Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 11:50 PM   #2321
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guy who won't even pay child support for his own spawn . . .

Old 05-04-2017, 11:52 PM   #2322
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Gotta give Trump Trump credit, he's a great salesman. Or conman.

And I'm being serious. He tapped into a percentage of Americans that just want to believe him, and will, no matter what the facts or consequences. It's incredible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 11:55 PM   #2323
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Bleed out?

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/30/521779...e-with-support

Some of President Trump's proposed spending cuts would cripple programs that benefit communities full of his rural supporters, but at least in Strong City, Kan., some say they are ready "to bleed a little bit."

But for all the anger and anxiety over possible budget cuts in policy circles, in Strong City, quite a few people actually embrace those cuts.

"They've got to make cuts somewhere. Somebody's going to get cut, somebody's going to bleed a little bit. That's just a fact of life, but to get things back into balance," says Jim Fritch, who works at Clark's Farm and Home Store.

Jim Fink runs the store, and he agrees. Both Fritch and Fink voted for Trump.

"If you ask me would I rather see the money go for our water plant, or to possibly try to control our borders and the security of our nation, the security of our nation is more important to me," Fink says.
One day people will realize that the sacrifices they are making aren't for the public good but for the shareholders in elite corporations. When that day comes
It's going to be ugly...like 1917 Russia ugly

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
The Following User Says Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 11:59 PM   #2324
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"If you ask me would I rather see the money go for our water plant, or to possibly try to control our borders and the security of our nation, the security of our nation is more important to me," Fink says.[/I]
They have to intentionally look for the dumbest hillbilly who comes from consecutive generations of inbreeding, FASD, neurosyphilis, and head trauma to find such an idiotic statement. How that man did up the velcro on his sneakers to make his way to a polling station is beyond me.

Who doesn't value not having cholera or enterohemorrhagic e-coli in their water supply?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 01:20 AM   #2325
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guy lives in a town of fewer than 500 people in the middle of Kansas and terrorism is a bigger concern for him than his own health care.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:22 AM   #2326
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Been watching the Handmaiden's tale, which I'm sure most of you are familiar with, story wise.

I can only imagine that there is a serious segment of the Christian right that would watch this TV series and think its not only not a distopian future, its what a Godly America should be.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #2327
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

"They've got to make cuts somewhere. Somebody's going to get cut, somebody's going to bleed a little bit. That's just a fact of life, but to get things back into balance," says Jim Fritch, who works at Clark's Farm and Home Store.

Jim Fink runs the store, and he agrees. Both Fritch and Fink voted for Trump.

"If you ask me would I rather see the money go for our water plant, or to possibly try to control our borders and the security of our nation, the security of our nation is more important to me," Fink says.[/I]
These Trump voters are just not that bright. So not bright, they don't mind bleeding out a bit, so the rich can get richer.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:17 AM   #2328
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Gotta give Trump Trump credit, he's a great salesman. Or conman.

And I'm being serious. He tapped into a percentage of Americans that just want to believe him, and will, no matter what the facts or consequences. It's incredible.
Some people just aren't that bright.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:31 AM   #2329
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 06:52 AM   #2330
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

ACLU STATEMENT ON SO-CALLED ‘RELIGIOUS FREEDOM’ EXECUTIVE ORDER

Quote:
NEW YORK — After careful review of the executive order covering the Johnson Amendment signed by President Trump today, the American Civil Liberties Union has determined not to file a lawsuit at this time.

“Today’s executive order signing was an elaborate photo-op with no discernible policy outcome. After careful review of the order’s text we have determined that the order does not meaningfully alter the ability of religious institutions or individuals to intervene in the political process. The order portends but does not yet do harm to the provision of reproductive health services.

“President Trump’s prior assertion that he wished to ‘totally destroy’ the Johnson Amendment with this order has proven to be a textbook case of ‘fake news.’

“The directive to federal agencies to explore religious-based exceptions to healthcare does cue up a potential future battle, but as of now, the status quo has not changed.

“What President Trump did today was merely provide a faux sop to religious conservatives and kick the can down the road on religious exemptions on reproductive health care services.
https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-state...xecutive-order
Old 05-05-2017, 07:03 AM   #2331
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coming soon: The NRA coming out against a GOP bill loosening gun regulations

Quote:
It is a rare unifying moment. Hospitals, doctors, health insurers and some consumer groups, with few exceptions, are speaking with one voice and urging significant changes to the Republican health care legislation that passed the House on Thursday.

The bill’s impact is wide-ranging, potentially affecting not only the millions who could lose coverage through deep cuts in Medicaid or no longer be able to afford to buy coverage in the state marketplaces. With states allowed to seek waivers from providing certain benefits, employers big and small could scale back what they pay for each year or reimpose lifetime limits on coverage. In particular, small businesses, some of which were strongly opposed to the Affordable Care Act, could be free to drop coverage with no penalty.

The prospect of millions of people unable to afford coverage led to an outcry from the health care industry as well as consumer groups. They found an uncommon ally in some insurers, who rely heavily on Medicaid and Medicare as mainstays of their business and hope the Senate will be more receptive to their concerns.

“The American Health Care Act needs important improvements to better protect low- and moderate-income families who rely on Medicaid or buy their own coverage,” Marilyn B. Tavenner, the chief executive of America’s Health Insurance Plans, the industry’s trade group, said in a strongly worded statement.

Others were even more direct about the effects the bill would have, not only on patients but also on the industry. “To me, this is not a reform,” said Michael J. Dowling, the chief executive of Northwell Health, a large health system in New York. “This is just a debacle.”

Hospitals that serve low-income patients “will just be drowning completely when this happens,” Mr. Dowling said, noting that more people would become uninsured at the same time that government payments to cover their costs were reduced.

In contrast to hospital and doctor groups, insurers had largely remained silent about their reservations, perhaps in the hopes of bartering their low profile in exchange for assurances that billions of dollars in subsidies for low-income coverage would continue. The White House and Congress have gone back and forth about their willingness to pay for the subsidies, prompting anxiety among some companies. Several, including Anthem, have threatened to sharply raise their prices or leave markets altogether without the funding.

But a few, including Blue Shield of California, came out in opposition to the bill before the vote. “We feel compelled to oppose it,” said Paul Markovich, the company’s chief executive. “It raises the specter that the sickest and neediest among us will be disproportionately hit in losing access.”

After the House passed the bill on Thursday, the industry’s two major trade groups urged lawmakers to increase the tax credits available to help people pay for coverage, and to adjust them to assist those who are older, live in high-cost areas or have lower incomes.

But the overriding concern — for insurers, many workers and officials throughout the health care systems in many states — is the broad reductions proposed for Medicaid. Even for insurers that have largely abandoned the individual market, like UnitedHealth Group and Aetna, a substantial portion of their business is providing coverage under Medicaid. The same is true for many local nonprofit plans, said Ceci Connolly, the chief executive of the Alliance of Community Health Plans.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/04/h...imes&smtyp=cur
Old 05-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #2332
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rubicant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 07:58 AM   #2333
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if owning a gun is a pre-existing condition. From an Actuary point of view it would increase your risk of harm.

Last edited by GGG; 05-05-2017 at 08:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #2334
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
He's either king of trolling, or as lacking in awareness as anyone that's ever lived

I actually don't think Trump has even read the AHCA or even had it summarized for him in a single bullet point sheet like his briefings and Paul Ryan just told him, it's just like Australias or something along those lines.

EDIT: Actually I don't think a lot of the Congressmen even read the bill themselves. I've read about at least two who didn't anyways
http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2...l-tsr-sot.cnn/

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-05-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #2335
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steven Rattner ✔ @SteveRattner
Top 10 states for pre-existing conditions all went for Trump. The GOP HC bill is terrible politics for him. My @Morning_Joe chart:
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #2336
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

$4 million dollars have been raised in 24hrs to unseat Republicans in vulnerable districts who voted for the AHCA.

Quote:
That was the credo of Democratic “resistance” activists Thursday following the narrow passage of Trumpcare in the House of Representatives despite hundreds of thousands of phone calls and angry town halls denouncing the health care bill. In less than 24 hours, Democrats raised at least $4 million for campaigns and groups challenging Republicans in the 2018 midterms, according to a VICE News analysis of various progressive groups.

ActBlue, the fundraising platform used by most progressive groups and the Democratic Party, recorded $4,223,401 donations Thursdayday from 123,145 contributors spread across 1200 different campaigns, organizations, and funds. The DNC said it had its strongest fundraising day since March, and MoveOn.org’s Washington director, Ben Wikler, told VICE News that the fundraising text message sent immediately after the vote was its most successful ever, pulling in over $40,000 and counting.

At least $2 million went directly to Democratic campaigns challenging Republicans in the House through ActBlue’s “nominee funds,” which save the money for whoever the Democratic nominee ends up being next year. DailyKos, Swing Left, and ActBlue all set up nominee fund accounts yesterday that quickly raised hundreds of thousands of dollars each. Hillary Clinton, who is expected to launch a political PAC next week, also promoted Swing Left’s efforts on Twitter:
https://news.vice.com/story/democrat...ssed-trumpcare
Old 05-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #2337
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post

Steven Rattner ✔ @SteveRattner
Top 10 states for pre-existing conditions all went for Trump. The GOP HC bill is terrible politics for him. My @Morning_Joe chart:
Are any of those states even close to being swing states? Serious question.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #2338
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
$4 million dollars have been raised in 24hrs to unseat Republicans in vulnerable districts who voted for the AHCA.
Last night I set up a donation schedule with ActBlue.

As a green card holder I can't vote, but contributing to PACs I am allowed to do. So I did.

It's one thing to understand ramifications of a proposed law and balancing that against the good it could do people in making the decision you did.

It's another to essentially throw a party after doing something that gravely affects so many people. It's callous. It's disrespectful. It sums up the GOP right now...especially the GOP in congress. We'll see how far this attitude extends when it hits the Senate. But right now I firmly believe the GOP is being eaten by a cancer from the inside and it needs to be stopped.

If I'm going to be governed from the fringes I want it to be from the left and not the right. I's prefer the grown ups in the room governed from the center but the GOP has shown that they have few grown ups in Congress. Let's see if McCain and company can do more than actually just talk tough.

Last edited by ernie; 05-05-2017 at 09:02 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #2339
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I actually don't think Trump has even read the AHCA or even had it summarized for him in a single bullet point sheet like his briefings and Paul Ryan just told him, it's just like Australias or something along those lines.

EDIT: Actually I don't think a lot of the Congressmen even read the bill themselves. I've read about at least two who didn't anyways
Most didn't, but in Trumps case, he hasn't read or understood it, big difference. He just know it's the best. I don't really think he understands much of what he does or signs. He's just undoing Obama as best he can.

Here's Obamas address to a joint session of Congress on Sept. 9, 2009 about why ACA makes sense.

Does anyone here think Trump could present something 1% as credible?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcri...h-care-speech/
Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #2340
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Are any of those states even close to being swing states? Serious question.
No and I think it's a bit of a silly chart other than to express dismay over these people shooting themselves in the foot. It's been known for decades that people in those states will vote against their best interests because they are republicans through and through. So it won't affect him in those states to the point of losing them.

However, the concern for them should be in the actual swing states given how narrow the vote margins were. People may not flip votes and vote democrat next time but it doesn't take much to have them decide to stay at home.

I think the most interesting thing that can come out of this is who in the DNC is going to step up and become the face of the party. Who is going to grab that bunch kicking and screaming to the forefront. Thus far we've had glimpses of it from Schumer and Franken. Who is the next star that can electrify the populace?

Still upset Biden didn't run and that Bernie didn't win the nomination.

Last edited by ernie; 05-05-2017 at 09:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms