Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #1201
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
So, I just discovered that Gojira will be on the Metallica tour.

They are one of my favourites, but they are playing BC Place, and tickets start at $105 for the upper section located about 7 kms from the stage. I don't like Metallica enough to shell out for the privilege to see Gojira live from another neighbourhood. Ugh.
Right? I mean it's cool Gojiras going to get even more exposure touring with metallica but I too cannot justify shelling out any amount of dough just to see the opening act in BC place. Thankfully, I'll be working Shambhala on the 14th and have a very good reason to skip out. But damn, Gojiras going to be in my neighborhood and I'm going to miss out.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #1202
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

not really "metal", but I've always had a really, really, really soft spot for them. "Disclaimer" and "Karma & Effect" were simply outstanding albums back then. Incredible live band too and very nice guys, saw them live in Austria a couple of years ago and, it being a small venue, they stayed back and drank beer with the audience. This one sounds a bit like Chevelle IMO, which is never a bad thing.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #1203
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was browsing tickets for Metallica in Edmonton, $220 for floor tickets in commonwealth, not even the new arena. I've seen Metallica and A7X before, and I don't mind Gojira but no way can I justify that money for that show.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:11 PM   #1204
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I was browsing tickets for Metallica in Edmonton, $220 for floor tickets in commonwealth, not even the new arena. I've seen Metallica and A7X before, and I don't mind Gojira but no way can I justify that money for that show.
In the interest of honestly trying not to come across like an dickhead here, I will not complain if your response to this is"eff off" and you may be right to say it, but... Commonwealth isn't the old arena either, it's the football stadium.

Anyway, as absurd as it sounds, that price tag doesn't sound too crazy. I got cajoled into some pretty crappy seats for Guns n' Roses there this summer and they aren't much less than than $220. I get to watch Fat Axl on a giant TV from half a mile away for $175.

(sorry for bringing Guns n' Roses up in the metal thread!)

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:37 AM   #1205
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post

Anyway, as absurd as it sounds, that price tag doesn't sound too crazy. I got cajoled into some pretty crappy seats for Guns n' Roses there this summer and they aren't much less than than $220. I get to watch Fat Axl on a giant TV from half a mile away for $175.
Yeah, I was interested in going to see GNR since I never got the chance in the 90s but I wasn't going to pay $300 after fees like my sister did.

I was really hoping tickets would be what they were the last time I saw Metallica but decided this could be the last time I get to see them live and I've always wanted to see them in a stadium so I went for it. It ended up being $208 after fees and $4 for shipping. I'm not sitting as close as I hoped (240, row K at BC Place) but it should be a good view for a stadium show. I sat a section or two closer for AC/DC and couldn't see the drummer and alot of the stage props.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #1206
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I was reminded today that DOOM 2016 may have the best soundtrack of any video game ever. It's worth playing just for the music alone

Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #1207
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listening a lot of Be'lakor and Insomnium lately ... two outstanding melodeath bands IMO. I shared a few Be'lakor songs before, but a couple more won't hurt, right?

Last edited by devo22; 03-22-2017 at 04:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #1208
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 AM   #1209
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Listening a lot of Be'lakor and Insomnium lately ... two outstanding melodeath bands IMO. I shared a few Be'lakor songs before, but a couple more won't hurt, right?

All day, all night it's Gojira and Insomnia for me lately. It's like a fiending I cannot sate.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 01:24 AM   #1210
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kreator, Sodom and Vader on the 31st at the Mac Hall. ****ing deadly.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #1211
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
All day, all night it's Gojira and Insomnia for me lately. It's like a fiending I cannot sate.
The thing with Gojira is that I absolutely love "Magma", but have a hard time enjoying most of their earlier stuff. Can't really explain it, it just doesn't grasp me as much. Which is a damn shame because "Magma" is a masterpiece. Insomnium meanwhile ... I don't know, the first time I heard "While We Sleep" was just pure eargasm

Amorphis and Omnium Gatherum also look like pretty cool bands, I guess I need to get even more into those Finnish and Swedish bands

Old 03-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #1212
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is anyone going to be looking in to Emperor of Sand by Mastodon? Crack the Skye remains my favourite offering by them, with the Hunter being somewhat of a disappointment and Once More 'Round the Sun being a bit of an improvement.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #1213
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah I'm looking forward to it. Really liked the new songs they've put out so far.

Agreed on "Crack the Skye", also my favourite Mastodon album so far.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #1214
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Is anyone going to be looking in to Emperor of Sand by Mastodon? Crack the Skye remains my favourite offering by them, with the Hunter being somewhat of a disappointment and Once More 'Round the Sun being a bit of an improvement.
It leaked a few days ago. I really like it.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #1215
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

early "album of the year" candidate. Outstanding record.

Brann Dailor is a genius.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #1216
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
The thing with Gojira is that I absolutely love "Magma", but have a hard time enjoying most of their earlier stuff. Can't really explain it, it just doesn't grasp me as much. Which is a damn shame because "Magma" is a masterpiece. Insomnium meanwhile ... I don't know, the first time I heard "While We Sleep" was just pure eargasm
I'm hooked on this song :

I don't know, L'enfant Sauvage is another utterly brilliant album Imo.

And the album The Way of all Flesh is what got me hooked.

I can honestly listen to their entire catalogue over and over right now. Like I said earlier, just an insatiable need to have them in my ears.

As for the other bands, I really dig B'ela Kor or however you spell it. Love their brand of melodo metal.

Last edited by dammage79; 03-27-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #1217
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, I'd like to share with the class another favorite band of mine. I present to you Shade Empire. I'm sure y'all have heard them before but hot damn are they epic.

Last edited by dammage79; 03-28-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #1218
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah L'enfant Sauvage was a great album also, and was when I really started paying attention to Gojira. They have quite a unique sound.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #1219
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #1220
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Some kids out of Pennsylvania, nice and brutal:

Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote