Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default The future of Sam Bennett

I have been reading the comments about Sam Bennett and they have been all over the place. Going forward what do you see in Sam Bennett? What do you think he is capable of? Where does he fit in the future plans of this team?
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some players take longer to put it all together, I think most people here have liked how Bennett has been playing probably since the Lightning game. He doesn't get any PP time and his linemates aren't top 6 quality. The production will come, just need some patients. I loved the toe drag move he pulled this game.

Last edited by Beninho; 03-11-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are multiple terrible threads being started, which is especially weird considering the Flames are on a 9 game win streak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Some players take longer to put it all together, I think most people here have liked how Bennett has been playing probably since the Lightning game. He doesn't get any PP time and his linemates aren't top 6 quality. The production will come, just need some patients. I loved the toe drag move he pulled this game.

It boggles my mind that Troy ####ing Brouwer gets more PP time than Sam Bennett.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Par For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 11:24 PM   #6
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine Bennett's intangibles, Backlund's two-way play with a bit more size, and Cammalleri's one-timer. No forward in this organization, even Tkachuk, has that kind of package waiting for them. Bennett probably does, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
It boggles my mind that Troy ####ing Brouwer gets more PP time than Sam Bennett.
There are 4.5 million reasons for that one.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 11:25 PM   #7
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Imagine Bennett's intangibles, Backlund's two-way play with a bit more size, and Cammalleri's one-timer.
And Oliwa's hammer

Last edited by GullFoss; 03-11-2017 at 11:29 PM.
GullFoss is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 11:27 PM   #8
Boxman
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Unbelievable seeing him fight Trouba. He needs to improve his skating, balance, strength, shot, passing. Not sure whether his grit on ice translates to a drive to succeed. But the grit is there. I would argue the bust potential is zero - I think perrenial middle six based on how his hockey IQ looks right now.
Boxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:39 PM   #9
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Honestly I've been a touch concerned about him. Not that he won't be a NHL player but it's where he is sloted and with whom he is lined up with.

Is he a victim of circumstance? I mean he won't displace Monty or Backs as a top 2 center (right now). Then there is the "move him to left wing crowd". But is he going to bump Johnny or Tkachuk down the line up? Nope.

Someone mentioned in another thread that moving Brouwer down and moving Chiasson up might help, I agree. Give him a better Winger.

The thing that bothers me is that I know he can produce even on the third line but he hasn't consisently. Maybe that's because of his line mates, primarily, Brouwer.

I'd really like to see a Versteeg-Bennett-Lazar line at some point. I doubt it will be anytime soon tho.

Listen, I believe our highest pick of all time is s player I just wonder if it is s right fit at the moment. That being said, I don't trade him because I don't think we get the value back that we (Flames) will see down the road.
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bezer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 11:41 PM   #10
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxman View Post
Unbelievable seeing him fight Trouba. He needs to improve his skating, balance, strength, shot, passing. Not sure whether his grit on ice translates to a drive to succeed. But the grit is there. I would argue the bust potential is zero - I think perrenial middle six based on how his hockey IQ looks right now.
People said very similar things about Backlund. I still think Bennett has much more potential than you see. Again, patients.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:52 PM   #11
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said in tonight's PGT that he has plenty of time to develop his offense with Backlund and Monahan ahead of him on the depth chart. Especially with the team winning and looking good long term.

Good player to have patience with IMO, because I don't think he'll take anywhere near as long as Backlund took for example, and the ceiling will also end up being higher.

Let's remember he's still only 20, and even if he stays what he is right now, he's a decent 3rd line center. Of course, you'd just be throwing your money away if you bet that he's already topped out.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 12:15 AM   #12
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the last things I worry about with regards to the Flames is Sam Bennett. Sam will develop and go on to show why he was picked so high. He is the full package.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 12:17 AM   #13
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could see him getting really hot in a playoff run and putting up 7-8 goals. He will see a lot of 3-4 lines and bottom pair d. Smart enough to figure out some tendencies over the course of a series. He's in a fantastic spot in the lineup for where his game is with 2 lines putting up big points right now.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:20 AM   #14
bigdl
Farm Team Player

Exp:

It is only second year for him, give him time to grow and learn.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
bigdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:47 AM   #15
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eventually predict him to be a mildly sheltered 30/30 center that can play PK/PP, agitate, and punch faces.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:51 AM   #16
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He is already a pain to play against and will only get better for us and worse for them!
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flame^thrower For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #17
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As far as his Hockey IQ can take him.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #18
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
As far as his Hockey IQ can take him.
Pretty much. Smarts are what's holding him back so far. Reading the play and making good decisions. As awesome as his scrap last night was, it came after an idiotic penalty. You're up 2-0 and you slash a guy in the offensive zone away from the puck? Gulutzan was not pleased at all.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #19
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Pretty much. Smarts are what's holding him back so far. Reading the play and making good decisions. As awesome as his scrap last night was, it came after an idiotic penalty. You're up 2-0 and you slash a guy in the offensive zone away from the puck? Gulutzan was not pleased at all.
Was GG not pleased with Bennett or the refs? It was a pretty tame slash. If the Flames were the team losing would that call have been made? I doubt it.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #20
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Was GG not pleased with Bennett or the refs? It was a pretty tame slash. If the Flames were the team losing would that call have been made? I doubt it.
Given how strongly the coaches have been preaching discipline, and how essential the reduction in penalties has been to the turnaround, I'm gonna go with the former. A slash in the offensive zone against a guy who doesn't have the puck is pretty much the definition of a bad penalty in the eyes of a coach.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: