Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #1021
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Canadian government will spend billions on refugees(this Nenshi a hole is also happy to do this) but when it comes to something that will help the city and the economy Nenshi the a hole says no. There is something wrong here.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #1022
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
The Canadian government will spend billions in n refugees(this Nenshi a hole is also happy to do this) but when it comes to something that will help the city and the economy Nenshi the a hole says no. There is something wrong here.
Ban yourself.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #1023
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is just logic.

I listened to his interview on FAN 960 yesterday. He just said simply that if a deal cannot ever be reached for a new building then the logical conclusion is that the city does not want the Flames, which is true.

We have the oldest CFL stadium and the oldest NHL arena and NO field house.

It's time this city (and its Councillors) started to deal with reality. We need a new hockey arena, a new (not renovated) CFL stadium, and we really need to finally build a quality field house. Or we don't have sports teams anymore I guess... that's an option too.

The Flames organization is willing to do their part and does a massive amount for this city. To the best of my knowledge, no professional sports organization has ever just "built a building" without assistance.

It is time for the city to figure this out, start these projects, and (nice byproduct) get people back to work.

Also, to be clear I'm not pitching for CalgaryNEXT here. I think it's an interesting project but there are issues. I just think that these are all facilities that have to be built so some solution has to come. Soon.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!

Last edited by Nehkara; 04-01-2017 at 10:59 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #1024
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Just out of curiosity, are you part of the Flames organization? I know you're not Ken King, but it almost seems the username was chosen deliberately due to some connection to the hockey club.

Your posts often seem to contain hints that your info is, at least in part, coming from inside. Also, in any arguments/critique of the organization you seem to respond politely and tactfully but certainly in immediate defense of the Calgary Flames.

I'm asking sincerely, as I've always wondered.
I appreciate being known as polite and tactful. I do try.

I am not staff (or ownership - I wish!) but have a level of connection to the organisation where I am privy to information that I share as best I can. I would love to share more, but do have to be careful.

I hope this can remain.

I am also a huge fan since the club arrived, and personal season ticket holder.

Last edited by IamNotKenKing; 04-01-2017 at 11:06 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #1025
fotiou22
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The Flames are not God's gift to Calgary. The Flames exist because this community has supported them through thick and thin. This organization hasn't exactly iced the best product over the past 25 years. But still this community supported it.

Ownership's sense of entitlement is offensive. Could Nenshi have articulated the city's position more diplomatically? Maybe. Personally, I don't care if our mayor has hurt Ken King's feelings by speaking bluntly. I appreciate that the mayor is finally cutting through the disingenuous pile of crap that constitutes the organization's proposal to the community. It was only a matter of time before ownership played the relocation card.

There's an election coming up. It would be easy to settle this with a referendum. However, both sides know that Calgarians will never vote to raise their own taxes.

From 2015: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/the-...rena-1.3198325

I've been a Flames fan my entire life. I watch every period of every game. I love the Flames and have blown way too much money on tickets and merch. But if King escalates this tactic, I'm done with this organization.
The Following User Says Thank You to fotiou22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #1026
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Ban yourself.

Why? Why should Canadian tax payers take care of the rest of the world but not after their future and the future of their kids?
Old 04-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #1027
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, if the supposed "partner" in this "partnership" had their first move as a public release of their plan prior to consultation, I'd be pretty flippant too.

The people who are getting on Nenshi for this should really take off the homer glasses and accept that how the Flames started this process was not conducive to a legitimate partnership. They tried to play off public sentiment of a playoff series win by doing an end run direct to the tax base.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #1028
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
This is just logic.

I listened to his interview on FAN 960 yesterday. He just said simply that if a deal cannot ever be reached for a new building then the logical conclusion is that the city does not want the Flames, which is true.

We have the oldest CFL stadium and the oldest NHL arena and NO field house.

It's time this city (and its Councillors) started to deal with reality. We need a new hockey arena, a new (not renovated) CFL stadium, and we really need to finally build a quality field house. Or we don't have sports teams anymore I guess... that's an option too.

The Flames organization is willing to do their part and does a massive amount for this city. To the best of my knowledge, no professional sports organization has ever just "built a building" without assistance.

It is time for the city to figure this out, start these projects, and (nice byproduct) get people back to work.
Gillette stadium

The patriots do pretty well for themselves too, I hear
Old 04-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #1029
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Why? Why should Canadian tax payers take care of the rest of the world but not after their future and the future of their kids?
...sorry, do you really think that a ####ing hockey arena is more important than displaced refugees?

A Saddledome replacement isn't the 'future of our kids'. It's what it is: a ####ing hockey arena, that we cannot be forced to bend over backwards for.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #1030
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
No...he really isn't.
Actually he is. Objectively speaking, here are the North American markets you could consider better than Calgary for an NHL team:

Montreal
Toronto
Vancouver
New York
Chicago
Detroit

Annnnnnd it would appear those cities are all occupied. Only Toronto 2 is maybe, possibly available, assuming someone wants to pony up a couple hundred million to placate the Leafs and Sabers (nevermind the relocation fee). So unless they want to pony up big bucks to get Toronto 2, they only have worse markets out there. If you wanna say there are other markets that will give them big taxpayer handouts...well there's certainly no proof at all that there are.

So no, there are not any better markets for an NHL team. They will lose money no matter which market they move to unless they are gifted a massive taxpayer handout (and not just an arena, it'd have to be even more than that). Moving from Calgary might even spark a lawsuit from Rogers for money back on the NHL TV deal. The threat of moving is hollow, nonsensical, and not worth taking seriously.

Nevermind of course that the team has the money to build a new arena. Just not CalgaryNEXT, which by the way most people do not even want. Build the goddamn arena in Vic Park and be done with it. This childish #### will not help them.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #1031
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone not invested in the Flames, financially, should have no reason to support CalgaryNext. It's a direct investment of hundreds of millions of dollars into not one, but four for profit sports teams who as a result, will turn around and charge you more to consume their product. And by the time we as a collective community pay off their debt, they'll be clamouring for another new facility.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #1032
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
If you honestly believe these two things are comparable in scale in any way whatsoever, I feel bad for you.

And that's ignoring the fact that this thing was commissioned before he was even mayor.

Your example is awful.

edit: sorry, he was mayor, but still doesn't like it, example still awful
It's a question if philosophy.

When it comes to questioning funding for arts Nenshi condescending dismisses us as "short sighted".

But when it comes to projects that will enhance the city and project strength and greatness Nenshi turns around and looks after tax payer.

This project is not even about the Flames. It's about what kind of city we want to have. Do we want to be a major player or continue to be a tier two city?

As a tax payer, I am prepared to pay for this.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #1033
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

So much so for the city to sugar coat spending 25 million on a walking bridge. Millions on cycle track and claim once they are built people will use it. When it is obvious that we have tens of thousands of followers of a professional hockey team, a reputable minor hockey team, a pro lacrosse team, a hipster population who also follow superstar singers. Go for a poll and see how many want one as a want and as a need. And go back to the drawing table to discuss how to get it done.

I am ok to be taxed as a Flames ticket holder to help repay. But there is no way this discussion is a simple yes-no black & white.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to SOMBRI2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #1034
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post

When it comes to questioning funding for arts Nenshi condescending dismisses us as "short sighted".

But when it comes to projects that will enhance the city and project strength and greatness Nenshi turns around and looks after tax payer.

This project is not even about the Flames. It's about what kind of city we want to have. Do we want to be a major player or continue to be a tier two city?

How does giving hundreds of millions of dollars to help the billionaire owners of the flames build a new barn their local sports team plays in going to project our strength and greatness
Old 04-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #1035
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
A hockey arena will project strength and greatness?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #1036
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
It's obvious Ken King isn't the man to lead this project. This arena deal has been bubbling for what ten years now? Should have stepped down when the loud thud bellowed out as CalgaryNext hit the floor almost two years ago.
Out of thanks - but this is on the money IMO. I often wonder what Brian Burke feels about reporting to this clown
Old 04-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #1037
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Canadian government will spend billions on refugees(this Nenshi a hole is also happy to do this) but when it comes to something that will help the city and the economy Nenshi the a hole says no. There is something wrong here.
yeah, why worry about people fleeing from war and the prospect of death when we can have Taylor Swift concerts.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #1038
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
...sorry, do you really think that a ####ing hockey arena is more important than displaced refugees?

A Saddledome replacement isn't the 'future of our kids'. It's what it is: a ####ing hockey arena, that we cannot be forced to bend over backwards for.

The arena will bring in revenue for the city, create jobs, it might get Calgary the Olympics. This will be good for future generations as well, it will give more pride in the city.

Without going too much into it, look at what these refugees are doing to Europe. As a Canadian taxpayer, it pisses me off, that my taxes will go to these people, sitting at their homes(payed by Canadian taxpayers), get spending money(payed by Canadian taxpayers), they get to run around spreading their crap(payed by the Canadian tax payers.)

Don't you see something wrong with this?
Old 04-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #1039
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Project strength and greatness? We're a prairie city that will likely hit 2 million people in 20 years. I don't even think we're a tier two city, and handing out half a billion to a hockey team won't make us any greater as a city. A city's greatness is a tapestry, not just a sports team. How many other areas suffer if we cut a fat cheque to a profesional sports franchise? There are a lot of municipalities who have fallen for the tripe you're spinning right now and have NEVER recouped the supposed benefit economically.

This is a project for the Flames to make more money, way more money. The city will end up contributing in the end, likely via infrastructure improvements and either land or tax relief. They should not be cutting a cheque to built an asset to allow a business to improve revenue.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #1040
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The arena will bring in revenue for the city, create jobs, it might get Calgary the Olympics. This will be good for future generations as well, it will give more pride in the city.

Without going too much into it, look at what these refugees are doing to Europe. As a Canadian taxpayer, it pisses me off, that my taxes will go to these people, sitting at their homes(payed by Canadian taxpayers), get spending money(payed by Canadian taxpayers), they get to run around spreading their crap(payed by the Canadian tax payers.)

Don't you see something wrong with this?
Nope, but I see something wrong with you
Closed Thread