Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Flames bring back Treliving
Yes 259 38.89%
No 17 2.55%
This is so obviously yes it shouldn't be a poll question 390 58.56%
Voters: 666. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #241
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Treliving should be fired for signing Brouwer and not using that money towards signing Okposo.

Then he should be brought back.

'Killed and then reincarnated' is the analogy. Seen it in the films many times.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #242
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Treliving should be fired for signing Brouwer and not using that money towards signing Okposo.

The thing I trust most about Treliving is that he won't make the same mistake twice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #243
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Hahaha!

Yeah, no. Lowe is in a class of his own.
He's on his own tier for sure.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #244
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same people that want him fired said

"at least 5 years before the Flames are a playoff team"

3 years ago
Old 04-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #245
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Are there any writers that cover the Flames left that have any teeth? Francis maybe but he probably realizes that crossing King would pretty well end his career covering the Flames in any manner whether it be by paper or RSN. I was told that it was King that got Rob Kerr the PBP gig so there's little doubt he has a lot of influence which is why you will never hear a 960 guy badmouth or criticize him.
From Molberg to Kerr to Steinberg, every single one of them on 960 sound like scared children when they interview Ken King. Combine this with the positive undertones every time a discussion comes up about Calgary Next and you know that these guys are in the bag for Flames ownership. It's like they know that if they misstep, they will hear about it within the hour.

It isn't surprising, 960 knows who butters their bread and they are done if the Flames ever pulled their radio broadcast rights.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #246
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The same Okposo who just had a major health scare? The prognosis does not sound good for him.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #247
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
The thing I trust most about Treliving is that he won't make the same mistake twice.
Treliving comes across as a very smart guy so I believe you're right. But he hasn't made great UFA decisions and the stopgap goalie thing would suggest he's not afraid to be wrong twice.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #248
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus.

I thought this was all just a formality, but that rumor about a meddlesome King actually has me worried now.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #249
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I hate to say it, but the comparison of King to Lowe is not that far off. The execution of CalgaryNext, the threats to leave before the playoffs and now rumours of meddling are Kevin Lowe like for sure. I noticed in the survey there is no option to fire King, but Burke and Tre are there.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #250
BigT112
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://twitter.com/jsportsnet/statu...82162257219586

John Shannon says they will talk next week.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #251
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
Been sitting on this for a while (mods can PM for source if they wish).

I've been told the only reason why a new contract hasn't been signed is that Treliving wants assurance from ownership that King will stop meddling in hockey ops decisions.

He and Burke have a good working relationship but King insists on being the final approval on deals.

The most recent example I was given:
Apparently at the deadline a deal was made for Bishop but they needed Kings approval to proceed. They were given 15 mins to finalize by Yzerman. They tried to reach King on the phone and couldn't get him within the window, so he was dealt to LA.

Take for what it's worth (not a Julius example).
If that's true then wow....
Old 04-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #252
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no doubt that the rumour of King meddling is true, seems to be his MO. What surprises me is that Burke would tolerate it. IIRC he was brought in to be president of hockey Ops and King was going to take care of the other businesses and marketing.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #253
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I really don't like Burke, but if King somehow ends up being the last man standing and both Treliving and Burke are gone, it's gonna be dark days.
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #254
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT112 View Post
https://twitter.com/jsportsnet/statu...82162257219586

John Shannon says they will talk next week.
please ownership, for the love of god, PLEASE re-sign Treliving and put a muzzle on King. You wanna make money? Well then you need a good team, so let the hockey brains run the team!!!
Old 04-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #255
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hopefully this doesn't turn into an Alex Anthopolous situation with the Blue Jays. That didn't end well.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #256
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hopefully this doesn't turn into an Alex Anthopolous situation with the Blue Jays. That didn't end well.
3-12 start isn't to your liking?
Old 04-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #257
home_sweet_dome
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's really only 2 things you need to know about the Calgary Flames:

-Ken King is still not only employed but the President and CEO
-The franchise has won 4 playoff series in 27 years

It might really be better if this ownership group relocated the team so we could get different owners who actually had a clue on how to run a team because clearly Murray Edwards and friends do not.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #258
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Ken King needs to go. No doubt any more.
Incompetence doesn't begin to describe him from what I've seen.

Didn't Burke take the hockey ops position so that King could concentrate more on the new arena? And he's done..what..exactly with all that time? So little to show for it. And agonizingly, glacially slow to come up with a feasible plan.

He sounds too positive about everything to come across as honest. Just promotes, promotes, promotes. And talks. But nothing gets done.

And yeah, it's likely he had a hand, along with the owners, in Iginla overcooking here and those sad last few attempts to fill his line with aging, overpaid guys to try and squeak into another likely first round exit.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #259
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Treliving comes across as a very smart guy so I believe you're right. But he hasn't made great UFA decisions and the stopgap goalie thing would suggest he's not afraid to be wrong twice.
People bash his UFA signings but tend to overlook Frolik who was a great pickup considering his age and abilities. Raymond and Brouwer were failures. Hiller was good year one but awful in year 2. His stop gap goaltending worked this year to get them in the playoffs and they do not have obligations to keep either goalie.

Bishop acquisition cost last summer was unknown but he wanted a 7x7 deal which was far riskier than giving up one of 3 2nd round picks on a goalie.

An example of not making the same mistake twice was letting Colborne go instead of signing him like they did with Bouma
Old 04-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #260
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
I have no doubt that the rumour of King meddling is true, seems to be his MO. What surprises me is that Burke would tolerate it. IIRC he was brought in to be president of hockey Ops and King was going to take care of the other businesses and marketing.
Yeah I feel if King was really meddling Burke would have stepped down which is why I have a hard time believing this. King is an easy target because of his past reputation and that he's not overly popular with a lot of fans. There were the Arash Madani tweets that King was trying to take credit for the Stampeders success and it was rubbing Huff the wrong way but Huff denied that and re-signed with the Stamps. We will find out in the coming days/week as if Treliving signs an extension I will assume that there was no rift with King.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-20-2017 at 05:41 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread