Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2015, 11:44 PM   #61
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETokyo View Post
Since our our AHL team will be critical to the development of our many prospects I would appreciate hearing opinions of the Stockton coaching staff. I previously saw some comments questioning Huska. Thanks
That was probably me and I haven't changed my stance. Bluntly, Huska is not the correct guy to coach this team. He was not ready to be an AHL coach last year and I don't believe he's a correct fit for the culture we are building and expectations we have. He's more suited to the WHL. Adirondack had a number of issues last season which never saw correction (alot of it covered in this thread: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=146429). He never got control of the penalty issue, penalty kill was hot for a stretch and horrid most of the year. Huska preached to the media about discipline, but we never saw results from the players, which is his job to get. Huska also appeared to blame the "ebbs and flows" of the league, rather then work towards correction of a problem. He made alot of excuses which by January got really old. He looked to have lost the room a couple of times during the season as well. When you heard from players (which was rare) not many praised Huska or even spoke of him. They would speak of Tousi or Gillies or player leaders in the room and never the coach. By comparison, most at least had something to say about Ward, good or bad. The players didn't have the drive to play for him that they did for Ward. Again, for good or bad reasons. Sometimes hating the coach motivates you. Huska didn't seem to draw any feelings from his players.

Honestly, I'm disappointed that the Flames didn't try to get Todd Nelson when he became available. I would have liked to see a strong, successful AHL coach run our Stockton team. There are far better coaches out there, I really wish the Flames would retain one and put Huska in a position more at his level. Perhaps leaving him in Adirondack to coach the ECHL and get more experience. We need a more engaged and experienced coach for Stockton and the AHL team then Huska. We need a guy who can help these prospects to the next level and ensure our development system is one of the best in the AHL. Huska is not that guy.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #62
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
That was probably me and I haven't changed my stance. Bluntly, Huska is not the correct guy to coach this team. He was not ready to be an AHL coach last year and I don't believe he's a correct fit for the culture we are building and expectations we have. He's more suited to the WHL. Adirondack had a number of issues last season which never saw correction (alot of it covered in this thread: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=146429). He never got control of the penalty issue, penalty kill was hot for a stretch and horrid most of the year. Huska preached to the media about discipline, but we never saw results from the players, which is his job to get. Huska also appeared to blame the "ebbs and flows" of the league, rather then work towards correction of a problem. He made alot of excuses which by January got really old. He looked to have lost the room a couple of times during the season as well. When you heard from players (which was rare) not many praised Huska or even spoke of him. They would speak of Tousi or Gillies or player leaders in the room and never the coach. By comparison, most at least had something to say about Ward, good or bad. The players didn't have the drive to play for him that they did for Ward. Again, for good or bad reasons. Sometimes hating the coach motivates you. Huska didn't seem to draw any feelings from his players.

Honestly, I'm disappointed that the Flames didn't try to get Todd Nelson when he became available. I would have liked to see a strong, successful AHL coach run our Stockton team. There are far better coaches out there, I really wish the Flames would retain one and put Huska in a position more at his level. Perhaps leaving him in Adirondack to coach the ECHL and get more experience. We need a more engaged and experienced coach for Stockton and the AHL team then Huska. We need a guy who can help these prospects to the next level and ensure our development system is one of the best in the AHL. Huska is not that guy.
Thanks for the analysis. It can be hard to pick up signs of poor coaching, especially at the AHL level. So do you think that Huska will not improve as he gains experience? The fact the he uses excuses and lacks leadership seems to indicate that he has personal flaws which will prevent improvement/success.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #63
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Huska's defense, he was hired because he has a very even keel approach - never too high nor too low. The AHL is a developmental league and that does extend to coaches too.

I'm not that high on the guy either though. Like Drury mentioned, the lack of discipline all season is what bothers me. It'ss one thing to lose games because of 5vs5 play, it's another to lose it because half of the game was spent PKing (poorly).

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #64
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't disagree with the above comments.

But I also believe in the saying: show me a good goalie and I'll show you a good coach.

While Ortio was tearing it up, things were good. Otherwise, no.

Willing to give him one more year to see how it plays out.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #65
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Thanks for the analysis. It can be hard to pick up signs of poor coaching, especially at the AHL level. So do you think that Huska will not improve as he gains experience? The fact the he uses excuses and lacks leadership seems to indicate that he has personal flaws which will prevent improvement/success.
He may improve, there is always that possibility. The Calgary Flames brought him and his staff up after the season ended to shadow Hartley, so I think that the parent club noticed some issues too and trying to offer him some help.

I think though, based on what I've seen, this is his style of coaching and it's not a fit for what we need to develop prospects. It works okay for kids and at the CHL level, but it doesn't work for AHL level prospects who you need to lean into them a little more and correct the mistakes with a little more urgency then kids at the CHL level. When maybe 60% of the kids on a CHL will probably not move onto a higher level of hockey, you don't correct mistakes the same way. With the Flames having a number of quality picks in recent years and some stronger prospects, I think we need to ensure our AHL system has a coach that is developing them correctly and maybe not learning with the kids. I'm a believer in everyone needs to start somewhere to learn, but I'm not sure being head coach of an AHL team with no experience and a really strong crop of prospects to work with is the smart way to do it. ECHL Coach, maybe even assistant AHL coach for a few years while we put someone who has the experience and ability to teach Huska the correct way to coach in the AHL is the way to go.

Quote:
I don't disagree with the above comments.

But I also believe in the saying: show me a good goalie and I'll show you a good coach.

While Ortio was tearing it up, things were good. Otherwise, no.

Willing to give him one more year to see how it plays out.
It was obvious Huska was riding his goalies to get any success. He called out Ortio to step up and play and carry the team right before his injury. That comment did sit well with me. The rest of his team is playing like crap and he can't get them to respond so he calls out Ortio to hold them up. Weak move. And then when Ortio went down, he moved right on the Thiessen to do the same thing. While not getting any of his forwards or defence to respond in the same manner. It was that sequence of events that really made me question him.

I don't think he needs a year. I think we give him until December/January and if the same issues and excuses that plagued the last season are still showing, we remove him from the position and find someone who has the experience to take over.

We cannot have a weak coach leading our prospects. We just can't. We need someone to do what Hartley is doing with the Flames and someone who can properly develop prospects. I didn't see any prospect development from Huska last season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #66
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We cannot have a weak coach leading our prospects. We just can't. We need someone to do what Hartley is doing with the Flames and someone who can properly develop prospects. I didn't see any prospect development from Huska last season.
This could be a reason that Dominic Pittis has joined him as an assistant this year. He's been learning in Calgary under Hartley & Co. and knows exactly what is expected in Calgary. I think Pittis is the heir apparent in Stockton and will be head coach as early as next season.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #67
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sold on Pittis either. He's been a skills and conditioning coach for I think 2 or 3 years in various capacities but never an actual coach. I'm not sure he's the help we need in Stockton either.

Like I said before, I would love to get some experienced and successful guy like Todd Nelson in this role. Someone who is a little more confident and a little more proven. Especially the quality of prospects we have. Gord Dineen was out there to up until a day or two ago. He would have been a great coach for the Heat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #68
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I completely agree with everything Drury is saying, but if the Flames truly are grooming Huska for a future in the NHL, making him an assistant to an experienced AHL head coach would be the prudent move.

I too saw him leaning on his goaltenders, not correcting the PK or PP during dry spells and blaming it on the "ebbs and flows," publicly saying so-and-so needs to step up (he did this with Wolf a couple of times, and he's a rookie so how much can you expect from him?), plus he just doesn't seem to have that personality to demand the most out of his players.

My point on his personality doesn't have the greatest evidence - just an assumption based on observation and deduction.

Again, I'm willing to give Huska the benefit of the doubt being that he was green, but I'd still like to see him shadow areal, experienced AHL coach.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #69
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
He may improve, there is always that possibility. The Calgary Flames brought him and his staff up after the season ended to shadow Hartley, so I think that the parent club noticed some issues too and trying to offer him some help.

I think though, based on what I've seen, this is his style of coaching and it's not a fit for what we need to develop prospects. It works okay for kids and at the CHL level, but it doesn't work for AHL level prospects who you need to lean into them a little more and correct the mistakes with a little more urgency then kids at the CHL level. When maybe 60% of the kids on a CHL will probably not move onto a higher level of hockey, you don't correct mistakes the same way. With the Flames having a number of quality picks in recent years and some stronger prospects, I think we need to ensure our AHL system has a coach that is developing them correctly and maybe not learning with the kids. I'm a believer in everyone needs to start somewhere to learn, but I'm not sure being head coach of an AHL team with no experience and a really strong crop of prospects to work with is the smart way to do it. ECHL Coach, maybe even assistant AHL coach for a few years while we put someone who has the experience and ability to teach Huska the correct way to coach in the AHL is the way to go.

It was obvious Huska was riding his goalies to get any success. He called out Ortio to step up and play and carry the team right before his injury. That comment did sit well with me. The rest of his team is playing like crap and he can't get them to respond so he calls out Ortio to hold them up. Weak move. And then when Ortio went down, he moved right on the Thiessen to do the same thing. While not getting any of his forwards or defence to respond in the same manner. It was that sequence of events that really made me question him.

I don't think he needs a year. I think we give him until December/January and if the same issues and excuses that plagued the last season are still showing, we remove him from the position and find someone who has the experience to take over.

In the salary cap era we can't afford to have holes in our development/player pipeline system.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #70
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the Hathaway interview he gives credit to Huska for teaching him how to adapt to the AHL and how well his tips worked for him. We need to remember that teaching is probably his main focus as our minor league coach. It hurts for us fans of our AHL team that it isn't made to win at all costs but that's the way it is.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #71
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
In the Hathaway interview he gives credit to Huska for teaching him how to adapt to the AHL and how well his tips worked for him. We need to remember that teaching is probably his main focus as our minor league coach. It hurts for us fans of our AHL team that it isn't made to win at all costs but that's the way it is.
Well if NONE of the players give credit to the coach that would be truly worrisome.

I don't think anybody is saying he's terrible, only that we could do better.

I can mostly comment on the AHL coach based on how guys improve down there and how ready they look when they visit NHL. It's a highly imperfect method, but I do share the feeling that Ward did more with less.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #72
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Playoff format and regular season games announced:

http://theahl.com/board-governors-ap...-15-16-p198633

Quote:
Playing Schedule/Standings
The 2015-16 regular season will consist of 1,120 games, played between Oct. 9 and Apr. 17. All teams will play 76 games each with the exception of the clubs which joined the AHL in January as part of the creation of a Pacific Division (Bakersfield, Ontario, San Diego, San Jose, Stockton); those five teams will play 68 games each.

Teams will receive two points for a win and one point for an overtime or shootout loss. The top four teams in each division ranked by points percentage (points earned divided by points available) will qualify for the 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs, with one exception in each conference: if the fifth-place team in the Atlantic or Central Division finishes with a better points percentage than the fourth-place team in the North or Pacific Division, it would cross over and compete in the other division’s bracket.

• The 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs will feature a divisional playoff format, leading to conference finals and ultimately the Calder Cup Finals.

• The division semifinals are best-of-five series; all subsequent rounds are best-of-seven.

Rule 85 (“Overtime”)
• During the regular season, the sudden-death overtime period will be five minutes (5:00) in length.

• Full playing strength will be 3-on-3 (plus goaltenders) for the entire period.

• Overtime will be preceded by a “dry scrape” of the entire ice surface.

• Teams will change ends at the start of overtime.

• If the game is still tied following overtime, a winner will be determined by a three-player shootout.

Rule 79 (“Video Review”)
• A team may use a “coach’s challenge” to initiate an official video review; only those situations which are subject to review by rule may be challenged.

• A team may only request a coach’s challenge if it has its timeout available, and the coach’s challenge must be effectively initiated prior to the resumption of play.

• If the coach’s challenge does not result in the original call on the ice being overturned, the team exercising such challenge will be charged with a timeout.

Rule 76.4 (“Face-offs”)
• For all face-offs (excluding center ice), the defending player shall place his stick on the ice first; for face-offs at center ice, the visiting player shall place his stick on the ice first.

In operation since 1936, the AHL continues to serve as the top development league for all 30 National Hockey League teams. More than 88 percent of today’s NHL players are American Hockey League graduates, and for the 14th year in a row, more than 6 million fans attended AHL games across North America in 2014-15.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #73
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can someone explain why the Pacific division will only play 68 games?
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #74
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Less travel.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
FFR
Old 07-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #75
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR View Post
Less travel and their parent clubs want to eliminate 3 games in 3 nights that are common in the AHL. They argue that less games is better for development.

The other AHL teams are mostly run by 3rd parties that still want the cash flow of more games.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-12-2015 at 11:08 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #76
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR View Post
As Sureloss notes, the Pacific teams want less travel and less playing to allow for more practice time. Most of the other teams want more games for more revenue, but I suspect that we'll see the entire AHL schedule reduce in games over time as more NHL teams take control of their affiliates.

As far as the game disparity goes, I hope nobody on a California team has any bonus clauses for winning a scoring title.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #77
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Renovations are under way in Stockton for larger gym, more coaching offices and a larger dressing room:

http://www.recordnet.com/article/201...ORTS/150719859
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #78
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I survived
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #79
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Perhaps Gillies' backup:

Sounds like he signed an AHL deal

Stockton Heat @AHLHeat
UPDATE: Former #StocktonThunder goalie Kent Simpson (@simps32) will be playing for the #Heat this season!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #80
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like the Heat signed 3 players to AHL deals today:

http://stocktonheat.com/news/heat-si...-to-ahl-deals/

C Mitchell Heard
D Dustin Stevenson
G Kent Simpson

Looking into Simpson's ECHL stats, wonder if he is more a 3rd stringer for Stockton rather than Gillies backup.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-15-2015 at 05:16 PM.