Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #121
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
If Ferland wasn't on the top line for the past 15-20 games, would we still want to protect him?
Is Ferland's good play in the past month purely a product of his line mates? I don't think so.

Yes. If Ferland was still playing on the third line I would want him protected in the expansion draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 09:05 PM   #122
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
ferland is like lance bouma, It is hard not to like the play at the time and over value the guy. But these are the types of players that will kill your cap (lance bouma) if you keep them long term. He is a first liner because we have no depth on RW. these are the guys you have to make a tough choice and let them go and have a AHL player promoted to take their place (which is hard to imagine because he is on the first line now, but shouldn't be that level)
Please enlighten us as to how Ferland is remotely like Lance Bouma. I am very interested to hear how you compare them, because from my perspective Ferland looks to be a bigger, stronger, faster skating, better thinking, more highly skilled player than Bouma with much better hands and a superior shot.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 03-28-2017 at 09:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #123
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Question Mock Vegas Expansion Draft:

I would guess Treliving cuts a deal with Vegas not to select Brouwer.

Perhaps a pick & prospect such as Pribyl, Kanzig, Schneider or Rittich?

The Knights still have their choice of...

Stajan
Bouma
Chiasson
Hathaway
Shinkaruk
Bartkowski
Wotherspoon
Kulak (my bet to be chosen by Vegas)
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #124
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas plucks a guy like Shinky even if someone like Brouwer is exposed.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #125
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be protecting Bouma over Brouwer at this point. Protecting Ferland isn't necessarily saying that "wow Ferland is so great he needs to be part of the future", it's saying that Ferland is among the 7 most valuable forward assets that need protection. Brouwer is comfortably the worst asset that the Flames have and if Vegas wants him he should be all theirs.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #126
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Whatever. Flames lose a depth player at best.

Maybe said player goes on to better things. Flames' owners are okay with their cut of the expansion fee.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #127
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas plucks a guy like Shinky even if someone like Brouwer is exposed.

Yeah i suspect they will go younger where they can but without question an expansion team needs some solid vets as well. Lots available however.

That LV scouting team has been busy all year from what i understand and there is a bunch of em.

Kelly Kisio, Mike Foligno. Vaclav Nedomansky, Dan Labratten....and a whole bunch of others...lots of emphasis on Euros apparently.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #128
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Please enlighten us as to how Ferland is remotely like Lance Bouma. I am very interested to hear how you compare them, because from my perspective Ferland looks to be a bigger, stronger, faster skating, better thinking, more highly skilled player than Bouma with much better hands and a superior shot.
I'll qualify my statement. first saying I think ferland should be protected this year. But what I'm saying is like bouma, ferland becomes a fan favourite and then once they sign their next contract they have troubles living up to it and then become a scapegoat for lack of performance. has ferland earned a bigger contract probably, but these are the kind of players that instead of signing them for value you should hold out and if you sign them for less then great, but if you lose them like colbourne it is no real lose to the team at all. If the flames walked away from bouma, nobody would really care right now. instead we have a higher cap hit when someone in the AHL would be better.

People are discussing him as the sixth or seventh protected forward, that spot you can walk away from without long term effects.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:39 PM   #129
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I'll qualify my statement. first saying I think ferland should be protected this year. But what I'm saying is like bouma, ferland becomes a fan favourite and then once they sign their next contract they have troubles living up to it and then become a scapegoat for lack of performance. has ferland earned a bigger contract probably, but these are the kind of players that instead of signing them for value you should hold out and if you sign them for less then great, but if you lose them like colbourne it is no real lose to the team at all. If the flames walked away from bouma, nobody would really care right now. instead we have a higher cap hit when someone in the AHL would be better.

People are discussing him as the sixth or seventh protected forward, that spot you can walk away from without long term effects.
So, nothing at all like Bouma then in so far as Ferland is a much, much better hockey player. I am happy we agree on this.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #130
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No way is Ferland unprotected. Personally I think you leave Lazar out there if you indeed want to keep Brouwer. If you wouldn't mind losing Brouwer than protect Lazar. If Lazar is left unprotected I don't think its a given he's selected and even if he is I don't see it as huge loss. Ultimately losing a 2nd round pick in a weak draft in expansion is pretty minimal.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #131
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
So, nothing at all like Bouma then in so far as Ferland is a much, much better hockey player. I am happy we agree on this.

I think the general consensus with bouma was he is awesome in 2014-2015, he was a fan favourite. now not so much... I think Ferland is valued just the same now as bouma was back then. As saying ferland is bigger stronger, they are the exact same height and weight. Ferland's junior stats were better, but their careers have been fairly similar so far. I see him as less of a risk to walk away from then sign longer term. knowing how BT has worked I don't see him signing ferland for a long term contract.

just think if the expansion was in 2014-15 people would be saying protect bouma.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:52 PM   #132
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Ferland discussion needs to end. There is absolutely no way the Flames expose him.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #133
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
The Ferland discussion needs to end. There is absolutely no way the Flames expose him.
I agree. If he continues to be really effective on the 1st line, you have your top
6 set for a few years to come going into a window of cup contention. That is a massive luxury. Tinkering around with a couple key pieces like Bennett, maybe Jankowski on your bottom 6 seems relatively easy.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:01 PM   #134
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
How about they trade for someone better... that's one way. There are a few potential names that would be nice to have that other teams wouldn't mind getting something for in advance.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:01 PM   #135
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I think the general consensus with bouma was he is awesome in 2014-2015, he was a fan favourite. now not so much... I think Ferland is valued just the same now as bouma was back then.
In the summer following Bouma's incredible 15-goal season virtually every knowledgeable observer and fan agreed that it was a one-off that would never be repeated. I am highly sceptical that anyone who follows the Flames closely would predict the same for Ferland.

Quote:
As saying ferland is bigger stronger, they are the exact same height and weight. Ferland's junior stats were better, but their careers have been fairly similar so far.
Lance Bouma has played 299 NHL games, and has scored a total of 27 goals and 67 points over the course of six years and four full seasons. Ferland is playing his sophomore season. He has played in 132 fewer games in three less years, and trails Bouma's career totals by six goals.

This is an outlandish comparison that is bears few if any remote similarities.

Quote:
I see him as less of a risk to walk away from then sign longer term. knowing how BT has worked I don't see him signing ferland for a long term contract.

just think if the expansion was in 2014-15 people would be saying protect bouma.
The Flames organization has been consistently and vocally very high on Micheal Ferland. I think that he will sign another two or three year deal, but not because Treliving is harbouring any thoughts of "walking away"—not from a player with size and speed that looks like a threat to score 20 goals.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 11:06 PM   #136
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anyone think Brower is worth anything close to 4.5? If I am Tree not only am I exposing Brower but I'd also be giving up assets to ensure Vegas picks him. We need to use that money on someone of greater value.
3rd Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:10 PM   #137
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Does anyone think Brower is worth anything close to 4.5? If I am Tree not only am I exposing Brower but I'd also be giving up assets to ensure Vegas picks him. We need to use that money on someone of greater value.
I think Brouwer is a better player than he has shown this season. He is not worth $4.5 m, but few UFA acquisitions ever play up to their contracts. Brouwer has looked a lot better in the past two weeks, and I expect him to be better overall next season.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #138
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

No matter who the Flames potentially protect among forwards, I wonder if the player we lose is Kulak, unless the Flames offer something to Vegas to not take him.

The knights are going to need prospects and emerging players. Kulak is that guy.

I can't see Lazar being picked, even if the Flames don't protect him. Unless he all of a sudden has a great playoffs. As of right now, there are better options available from the Flames that will be available.

I agree with everyone that there's no chance that Ferland is left unprotected.

Whether we are worried about losing Brouwer or not depends on how he performs in the playoffs, IMO. But he might be protected anyway, over Lazar, IMO.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:31 AM   #139
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone considered that Treliving traded for Lazar knowing that McPhee has a boner for him and will take him over anything else available? Trading for a player that is certain to get selected is a sure fire way of protecting the rest of your roster. Not saying this is why Lazar was traded for, but it makes a helluva lot more sense than protecting him or Brouwer over Ferland.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:19 AM   #140
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Has anyone considered that Treliving traded for Lazar knowing that McPhee has a boner for him and will take him over anything else available? Trading for a player that is certain to get selected is a sure fire way of protecting the rest of your roster. Not saying this is why Lazar was traded for, but it makes a helluva lot more sense than protecting him or Brouwer over Ferland.

It's not clear who they would be trying to protect in this case. The list was pretty clear prior to the Lazar pickup - no one off the list looks worth spending a second on to protect
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote