Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2022, 12:46 AM   #241
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Terrific episode!

Spoiler!
The villain is the bounty hunter Cad Bane, and he is very bad ass and shows up many times in The Clone Wars series.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:07 AM   #242
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Also, is that actually Mark Hamill doing the voice of young luke? Or just someone who sounds like him?
If you watch the video on how they did Luke for the Mandalorian finale, they mention that his voice was synthesized using a tool called Respeecher: https://www.respeecher.com/.

They have demo videos on their site so you can see what it does. It looks like you can feed a bunch of existing audio from the voice you want to replicate -- in this case 1970s-80s era Mark Hamill -- and it will convert the new actor's voice to sound like that voice.

They don't mention if they had Hamill record the audio to get his own vocal styles and then use the Respeecher tool to de-age it, or if they used the actor who provided the physical performance for the voice, which would match the lip-syncing better.

Presumably, they used the same process for this week's episode too.

Another interesting thing of note, the actor who played the X-wing pilot last week (the one who wasn't Mr. Kim from Kim's Convenience) is the actor who played Luke's body-double in the Mandalorian episode -- and presumably this episode too.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:01 AM   #243
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
The villain is the bounty hunter Cad Bane, and he is very bad ass and shows up many times in The Clone Wars series.
Cad Bane was one of the best parts of the episode in my opinion. He came across as very threatening, as he should be.

He should be in his 70s by now. Now many Star Wars characters can survive from before the Clone Wars to after the Empire era. Yet somehow Bane has managed.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:19 AM   #244
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

sometimes I feel like they lean into the spaghetti western aesthetic a little too hard, like when they were having the showdown at the OK Corral/Freetown and folks were shutting their windows it almost crossed over from homage to parody. but it's still far more watchable than whatever the hell style they're going for with Star Trek tv shows these days.

I understand why the Pykes took out the sheriff, but what the hell was the point of terrorist bombing everyone's favorite speakeasy? that's only going to piss off the natives and make occupation more difficult, unless somehow the plan is to pin it on Boba.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:51 AM   #245
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I understand why the Pykes took out the sheriff, but what the hell was the point of terrorist bombing everyone's favorite speakeasy? that's only going to piss off the natives and make occupation more difficult, unless somehow the plan is to pin it on Boba.
To create fear.

That's how you run an illegal empire, you make the population sacred of you.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:38 AM   #246
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Luke’s a bad Jedi. Don’t want to create emotion through attachment but present a child with a singular choice to potentially live with regret his entire life. When he could just give him his gift from his friend and continue on as normal. The same regret his father his left with when leaving his mother. Like…learn much?

Make sense he would try to murder his nephew and create a super villain.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:54 AM   #247
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Luke saw that Grogu is already emotionally compromised by attachment, a thing that didn't work out too well for his own father. he remarked during training that it didn't feel like Grogu's heart was really in it, so he's probably worried that one day Mando will get kidnapped and tortured by some gang and Grogu will find out and go on a bloody rampage.

I don't remember Luke saying he'd be kicked out of Jedi school forever if he choose the chainmail. it's just a nice convenient sabbatical so that Grogu doesn't get squished by angry teenage Kylo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2022, 09:57 AM   #248
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I was just coming to post that part about them hiring the deepfaker. I love stuff like this, when people can put egos aside for progress. Some youtuber shows up your studio so what do you do, you hire him. lol. Awesome.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:08 AM   #249
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Luke saw that Grogu is already emotionally compromised by attachment, a thing that didn't work out too well for his own father. he remarked during training that it didn't feel like Grogu's heart was really in it, so he's probably worried that one day Mando will get kidnapped and tortured by some gang and Grogu will find out and go on a bloody rampage.

I don't remember Luke saying he'd be kicked out of Jedi school forever if he choose the chainmail. it's just a nice convenient sabbatical so that Grogu doesn't get squished by angry teenage Kylo.
But does keeping something from him quash that attachment or make it fester? Wouldn’t have bringing Anakins mother along, allowing his love for Padme to be known and flourish, possibly prevent Vader? I would argue give big him both would help him resolve his attachment to Mando better.

It’s actually Lukes love for his father that stops him from killing him, and Anakins love for Luke that pulls him back from the dark.

How Luke wouldn’t have looked to take a whole new approach right away is weird to me.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:22 AM   #250
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
But does keeping something from him quash that attachment or make it fester? Wouldn’t have bringing Anakins mother along, allowing his love for Padme to be known and flourish, possibly prevent Vader? I would argue give big him both would help him resolve his attachment to Mando better.

It’s actually Lukes love for his father that stops him from killing him, and Anakins love for Luke that pulls him back from the dark.

How Luke wouldn’t have looked to take a whole new approach right away is weird to me.
yea Qui Gon and the council were kind of asking for trouble when they decided not only to separate an older boy from his mom, but also leave her as a slave on a dangerous wild west planet. maybe regular younglings just have weaker attachment to their parents and also aren't powerful enough to foresee bad things happening to them from the other side of the galaxy.

in a lame appeal to authority, I will point out that Ahsoka didn't want Mando and Grogu to reconnect either, and she was there firsthand to experience what Anakin went through.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #251
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be honest I didn't really enjoy the Luke portions of the show. I found them slow, like how many scene of Baby Yoda jumping around are needed.

I get it I'm not a Star Wars guy beyond watching them.

The scenes with the Marshall et all were very enjoyable

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2022, 12:23 PM   #252
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post

I loved that it was done this way because it feeds into the Sequel Trilogy. Luke redeemed Anakin, but I don't think he has the grasp on the whole situation of how attachment is what brought Vader into being. He is focused on being a "Jedi" without stopping to consider not only the Vader attachment, but even his attachment to his friends and ultimately the trip to Bespin was the right action but against the Jedi way.

I feel he gains that insight with Kylo, and his understanding of the damage of attachment (or lack thereof) is part of the reason he feels the Jedi should ultimately die. He flees the galaxy because he understands his strict adherence to a hooky religion was what lead to his downfall. This Luke is still young and very much naïve, while bearded Luke has seen some #### man.

I know a lot of people hate the sequels and would want them just developed out of existence by Filoni and Favreau but I appreciated that they are giving us the optomistic Luke we remember, but also how his attempt to follow the way of the Jedi leads to the rise of Kylo and his realization that the Jedi way may not be perfect.. I just wish Yoda hadn't waited 25 years to tell him they are just books.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).

Last edited by belsarius; 02-03-2022 at 12:45 PM.
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #253
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yea Qui Gon and the council were kind of asking for trouble when they decided not only to separate an older boy from his mom, but also leave her as a slave on a dangerous wild west planet. maybe regular younglings just have weaker attachment to their parents and also aren't powerful enough to foresee bad things happening to them from the other side of the galaxy.

in a lame appeal to authority, I will point out that Ahsoka didn't want Mando and Grogu to reconnect either, and she was there firsthand to experience what Anakin went through.
Yeah I find it weird that Ashoka has become such a traditional Jedi. You’d think watching all of what Maul predicted actually happen would leave her even more disillusioned than she already was.

And I agree it plays well into the trilogy. Luke is an undertrained Jedi. Why haven’t the force ghosts been more reflective on their errors?
Old 02-03-2022, 10:33 PM   #254
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Well that was nuts. It's like the writers realized halfway through the season that the show sucked so they just went full fan service with a side of space western. I'm fully hooked on this series now even though the title character is by far the worst part of it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:58 PM   #255
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Oh and if Disney is intent on keeping the new trilogy canon and is using the + series to just help bridge the gap, then my wild prediction is that at the end of the Mandalorian we'll see a silhouetted figure landing a ship on a remote planet to discover an adolescent Grogu, then the camera pans to the face and it's Rey
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:29 AM   #256
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
sometimes I feel like they lean into the spaghetti western aesthetic a little too hard, like when they were having the showdown at the OK Corral/Freetown and folks were shutting their windows it almost crossed over from homage to parody. but it's still far more watchable than whatever the hell style they're going for with Star Trek tv shows these days.

Look at the message that Bane gave after he shot the sherriff and swiss cheesed the deputy.

Let the spice flow stay out of the way and you'll be left alone.

Its the same with the Cantina bombing, plus I expect that she was a rival to the Pikes or knew to much.

You don't mess with the Pikes, you get one warning.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2022, 09:45 AM   #257
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

On the whole Jedi attachment thing, it was one of their biggest failures and a misguided attempt to control people.

The best Jedi really did have attachments. Luke was completely attached to his father. Yoda talked about people going down the dark path never coming back, yet Luke with his attachment to his father proved that wrong, and Vader was redeemed.

We saw that Ashoka had strong attachments to everyone. Anakin, Barriss, Lux. The whole Ghost crew, and she made her decisions based on her attachments. She was also willing to do what Obi-Wan couldn't do. She was willing to not give up her attachment to Anakin and become willing to kill him.

It was never about attachment that caused Anakin's fall. He made many good choices as a Jedi while still being attached. With Anakin, it was about his upbringing as a slave. The fact that the Jedi council didn't trust him and used him and slighted him at every term. It was about his personality and the fact that he was griven by greed and dreams of power and grandure. The Jedi never saw that in him or addressed him. He was a Sith long before he fell.

I mean lets be honest. The Jedi didn't understand the Sith. They saw them as monsters dominated by fear and anger and hatred and driven by attachment. But even Palpatine talked about it. Those are emotions used to draw power but a Sith needed to get by those emotions in pursuit of more noble goals, power, which would allow them to reform the galaxy for example as one of order and justice and stability. But a Sith was willing to betray attachments at the drop of the hat. Even the Rule of Two is all about attachment. But also contradictions. Loyalty in the rule of two was to be respected, but so was guile and betrayal. You had to respect your master and the master the apprentice but also be able to watch for opportunity or weakness to take his place.

To me the Jedi didn't understand the personal aspects of being a jedi. Attachment was probably not something to be avoided. But greed is. Jealousy is.

I mean and to end this is that one of the biggest failures of attachment was Obi-Wan and Anakin. Obi-Wan followed the Jedi way and left Anakin to burn in Lava. He was willing to give up his attachment. But if he had maintained his attachment he would have walked down the bank and killed the monster that Anakin had become, to end his suffering. Instead he unleashed probably millions of deaths and untold suffering on the galaxy.

The Jedi are flawed. Their flaws created the Sith, then they spent generations trying to fix that mistake only to make it far worse. Order 66 was really the best thing to happen to the galaxy if it had been completed.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:48 AM   #258
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Oh and if Disney is intent on keeping the new trilogy canon and is using the + series to just help bridge the gap, then my wild prediction is that at the end of the Mandalorian we'll see a silhouetted figure landing a ship on a remote planet to discover an adolescent Grogu, then the camera pans to the face and it's Rey

Honestly I hope not.

I would like to see that Rey is really the last jedi. centered between Darkness and Like, a new representation of a balance in the force like the Father, the Daughter and the Son. When she dies there are no more trained force users.

I hate to say I hope. But I would hope that Ashoka, Ezra, Grogu and every other Force user at the end of the second civil war is um dead.

All the Force Ghosts aren't needed anymore, and Rey spends the rest of her life balancing the force instead of meddling with it and causing the rise of a darkness to counter her uber light side.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:48 AM   #259
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
C'mon Jack, don't you know what a protection racket is? How do you think Boba and Fennec keep bringing money in given neither of them collect bounties anymore?

Boba's first visit to the speakeasy he assures Jennifer Beals's character that her business will continue under "his watchful eye": she would continue to pay Boba to "protect" the place, i.e. not let it be smashed up by others nor smash it up himself. The Pykes undermined that racket, showing in spectacular fashion to everybody in Mos Espa that paying protection money to Boba Fett is worthless. They're trying to financially cripple Boba.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2022, 10:10 AM   #260
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

But could the galaxy afford to have NO trained force users?

The force is something that isn't necessarily hereditary correct? So people will continue to be born with the ability to touch it. Over time with so many different variables such as upbringing, morals, location, environment etc.. there will be a multitude of different 'force users' and not all will be good. Isn't history just doomed to repeat itself if there isn't someone there to guide it that has learned from the mistakes?

If I was Rey I would be reforming a Jedi Council, and then making 3 movies intensely talking about the interworkings of all the politics.