Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #1581
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely looks like they shorted the runway. Looks like the cabin was intact, hopefully everyone got out before the fire gutted it.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #1582
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be the first fatal crash of a 777. Could have been much worse.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #1583
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well those screen grabs sure tell a story.

Possibly ended up low and went for the go around to late causing the tail to strike the sea wall?
Old 07-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #1584
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Well those screen grabs sure tell a story.

Possibly ended up low and went for the go around to late causing the tail to strike the sea wall?
That's what I'm thinking.

For anyone with friends who may have been travelling, the WestJet flight diverted down to LAX, and the SkyWest flight got to about Great Falls, turned around and came back. The late flight will probably cancel.

Air Canada from Toronto diverted to Sacramento.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #1585
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yikes!

Old 07-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #1586
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Live Feed from a San Francisco channel
http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/ktvu...vtSfR/?updated

Old 07-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #1587
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This photo has popped up on twitter of the accident in the distance.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #1588
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

amazing how fast news comes in these days.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #1589
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Cleared to land @ around 7 minutes left.
Crash @ around 5:45 left.

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ks...2013-1800Z.mp3
Old 07-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #1590
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why don't 28L and R have like 1,000 more feet of displaced threshold? No real need to cut it that close. That'd still be 10,000+ feet to land, and give the added benefit of getting landers through the intersection quicker so they can better shoot gaps with departures off 1L and R.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #1591
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To: 2013-08-22 23:59 UTC
ILS RWY 28L GP U/S
No ILS for 28L at SFO.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #1592
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

60 people unaccounted for according to CBC.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #1593
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
No ILS for 28L at SFO.
Shouldn't end up having a huge amount of relevance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
60 people unaccounted for according to CBC.
Thankfully, just one now... might end up being as few as 2 dead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 AM   #1594
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Shouldn't end up having a huge amount of relevance.
No, it means that they weren't doing an ILS approach but a RNAV or visual approach to 28L. Which means non-precision. I am not going to specluate what caused the crash, but an ILS U/S(out of service) can play a role. It has before.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #1595
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

From the other thread about 777 in San Fran - can an aviation-geek explain to me how pilots land in dense fog?

Reason I ask is because I was a on a plane full of angry people trying to land in London, ON recently. It was very foggy and after circling London for about 40 minutes we were diverted to Toronto. Folks on the plane were grumbling that it was just as foggy in Toronto and didn't understand why we couldn't have just landed.

I figured it had something to do with the length of the runway. Surely, the pilot has to be able to see the ground at some point? With a short runway, he'd have no margin for error. With a longer runway, does he have more opportunity to correct, or the option to pull up and try again?

I've also missed landings in Kelowna for fogginess and had to wait it out in Vancouver or Calgary. I've always assumed this was because of the short runway - but would love for folks in the know to chime in and tell me what's really at play.

Last edited by annasuave; 07-07-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #1596
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post
From the other thread about 777 in San Fran - can an aviation-geek explain to me how pilots land in dense fog?
OK, I'm most definitely not an expert, but I think that an ILS approach (Instrument Landing System) involves the plane receiving two radio signals for a runway. One helps the pilot ensure the plane is on the correct trajectory vertically, and the other horizontally.

The landings you missed due to dense fog was possibly because London,ON/Kelowna may not be ILS equipped??? Or the beacons might not have been working.

Can someone more experienced chime in? Am I on the right track...or have I created more of a fog?

Last edited by Kipper is King; 07-07-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #1597
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post

Reason I ask is because I was a on a plane full of angry people trying to land in London, ON recently. It was very foggy and after circling London for about 40 minutes we were diverted to Toronto. Folks on the plane were grumbling that it was just as foggy in Toronto and didn't understand why we couldn't have just landed.

I figured it had something to do with the length of the runway. Surely, the pilot has to be able to see the ground at some point? With a short runway, he'd have no margin for error. With a longer runway, does he have more opportunity to correct, or the option to pull up and try again?

I've also missed landings in Kelowna for fogginess and had to wait it out in Vancouver or Calgary. I've always assumed this was because of the short runway - but would love for folks in the know to chime in and tell me what's really at play.
I would think that it has less to do with the runway length, but rather the ILS (Instrument Landing System) categories that London and Kelowna runways have.

Toronto and Vancouver (and likely all major airports in the world) will have a higher category ILS, which allows landing in some fairly adverse conditions.

I'm sure pilots on here will be able to give a more proper answer though.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #1598
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That is basically correct. And while London has an ils on one runway, they have a different type of approach on the other runways, so depending on the winds it is possible the ils wouldn't be able to be used. And as mentioned, there are different categories of ils which allow the aircraft to get lower to the ground and gain contact with the runway in lower visibility. Toronto has those higher categories of ils.

Also, maybe the fog wasn't as dense....it wouldn't be easy to discern the difference between 1600 feet of visibility and 1000, or to tell if the cloud ceiling was 200' or 100'.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #1599
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also, the absence of the ils is likely a contributing factor in the SFO accident. It shouldn't have caused a problem, but it appears it may well have been contributing.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #1600
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
No, it means that they weren't doing an ILS approach but a RNAV or visual approach to 28L. Which means non-precision. I am not going to specluate what caused the crash, but an ILS U/S(out of service) can play a role. It has before.
Yeah it's non-precision but in perfectly clear weather they should be able to land the airplane visually with no problems.

Mech failure notwithstanding, under no circumstance will the probable cause of the accident in the final NTSB report be stated as "the probable cause of this accident was the unavailability of the instrumental landing system..."
Closed Thread

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters