's very misleading to lump those 2 outliers in with the other 32 games to artificially inflate the average and make it seem like way more penalties were called in every game to end last season.
You're overdoing it when you bring those two games down to zero - you should bring them down to average, which is what - about 4 per game? That cuts the effect you're trying to argue in half.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #184
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And if you take out all the penalties given against the other teams you can see that the flames are actually getting preferential treatment from the ref.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #185
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no stats to back it up, but my complaints about non-calls might not be borne out by raw stats simply because there were a few games where the calls were eventually made up (but the game was out of reach).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:32 PM   #186
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

The league should just schedule weekly meetings with the Flames at this point.

I've been angry at this all season, but there's something more enraging about it now that the Flames appear to be emerging as a strong playoff team. I have a feeling we'll be seeing many similar calls to this Kings pad pushing goal down the stretch against teams we're battling.

Last edited by jayswin; 02-28-2017 at 07:35 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #187
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The league should just schedule weekly meetings with the Flames at this point.

I've been angry at this all season, but there's something more enraging about it now that the Flames appear to be emerging as a strong playoff team. I have a feeling we'll be seeing many similar calls to this Kings pad pushing goal down the stretch against teams we're battling.
IMO the original penalty call was more iffy than the goal. Flames have had what one or two powerplays in their last two games and the officials call that garbage against them?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #188
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't get over some of these reviews these days.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #189
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Someone needs to put up the videos of the kings goal vs the Montreal non goal today. I think it's deserving of its own thread
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post: