Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 12:43 PM   #1221
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Maybe he is there to talk about how he overcame his abuse in the WHL.
I'd rather hear from Sheldon Kennedy

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 01:31 PM   #1222
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never understood the desire to waste money on guest speakers for these types of events. Instead of hiring someone that is going to give a boring/lame speech they should hire someone that can provide something entertaining like a comedian or whatever. I'd rather listen to a some jokes from a polarizing comedian and at least get a few laughs instead of listening to some blowhard spouting motivational words.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:48 PM   #1223
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I never understood the desire to waste money on guest speakers for these types of events. Instead of hiring someone that is going to give a boring/lame speech they should hire someone that can provide something entertaining like a comedian or whatever. I'd rather listen to a some jokes from a polarizing comedian and at least get a few laughs instead of listening to some blowhard spouting motivational words.
I'd like to see them bring in hypnotists to real dig into how the board actually thinks, and to make the CEO believe they are Spongebob for the duration of the event.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:53 PM   #1224
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I sent in an email to ASET and received a response simply stating that Theo will only be speaking on mental health and addiction and that "His political views will not come up during his keynote address." I actually never thought he would directly address the audience with his crazy rambling and push his wacky political views, that was too insane to contemplate.

I'm not sure if they're aware of how ####ing nuts this guy is and who they are associating themselves with, so I sent them a little list of his greatest hits. He's simple out of his mind, reading through that made me feel crazy.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM   #1225
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Theo needs to get back on the sauce.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:11 PM   #1226
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

how can any proper discussion of mental health and addiction not talk about political views?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:13 PM   #1227
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you cant trust a complete whackadoodle to stay on script and not mention all his greatest hits, then who can you trust?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:43 PM   #1228
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'll be honest, a chat with "old Theo" would probably have been an interesting listen. Hockey stories, overcoming abuse, etc. I have no doubt that he's had an interesting life, and dealt with a tonne of adversity.

But I wouldn't be caught anywhere near an event that platforms him AND financially compensates him. I don't care if he doesn't utter a word of politics or conspiracy - just having his name "headlining" something like this gives the impression of credibility that he does not have or deserve.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:49 PM   #1229
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I sent in an email to ASET and received a response simply stating that Theo will only be speaking on mental health and addiction and that "His political views will not come up during his keynote address." I actually never thought he would directly address the audience with his crazy rambling and push his wacky political views, that was too insane to contemplate.

I'm not sure if they're aware of how ####ing nuts this guy is and who they are associating themselves with, so I sent them a little list of his greatest hits. He's simple out of his mind, reading through that made me feel crazy.
This is like saying that they've invited Bill Cosby to tell a few jokes and share some stories about what it was like to be a sitcom star in the 80s but all those women he drugged and raped will not come up during his keynote address.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:58 PM   #1230
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Please let us know how it goes.

I actually doubt any of his political beliefs get brought up (He knows this is a paid gig and the audience and likes to make ... money)

I also doubt anyone will bring it up to him, as outside of this message board very very few people in Calgary have any idea what his views are. Most people dont follow him or read message boards all day.

Maybe someone 1-1 talks to him in a general chat.

But I will admit I am curious for an update on how it goes!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:13 PM   #1231
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://news.brandonu.ca/2021/09/07/...t-theo-fleury/

Statement from BU:

Brandon University is steadfast in our support of academic freedom, academic inquiry, and of robust public debate around issues of consequence. These freedoms, however, must be balanced against responsibilities like honesty, like integrity, and like good faith. We are disappointed that honorary degree recipient Theo Fleury is, increasingly, not meeting that balance.

In 2015, Brandon University presented Fleury with an honorary doctorate, recognizing his significant contributions to combating child sexual abuse, and for his efforts, at that time, to promote healing and recovery. Fleury, a survivor of sexual abuse in his youth, was one of the key voices exposing sexual predation in junior hockey, and he continues to deserve both praise and understanding for that role.

More recently, Fleury has turned his voice to launching personal and political attacks and to the espousing of conspiracy theories. Over the weekend, he shared a reprehensible statement falsely linking vaccine passports to pedophilia, and he responded to criticism by brandishing a screenshot highlighting several of his past awards, including his honorary degree from BU.

Honorary degrees are awarded by Brandon University to recognize an individual’s significant achievements or contributions; they are not an academic credential.

Fleury’s significant contributions to exposing the rot in junior hockey, and to supporting other survivors of child sexual abuse through recovery, continue to deserve respect. It is understandable that he may struggle to trust authority, and that he may see dark motives in others’ actions. His recent statements, however, go beyond reasonable distrust and are a stain on his legacy, which saddens us.

One of the tragedies of abuse is how it perpetuates itself across generations. We call on Fleury to recognize that he is now a person in a position of authority, and to recognize that his actions as an authority put him in a place where he can cause harm to others. We hope he takes advantage of the resources at his disposal and seeks greater understanding of the science behind the pandemic and the essential public health role of vaccines.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 03:17 PM   #1232
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://www.gh360.ca/?p=15717

Comments from GH:

Guelph-Humber decided to approach this differently, making a statement but not using Theo Fleury’s name and just referring to him as an “honorary degree recipient.” The statement released by Guelph-Humber wrote “the University of Guelph-Humber is aware that erroneous, misleading and damaging statements have been expressed on social media by one of its past honorary degree recipients. They do not reflect the opinions or views of the University of Guelph-Humber or the University of Guelph. The spreading of misinformation about COVID-19 and vaccination effectiveness is irresponsible and even dangerous, as it puts public health and safety at risk. While we support the right of an individual to express their own opinions, we do not support the sharing of beliefs and opinions as facts.”
Old 03-27-2024, 03:20 PM   #1233
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

First of all, the Venn diagram between my personal beliefs and Theo's probably resembles two separate circles. With that out of the way though, I believe the world needs a whole lot less of people who are not actually attending a private speaking engagement themselves nor are members of the group putting it on trying to cancel speakers at private speaking engagements. Trying to cancel people these days almost accomplishes the opposite of the intended effect. And no, MarchHare it's not even remotely comparable to paying Bill Cosby's to speak.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:20 PM   #1234
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Exact same as what was written here. Just a copy paste provided to the event by Theo. https://ceh.cmha.ca/events/walk-tall...fleury-online/.
Holy Sh*t! They also got James Faulkner, star of Bell Fibe 1's hit TV series Vollies, and play by play voice of the Maritime Junior A Truro Bearcats to emcee your event!

Sorry man, put up with hearing Fleury talk, James is awesome!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:34 PM   #1235
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
First of all, the Venn diagram between my personal beliefs and Theo's probably resembles two separate circles. With that out of the way though, I believe the world needs a whole lot less of people who are not actually attending a private speaking engagement themselves nor are members of the group putting it on trying to cancel speakers at private speaking engagements. Trying to cancel people these days almost accomplishes the opposite of the intended effect. And no, MarchHare it's not even remotely comparable to paying Bill Cosby's to speak.
Why? What is the benefit of sitting in silence while horrible people are given the air of legitimacy and respect?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 03:36 PM   #1236
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

https://aset.ab.ca/pdfs/Become-a-Mem...of-Ethics.aspx

I lost count at how many he is in direct conflict with. But I get it, it's only applicable to members, not keynote speakers. The ol' he has something good to offer so we'll overlook those pesky ethics.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 03-27-2024 at 03:40 PM.
BlackArcher101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:44 PM   #1237
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Why? What is the benefit of sitting in silence while horrible people are given the air of legitimacy and respect?
How are you sitting in silence? You won't be in attendance nor are you part of the group putting it on? Is Theo actually a horrible person? He certainly has some crazy beliefs though.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:50 PM   #1238
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
How are you sitting in silence? You won't be in attendance nor are you part of the group putting it on? Is Theo actually a horrible person? He certainly has some crazy beliefs though.
Here’s the massive difference. If you are an engineering technologist in Alberta you are legally required to be an ASET member to do your job. If the association does something completely offside you can’t just say I quit. They have a very distinct mandate, protect public safety in the name of science.

There is no defence of having someone like Theo at their AGM. Either someone didn’t do their research, or didn’t care, either are bad. If he wants to throw a party and charge people a few hundred a plate to come listen to him talk he can, and the people attending can make that choice. He has chosen a path, he’s free to speak his mind on the subjects he does, but there should also be consequences for that.
Whynotnow is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 03:56 PM   #1239
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
“Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject.”
Or if you prefer the brief version...

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 04:04 PM   #1240
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The more he talks the more it seems he’s either not a very good person or is in a dangerous headspace at the moment.

I say this as someone who met Theo at an event almost 10 years and had a really good conversation about mental health initiatives with him at that time. But to me he does not appear to be that same person anymore, though I still hope (perhaps naively) that he can turn his life around.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post: