Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2017, 03:01 PM   #41
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Would love Engelland, but I just don't see how he fits in financially that fits for both sides. He's going to want the same as he's getting now, and he's likely going to get bid on if he actually hits UFA. Plus Vegas is almost the perfect fit for him, given his situation.

The only way he's coming back to Calgary is if he really wants to be here and doesn't mind doing a favor for Brad.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #42
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Somebody (Stone?)
Bartkowski - Andersson
Kulak

I love Engelland, but outside of a 1 year deal - nope. I imagine someone will give him a 2 year deal (or if someone gets crazy, a 3 year deal), so I can't help but think he'll be leaving in the summer.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:04 PM   #43
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's just saying that so LV signs him and the flames don't have to lose anyone to expansion lol
Old 03-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #44
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Giordano - Hamilton
Bartkowski - Andersson
Kulak

I love Engelland, but outside of a 1 year deal - nope. I imagine someone will give him a 2 year deal (or if someone gets crazy, a 3 year deal), so I can't help but think he'll be leaving in the summer.
If Engelland is super cheap(<1.5), I would play him with a rookie on the third pairing and keep Bartkowski aa the 7th dman.

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
Engelland-Andersson
Bartkowski/Healey

Last edited by keenan87; 03-28-2017 at 03:07 PM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #45
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Giordano - Hamilton
Bartkowski - Andersson
Kulak

No way! If you have the choice of Engelland at 1.5/2 and bartkowski at 1 you take Engelland every time!!!!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #46
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
No way! If you have the choice of Engelland at 1.5/2 and bartkowski at 1 you take Engelland every time!!!!
Once again, Bartkowski is already signed through the end of next season at $612,500.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #47
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Once again, Bartkowski is already signed through the end of next season at $612,500.
Thats great! Keep him as the number 7 or expose him to waivers if someone steps up. My main point was id take Engelland in the lineup over bartkowski all day long at a reasonable rate. He has earned good money here and enjoys being here. That could mean something to him...or not. I just like him with a rookie over bart and id pay up to 1.25 over barts contract to have him be here.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #48
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
We can allocate 5 million max towards Stone and Engelland in my opinion, which means one of them is almost definitely leaving (and the obvious one would be Engelland).

The definition of a great bottom pairing defenceman, but that's a pairing you should only be dedicating 2-3 million to as a whole.
I think it will cost the Flames about 7-8 million to keep Stone and Engelland. Closer to 8 is my guess. This will put about 26-27 million towards the defense. Goalies will cost 6 million for next year. A group of forwards that need deals as well. It will be tight the following year when Backlund becomes an UFA.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #49
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

With the season not over of course brad is going to say he wants Engeland back lol... What else can he say! I like him but too many guys are knocking on the door and he will be too expensive
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #50
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

...why do people think Engelland will cost 1.5-2M? He's not going to come that cheap. He's likely earned himself one final pay day of 3M or slightly above, and 2 years worth of term on the low end.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #51
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquared1967 View Post
I think it will cost the Flames about 7-8 million to keep Stone and Engelland. Closer to 8 is my guess. This will put about 26-27 million towards the defense. Goalies will cost 6 million for next year. A group of forwards that need deals as well. It will be tight the following year when Backlund becomes an UFA.
I dont know. I think stone may sign for around 3.5 x 6. Get Engelland in for 2 and its a decent slot ot be in. Im betting we see at keast 1 kid on d next year full time. Im also thinking this kid may move up during the year. If stone/Engelland held down the 3rd pairing that would be sick!
Old 03-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #52
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
...why do people think Engelland will cost 1.5-2M? He's not going to come that cheap. He's likely earned himself one final pay day of 3M or slightly above, and 2 years worth of term on the low end.
It depends what he wants really. Saying that he has played well enough this year, and with job creation this off season he probably has new options.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #53
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Engelland aims for term and based on his play, may even warrant a small raise, Stone opts for a small paycut on a 1-2 year deal to earn a bigger extension in future. Funny thing is their asking (cap hits) may end up around the same number. Based on how the Flames have utilized both, Stone is the priority IMO. You could also opt for both:

Top 4 of:
Giordano (6.75) - Hamilton (5.75)
Brodie (4.65) - Stone (3.25)

#5 = Engelland (3.25)

and two of Bartkowski, Andersson, Kulak, Hickey, etc. as the 6 and 7. Others to AHL, to play with Healey, Kylington, Kanzig, Ollas Mattson and an AHL vet.

They may keep Culkin to see if he can recover/get back on track, but they should let Wotherspoon and Morrison walk (both arbitration eligible)

That is a cheaper D corps than this year, with spots open to prospects. And if you want spots open to prospects, if not Engelland, you need a steady veteran as your #5 IMO
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #54
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stone is also coming off major surgery.

I don't think he sees 4 Million in his next deal. 3.5 is about right. Or 10 Mill over 3 years.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #55
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

I don't think he sees 4 Million in his next deal. 3.5 is about right. Or 10 Mill over 3 years.
Doesn't seem out of whack given his age. Gives him the opportunity for another lengthy contract right around age 30.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #56
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

10 over 3 or 15 orver 5 at his age after injury may work
Old 03-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #57
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Engelland has been way better than he gets credit but 35 + doesn't help and with our cupboards stocked guys have to start getting chances when the opportunities arise.

Tree did say when he got Stone and Bart that no one forced themselves onto the team from Stockton.

Big strides have to be made in the offseason By Our defence in Stockton.

Tree getting things done with More signings this week is great for creating more competition.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #58
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Engelland has been way better than he gets credit but 35 + doesn't help and with our cupboards stocked guys have to start getting chances when the opportunities arise.

Tree did say when he got Stone and Bart that no one forced themselves onto the team from Stockton.

Big strides have to be made in the offseason By Our defence in Stockton.

Tree getting things done with More signings this week is great for creating more competition.

Its all very exciting!!!
Old 03-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #59
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Pretty amazing given the reaction on here and around the media when Engelland signed that three year deal that now the majority want him back.

Wish the Raymond deal worked out the same!

Either way my biggest issue with him is the right handed shot, as that puts Andersson in a sticky situation with Gulutzan's insistence on right hand left hand combos.

Gives Kulak and Kylington a leg up though. Maybe a sneak attack from Hickey.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #60
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think Engelland's time in Calgary has been hugely underrated. I especially remember the way he stepped up once Gio went down in 2015. Could you replace his skill and work ethic? Probably. But I'd suspect there's a lot more to him than just what he does on the ice.

I think there's a lot to be said for having a guy who, on a primarily young team, has stepped in to defend anyone and everyone during scrums. Beating up two Vancouver Canucks at once? I want that guy on my team.
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kolbe31 For This Useful Post: