Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #1361
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
The only reason I prefer one over the other is whether I want to drag my keys with me
lol, with all the stuff you have to bring on a trip, a set of keys would be the least of my concerns.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #1362
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
lol, with all the stuff you have to bring on a trip, a set of keys would be the least of my concerns.
I had a backpack stolen when I was in California, which included my car and house keys. That was fun trying to get home after the flight landed -- and why I prefer to leave my keys with a valet if I can!
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #1363
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Just be aware of the potential bad things that can happen with Park2Go. Including: Joy rides, robberies etc.

Ensure you don't leave your registration/garage opener in the car.
Their slogan is "No Delays, I promise." not "We won't steal your car and use your registration to find out where you live and rob you blind while you are away."

How could I have been so blind?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #1364
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Absurd. Have you ever flown priority or first? I expect to be coddled all the way from the check in desk, to security, to the lounge, to the boarding line and the premium in-flight experience.
You should also get your own lane on Deerfoot, an enclosed heated parking spot at the gate and a bottle of champagne while you're in line.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #1365
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
You should also get your own lane on Deerfoot, an enclosed heated parking spot at the gate and a bottle of champagne while you're in line.
Haha great response.

If flying first class I have no problem with you getting your own lines for security and onto the plane. Customs and immigration though? Get to the back of the line with the rest of us.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #1366
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Notice how I didn't say anything about priority customs screening.

Having said that though, there absolutely should be streamlined security and customs screening for trusted travelers.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:01 PM   #1367
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...-functionality

Quote:
Deborah Yedlin: New Calgary airport CEO ‘hell bent’ on fixing international terminal ‘short on functionality’
Quote:
None of this is lost on new Calgary Airport Authority CEO Bob Sartor, whose career has been concentrated in the world of retail and customer service.

“I have had several conversations with Gregg (Saretsky) at WestJet. They are our number 1 customer and guess what? When your number 1 customer talks, you have to listen,” said Sartor.

He has also met with Air Canada to hear their concerns, recognizing the airline’s importance as a YYC customer, and received emails from passengers that Sartor says would “peel paint.”

“The new terminal is long on aesthetics and short on functionality,” he said in a recent interview.

No kidding.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #1368
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Regular_John; 03-01-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #1369
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

So even the CEO of the airport agrees it's functionality is ####, yet folks in this thread defend the new terminal.

But CroFlames, they have an automated bin system!!!!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #1370
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This thread seems to be missing the few posters on here lately that were telling those of us who used the new terminal early on that our frustrations and critiques were misguided and that the new terminal was the greatest thing since sliced bread

I'm all seriousness though, this really has turned into a monumental
Screw up. Not sure how this could go so far off the rails?

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 03-01-2017 at 08:53 AM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #1371
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I'll play devil's advocate. I flew to the US and back and thought it was fine. No problems, all good, nice terminal, aesthetically pleasing. However, I can see a domestic transfer being a problem.

That being said, I'm sure some of the complaints could be curbed if they just put in gate seats and food on the other end of the terminal.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #1372
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally had a chance to try the terminal a couple of weeks ago going down the PHX with the family.

We were leaving at a non-peak time (departure 5:45) so when we arrived bag drop, security, and customs was little to no lines. So I can't speak to those when it is busy.

Airside I had no issues with the set up, we hung out in the central area, grabbed an early supper with the kids and they spent most time playing in that kids area. Was watching the central screens to see when our gate would be announced, and as promised it popped up at the set time (also got a notification via the WestJet App). However from this point on someone not familiar with the Call to Gate system could have missed the flight. The info screens never updated to say "Boarding" or "Head to Gate", we casually walked over about 30 minutes prior to departure and sure enough the flight was already boarding.

Such a key part of the whole Call to Gate system has to work, if they can't even get that figured out this many months in I don't know what to say.

Last edited by Bigtime; 03-01-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #1373
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see that the CEO is owning some of the problems he has inherited. They've been getting it from all sides - passengers, WestJet, the media, etc.

There isn't a lot that they can do to make connections easier for WestJet (that wouldn't be hugely expensive), but hopefully some of the obvious yet overlooked things can be addressed: seating, food, water fountains, Nexus, call to gate. If they had done those things properly from the get go, they'd be getting a lot fewer complaints.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 10:57 PM   #1374
Hammertime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The main problem I see is that the people put in power to make the decisions had little relevant experience developing something as complex as a new airport terminal. Good to see that they picked someone who used to make beer to try and fix it. Its like hiring a newspaper guy to develop plans for a new arena.

Last edited by Hammertime; 03-01-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hammertime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 07:23 AM   #1375
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
The main problem I see is that the people put in power to make the decisions had little relevant experience developing something as complex as a new airport terminal. Good to see that they picked someone who used to make beer to try and fix it. Its like hiring a newspaper guy to develop plans for a new arena.
I know you're upset right now, so I think we'll let it slide. But let's not go making fun of brewers and brewsters. They are a valuable cog in our society that enables it to function properly.

Make fun of the airport all you like, and the people running it, but let's leave the beer out of it

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #1376
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well their hockey team may be faring better than ours right now, but we score some points by stealing their twice weekly diamond mine flights going forward. Take that Edmonton!

Calgary Herald article on the move by De Beers:

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...medium=twitter

Quote:
CEO Kim Truter said the move from Edmonton makes sense since Calgary offers better connections for the company’s employees and visiting international colleagues.
Quote:
The Calgary Airport Authority welcomed Tuesday’s announcement, which president and CEO Bob Sartor said is part of what has the potential to be a burgeoning charter business at YYC and could not have happened without the opening of the new international terminal last year.

“We were so congested in this airport before building this new terminal that we were going to be faced potentially with the loss of business . . . We didn’t have the availability of gates,” Sartor said. “What the new terminal has given us is the ability to do these kinds of things.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #1377
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I recently flew to Cancun and used the new international terminal. I will admit I didn't spend much time there since I went straight to the Aspire Lounge upstairs. It's really nice with a great view of the terminal but I found the changes to the lounge food wise, upsetting. Not much in the way of options to choose from and even worse was the fact that the amount of prepped food to take with you was very poor. Fruits, nuts, a salad or sandwich etc.

Outside of this I don't really have much to complain about from my very little experience. I can see how the lack of seating at the gate could be a big issue but I also found the airport to be totally dead when I flew out during a peak hour 8 am on a weekday.

Hopefully it improves for a lot of the people who use it frequently. I am a frequent traveler but I didn't experience a lot of the complaints of a lot of people.
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #1378
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sad that the AC 9 flight to Narita only uses the 787 in the summer

I basically try to build my flight schedule around that plane.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:17 AM   #1379
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Westjet announces plans to launch ultra low cost carrier: http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...619941133.html

"WestJet today announced its intention to launch a new, ultra-low-cost carrier (ULCC) in Canada subject to agreement with its pilots and any required regulatory approvals. Service is expected to start in late 2017 with an initial fleet of 10 high-density Boeing 737-800s designed by the airline that first brought low-cost air travel to Canada in 1996. The ULCC will provide Canadians with no-frills, lower-cost travel options."
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:33 AM   #1380
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which frills are they getting rid of? The free drink? I can't think of anything else that they could charge for, other than cabin baggage? "High density" 737-800's sounds squishy.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc