Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #41
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Is this a good date movie? My wife usually likes comedies or crap like the notebook, chocolate or serendipity.

If I arrange for the kids to be up with the grandparents the night we see it, should I expect to get my freak on when we get home?
Yes, she will love it.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is this a good date movie? My wife usually likes comedies or crap like the notebook, chocolate or serendipity.

If I arrange for the kids to be up with the grandparents the night we see it, should I expect to get my freak on when we get home?
Please report back with the result!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #43
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

This might be a stretch but John Wick has some themes and elements that go beyond an angry man double tapping people's heads. I think it's why it has done well.

The first John Wick was about a guy dealing with loss in a violent way. I don't want to spoiler the second one but it has it's own themes as well.

My The Notebook-loving wife liked both John Wick movies.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #44
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

John Wick 2 was fantastic.

..and I think I must be getting old, because a few times during the opening scene I questioned whether or not I could handle the AVX audio, but (thankfully?) it never gets as loud as that opening scene again.

Awesome movie.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:54 AM   #45
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

This is why I read CalgaryPuck! I live in China so am a little out of the loop when it comes to Canadian\Amerucan culture.

I've seen this movie talked about so much on here so i finally watched the first one. John Wick is the baddest badass of all time. What a great movie! I love 80s action movies and this reminded me of that but way better. Niw I've got to see the second one.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:57 AM   #46
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Per this thread I watched John Wick last night and was pretty entertained. It was a fresh feeling big dumb action movie. I'll probably go see JW2.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:07 AM   #47
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

My girl hated hated hated the first.
Spoiler!

I will take this one in myself. I loved loved loved the first.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:13 AM   #48
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I had to watch the first one so I could end up watching the second one and I don't think I even want to do that anymore.

Man I must have really high expectations with movies but I thought the first one was cheezy garbage. Seriously one of the worst moves I've ever watched.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:32 AM   #49
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I had to watch the first one so I could end up watching the second one and I don't think I even want to do that anymore.

Man I must have really high expectations with movies but I thought the first one was cheezy garbage. Seriously one of the worst moves I've ever watched.
I could maybe see people not liking this movie if they aren't into action movies and violence, but I didn't find it cheezy at all. Worst movie you have ever watched? I'm guessing you just aren't into action movies.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 10:06 AM   #50
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

..and I think I must be getting old, because a few times during the opening scene I questioned whether or not I could handle the AVX audio, but (thankfully?) it never gets as loud as that opening scene again.

Awesome movie.
ha, glad I wasn't the only one... the car chase and the bullets going off at the start was crazy loud.

Good movie, another solid outing.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #51
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Awesome movie.
I haven't seen a movie in UltraAVX since Mad Max: Fury Road.

Awesome movie, but my ears were literally ringing for a few hours after.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #52
steve9981
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by steve9981; 08-21-2017 at 01:16 PM.
steve9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve9981 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 09:16 AM   #53
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Keanu's very limited range of acting and expression is actually perfect for this role. Highly believable as a jaded assassin who is numb to the world.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #54
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Keanu's very limited range of acting and expression is actually perfect for this role. Highly believable as a jaded assassin who is numb to the world.
That pretty much sums up his entire career.

"Need Deadpan and Expressionless? Keanu's your man!"

I'll give him credit, its worked out well for him. I cant think of a movie that hes been in where I can point to him specifically as the reason it sucked.

Hes never been one of my favourite actors but hes never been one that I disliked really either. He just is what he is and he kind of stays within that realm.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #55
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That pretty much sums up his entire career.

"Need Deadpan and Expressionless? Keanu's your man!"

I'll give him credit, its worked out well for him. I cant think of a movie that hes been in where I can point to him specifically as the reason it sucked.

Hes never been one of my favourite actors but hes never been one that I disliked really either. He just is what he is and he kind of stays within that realm.
Johnny Mnemonic was pretty bad, and he should shoulder alot the blame for that. I still remember cringing and feeling embarrassed for him every time he yelled "hit me" in that stupid flat monotone voice.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #56
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Johnny Mnemonic was pretty bad, and he should shoulder alot the blame for that. I still remember cringing and feeling embarrassed for him every time he yelled "hit me" in that stupid flat monotone voice.
Oh man, you want to go all the way back to 1995? Okay...but in fairness that movie likely wasnt going to be great regardless of who they cast.

But yes, he was definitely a weak link in that chain.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #57
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Its kind of funny (sad?) that he never evolved or improved as an actor over 20+ years in the trade. That said, you can't deny his career has been highly successful from an entertainment and revenue metric, and this appears to be because he is astute enough to limit his acting to roles that fit within his talents.

He'll never win an Oscar but I'll still pay to see his movies.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #58
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its kind of funny (sad?) that he never evolved or improved as an actor over 20+ years in the trade. That said, you can't deny his career has been highly successful from an entertainment and revenue metric, and this appears to be because he is astute enough to limit his acting to roles that fit within his talents.

He'll never win an Oscar but I'll still pay to see his movies.
Yeah thats a fairly succinct summary.

Keanu is what he is and as long as he sticks to that he delivers good movies. When he tries to be something he isnt its typically a disaster.

I'd love to know how much money hes earned through his career so far.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #59
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah thats a fairly succinct summary.

Keanu is what he is and as long as he sticks to that he delivers good movies. When he tries to be something he isnt its typically a disaster.

I'd love to know how much money hes earned through his career so far.
I'd wager he's made significantly more than 95% of other comparable actors because he got contract for the Matrix movies granting him 10-15% of all revenue. The 3 Matrix movies alone would put him well north of 150 million.

The more I think about it, this guy is probably too smart to be an actor...he should have been a rocket surgeon.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd wager he's made significantly more than 95% of other comparable actors because he got contract for the Matrix movies granting him 10-15% of all revenue. The 3 Matrix movies alone would put him well north of 150 million.

The more I think about it, this guy is probably too smart to be an actor...he should have been a rocket surgeon.
Thats his gross revenue which is all we can really judge him on, but as I understand he gave a good chunk of that away.

Hes was in the same boat that Daniel Craig is in now.

"You're the face of a franchise and we dont want to replace you so here are trucks full of money..."