Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #81
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
You're allowed to think that he's good and will develop fine and also think his ceiling has probably been reduced a bit. I'm sorry but I don't see a 1st line center there anymore.

Nothing wrong with a middle six'er. His contract will be cheap and he's still perfectly serviceable for his cap hit so he can take his time.

Loved the fight.
You're allowed to think whatever you want. Opinions are free (and worth every penny).

But anyone who thinks they have a handle on what any 20 year old's ceiling is, are simply fooling themselves.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #82
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
What I don't get is why are the Flames not giving Sam Bennett every chance to successed, no line team mates, no PP time, it's like the Flames want their highest pick to not successed.
I disagree with this. In fact I think the Flames are giving him every chance to succeed in having a long and successful career. They are teaching him how to play hockey at the NHL level. Just because they aren't putting him on the first line doesn't mean he isn't succeeding. From the start of the season to today I see a much more complete, disciplined and effective player.

The points will come, you can't overcook a player. They are working him from the 3rd line up to develop all facets of his game, not just feeding him points for a stat sheet. Next year will be the next step up the lineup, more PP time, more offensive starts, etc. I am fully confident that Bennett will be a 70+ point center that own both ends of the ice.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #83
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
What I don't get is why are the Flames not giving Sam Bennett every chance to successed, no line team mates, no PP time, it's like the Flames want their highest pick to not successed.
The Flames goal is to develop him into the best player possible, not give him opportunities to succeed.

He will get opportunities - he will earn his way into the top 6.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #84
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm not too too worried about Sam yet, but it is hard to see a place for him in the top 6 in the foreseeable future...which makes it hard for him to really put up solid numbers.
He doesn't seem to be a likely RWer for Johnny and Mony, and the 3M line should be carved in stone for next season too...So he is stuck with Brouwer and Versteeg (or his replacement).
Unless one of those top 5 guys gets injured or declines steadily, it's hard to see Bennett putting up any kind of substantial numbers even next season.
I would like to see him get some more PP time
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #85
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
You're allowed to think whatever you want. Opinions are free (and worth every penny).

But anyone who thinks they have a handle on what any 20 year old's ceiling is, are simply fooling themselves.
Well the point of the thread is to offer a prediction so....
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #86
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion, the best linemates for Bennett are players that play with a lot of pace to their game. That is why I was really happy with the Lazar acquisition - I really think those two are going to fit in well together.

Throw anyone next to Backlund, and that player will have a good year. This is a bad example because of the preceding sentence, but it fits for Bennett here as Backlund plays with a lot of pace.

Tkachuk I see as having a lot of the same characteristics as Bennett, but he doesn't play with that pace. However, as long as there is another player on that line that can play at the same speed and who also has a non-stop motor, I think Tkachuk will fit in really well. I am with Mastadon on this one for next season (or even in the playoffs, depending on how things are going and if they need to spread things out):

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Lazar
Bouma - Stajan - Brouwer

To me, that is a difficult team to play against. Jankowski is a rookie, but he isn't really 'raw'. He has taken a long time developing in the NCAA and Leaman made a point of throwing him in every situation. He won the NCAA championship while doing an excellent job of limiting Eichel. He is leading the Stockton Heat in scoring in his first season, and still being relied on to play in every situation. Kid can come in and play on the Backlund line and do really well. I don't see the point of keeping him in Stockton until a center spot opens up - if he doesn't get to play center, that's ok too. He can at least get his ears wet in the NHL and play with one of the NHL's best 2-way centers for a season - that seems like a really good trade-off. Then, you gauge what is happening with Bennett and/or Lazar in terms of their ability to play center.

There are many centers in the NHL that played center in junior, entered the NHL as a winger, and slowly got transitioned back into center as they found themselves on teams that were either very deep at center (like Seguin in Boston) or that took more time developing at center and were brought along slowly but surely (like Galchenyuk thus far - though not my favorite example).

Playoffs are a different demon, and you try to win. If someone like Jankowski makes for a better center TODAY, then sure, play him at center at fit Bennett on the wing.

I just think it would be ridiculous to give up on what could possibly be the highest ceiling center the Flames have organizationally and convert him to wing just because he has better numbers on the wing. EVERYONE gets better numbers on the wing. Take off the defensive responsibilities, and it is natural for their point production to increase.

I think Bennett is doing just fine and growing into that position well. Give him time. Is he hurting the team? No. He is giving the Flames solid defensive time, and his speed is difficult for teams to handle. It is just unfortunate that he is paired with two guys that don't play at that speed at the moment (thus why I am very eager to see Lazar and him being turned into a combo down the road).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #87
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Lower those expectations my friend.
Oh I don't know if those expectations are THAT high. Backlund on his real breakout year is on pace for something like 25+32. Most would agree that Bennett has more potential, and Bennett has had a better start than Backlund had.

Can Bennetts peak beat Backlunds peak by 10 goals and 8 assists? It's a high hope, but not completely unreasonable based on what we've seen so far.

(For the record, my own prediction about Bennett has been IIRC around 60-65 points per season at his peak. I think I'll stick with that.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #88
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I'm not too too worried about Sam yet, but it is hard to see a place for him in the top 6 in the foreseeable future...which makes it hard for him to really put up solid numbers.
He doesn't seem to be a likely RWer for Johnny and Mony, and the 3M line should be carved in stone for next season too...So he is stuck with Brouwer and Versteeg (or his replacement).
Unless one of those top 5 guys gets injured or declines steadily, it's hard to see Bennett putting up any kind of substantial numbers even next season.
I would like to see him get some more PP time
I don't agree with this, and I completely agree with Calgary4Life.

The lines are going to continue to evolve. The first thing the Flames should do next season is put someone else on the Backlund line and free up Tkachuk, in order to spread the wealth a bit.

If you put Tkachuk with Bennett, that instantly makes that line better. Then you find the right RW and you have a great third line (which may or may not actually be the third line, but I don't care about those labels anyway).

As C4L said, Lazar could potentially be the perfect 3rd piece to play with Tkachuk and Bennett. That line would have speed, physicality, talent, a massive pest factor, two trigger men... what's not to like.

As for Backlund's line, I have no problem with having a lesser offensive player take over and have them go back to being the 3rd line - albeit the best 3rd line in hockey.

Could be a great spot for Mangiapane, Shinkaruk, Jankowski or someone new.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Bennett - Lazar
Mangiapane - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Jankowski - Brouwer
Hathaway - Stajan - Chiasson

pretty deep lineup
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #89
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought coming into the season the improvement of Hamilton and Bennett would determine the success of the team.

Hamilton has been excellent and Bennett has been up and down. At this point though, I'm not sure either would make the top 3 reasons for where the Flames are today. I would have to say its solid goaltending, a sound system and emergence of a killer second line are the top reasons in no particular order.

Point is, Bennett emerging is still all upside for this team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #90
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

double post
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #91
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Bennett is in the perfect spot right now.

I was hoping that this would be his break out year, but I guess he needs a little more seasoning. Which is just fine.

The best thing that could have happened, did. The ascension of the Backlund line. Going in to the season, it looked like they needed Bennett to grab the reigns as tbe second line centre, but its now clear that he wasn't quite ready. Instead, he has been allowed to learn the center ice position with less pressure to perform offensively.

We kind of got teased with his performance in the playoffs, and expectations were sky high. Its in a way similar to Iginlas early career development. Remember after Iginlas impressive rookie season? He scored 13 goals and was deployed at times on the 4th line. We all know how that turned out.

Bennett doesn't need better linemates, he doesn't need to be shifted to the wing and he's not going to get traded. He needs to be right where he is.

I still firmly believe that he will be the Flames best forward in due course.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #92
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What does Bennett's salary and term look like next year?

I'm guessing something in the 2.2mil range for three years. He doesn't have much leverage, really. He could get a speculative offer sheet that drives the price up. I hope not though. This could be a great value signing if other teams don't get all trigger happy on us.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #93
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
What does Bennett's salary and term look like next year?

I'm guessing something in the 2.2mil range for three years. He doesn't have much leverage, really. He could get a speculative offer sheet that drives the price up. I hope not though. This could be a great value signing if other teams don't get all trigger happy on us.
I wouldn't be too worried about offer sheets, and 2-2.3 seems like the correct range for his next contract.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #94
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we could get that 3rd year it would be great but probably only 2.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #95
brzeisk13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Put him on the wing in the top 6. If that doesn't pan out, then he can always center the 3rd or 4th and be Stajan's replacement.
brzeisk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #96
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

He like's to have the puck. He's a center.

It's a three scoring line league anyways. We just need to give him some wingers to work with.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #97
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have this feeling that Sam is going to score some big goals in the playoffs.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #98
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Sammy has been doing stuff last 3 games that remind me of Gilmour too much....not a bad thing.
This kid is getting better and better ....I wish he had great line mates like Tkachuk as I really think he tries too hard without quality line mates.

Maybe He Brouwer and Versteeg can get something going?
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #99
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I think Bennett is in the perfect spot right now.

I was hoping that this would be his break out year, but I guess he needs a little more seasoning. Which is just fine.

The best thing that could have happened, did. The ascension of the Backlund line. Going in to the season, it looked like they needed Bennett to grab the reigns as tbe second line centre, but its now clear that he wasn't quite ready. Instead, he has been allowed to learn the center ice position with less pressure to perform offensively.

We kind of got teased with his performance in the playoffs, and expectations were sky high. Its in a way similar to Iginlas early career development. Remember after Iginlas impressive rookie season? He scored 13 goals and was deployed at times on the 4th line. We all know how that turned out.

Bennett doesn't need better linemates, he doesn't need to be shifted to the wing and he's not going to get traded. He needs to be right where he is.

I still firmly believe that he will be the Flames best forward in due course.
Agreed. Some guys like Backlund have had to earn their way even though he has always been considered to be offensively gifted. Backlund did this without complaining, while quietly becoming one of the best 2 way players in the game. Stajan is another guy who never complains but is a consummate team guy he puts the team first and goes out and does his job. Coach has probably told Bennett he knows he can score but that he needs him to fill a role on the team, and that his time will come when he is needed to step up and be that guy. That is pretty much how it was for Backlund. Not much worry about Bennett the coaches have a short and long term plan so Bennett is just fine where he is. No pressure he just has to do the job expected of him.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #100
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If I were Par, I'd read the story that Bingo wrote on Bennett http://www.calgarypuck.com/2017/03/banking-on-bennett/ and the thread that went along with it.

Bennett probably is a victim of circumstances - a bunch of players that are slotted ahead of him. This team with Bennett on the 4th line is one of the best in the NHL.

I am pretty happy with that. Let's see how the playoffs playout (I remember Bennett being a better player than our top line when he first started out) and then let's check back in next year to see where he is at.