Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:
Icon24 So, Scott Darling is an awesome guy........

An Uber driver tells a story about someone he picked up. And who just happened to play in the NHL. What a great gesture by Darling.

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.asp...rson&id=572334
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

We could have stories like this but our cabs can't get Bouma to practice on time. Now he's getting traded.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not to try and take anything away from what looks like an amazing act of generosity, but doesn't this sound like a story from a "friend of a friend of mine"?
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #4
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Not to try and take anything away from what looks like an amazing act of generosity, but doesn't this sound like a story from a "friend of a friend of mine"?
Not sure what point you are trying to make? Doubting its accuracy? Why would the Uber driver lie, about such a random player as well? I mean, ok if it was Ovi or Crosby etc, but why Scott Darling? Unless the Uber driver was his dad, brother or agent, I don't see why he'd make this up.
JJ1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
No.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Unless you're Bono, you usually don't flaunt your charity and good spirit around. Most of the charitable tales out there don't come from the person themselves, but from people like this Uber driver who witnessed the act.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #7
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #8
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
Unless you're Bono, you usually don't flaunt your charity and good spirit around. Most of the charitable tales out there don't come from the person themselves, but from people like this Uber driver who witnessed the act.
Fair enough. Its just the lineage of the story tellers.

TSN reports it from a BHL goalie twitter account, who heard a story from an Uber driver, who received the story while taking a fare. Assuming human memory is 100% (ignoring all scientific research on testimony), here's the story we have to believe:

1) "I knew nothing about hockey until Scott Darling arrived"

2) "Scott just happened to see him on the street and strike up a conversation". "He paid this hotel for a month and even bought him some groceries"

So I have to believe that the Uber driver has been living under a rock (1), even though a Google search made him aware of an entire sport, and now Scott Darling spent thousands of dollars after only meeting a guy on the street (2) and is taking him to a hotel in a Uber ride?

Isn't it possible the Uber driver saw Kane Van Gate's goalie equipment and fabricated a story to get a tip? Or that Kane Van Gate is fueling his twitter account? Or that some other events took place involving Scott Darling and his friend that he actually knew, not some random guy?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:29 PM   #9
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Just because how much negative news there is - how about we just collectively agree to believe this is true - because it makes us feel good?
Or we could fight about whether it is true because...well I don't know why we would do that.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 10:33 PM   #10
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

TSN reports it from a BHL goalie twitter account, who heard a story from an Uber driver, who received the story while taking a fare. Assuming human memory is 100% (ignoring all scientific research on testimony), here's the story we have to believe:

2) "Scott just happened to see him on the street and strike up a conversation". "He paid this hotel for a month and even bought him some groceries"

So I have to believe that the Uber driver has been living under a rock (1), even though a Google search made him aware of an entire sport, and now Scott Darling spent thousands of dollars after only meeting a guy on the street (2) and is taking him to a hotel in a Uber ride?

Isn't it possible the Uber driver saw Kane Van Gate's goalie equipment and fabricated a story to get a tip? Or that Kane Van Gate is fueling his twitter account? Or that some other events took place involving Scott Darling and his friend that he actually knew, not some random guy?
Here's what's more likely.

Scott darling tells his equally rich friend to dress like a homeless guy.

Then they call über and make a point of talking really really loudly about how he's covering all these costs.

Scott darling, on his way out says, now don't go googling me now (so the guy will google him)

Then. He tells Kane to take the same uber. Get the story and tweet about it.

Win. Win. Win.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:57 PM   #11
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Just because how much negative news there is - how about we just collectively agree to believe this is true - because it makes us feel good?
Or we could fight about whether it is true because...well I don't know why we would do that.
Collectively believing something because it feels good is not always a good thing. Also, if the negative news deserve scrutiny of its validity, then logically so does the good news.

What's funny is that I asked a perfectly valid question and received some mixed responses - some of which were disparagingly sarcastic - and I'm suppose to blindly believe in the best of people?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:01 PM   #12
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

In this case there is literally no downside to believing this story. Anyways I don't want to side track the thread further because it's an idiotic thing to argue about.
But to answer your question: yes sometimes it is ok to believe in the best of people
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:09 PM   #13
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can't believe someone decided THIS was the story to question everything on the Internet.

Just stop.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:10 AM   #14
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Scott Darling confirmed the story on twitter:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...of-generosity/
http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/c...ad-trip-020816
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #15
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a darling
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #16
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The driver was part of the story, it wasn't told to him.

Quote:
So I have to believe that the Uber driver has been living under a rock (1), even though a Google search made him aware of an entire sport,
He's a Lebanese guy living in Phoenix. Even if he probably knew about the sport of hockey, it's likely he knows so little that it's ok to say "I know nothing about hockey". I know cricket is a sport, but I know nothing about cricket.

Quote:
and now Scott Darling spent thousands of dollars after only meeting a guy on the street (2) and is taking him to a hotel in a Uber ride?
Iginla once paid for hotel, game tickets, and meals for a group of Canadians sleeping in their car in Salt Lake. Sometimes people are just generous.

Quote:
Sure, but why would you believe any of those things? It's also possible that Scott Darling isn't his real name and he is a CIA operative trying to infiltrate the NHLs PED ring.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #17
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darling is definitely the opposite of a ######bag like Kane.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #18
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Someone was on the grassy knoll.