Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-05-2017, 08:30 PM   #41
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post
Does it help to know the Mrs. is a tech junkie who can't understand why modern homes don't come with stuff like Echo or Google Home pre-installed? Who wants to turn on light switches with their hands like a sucker, when you could just tell the house to turn them on?

Would your recommendations for home security change if you knew Rico had to contend with a strong geek factor? At the very least, I want to be able to see who's ringing my doorbell on my smartphone.

Haha - I thought Rico was the geek of the family. Vivint's ranks high on the tech factor with a great app, doorbell camera that goes to the panel, Nest, electronic locks, and a whole bunch of other stuff (though I don't think it does Google Home / Echo). Much better integrated than some of the major systems out there. It's a wireless system like ADT's Pulse which has it's negatives - signals are terrible in my house so I have repeaters for Z-wave and wifi.

Many of the negatives others have mentioned about them are valid. I suspect trying to cancel mid contract would be a nightmare and costly. They do run door to door teams which is pretty scuzzy. What I've read is to do avoid these sales teams and some of their summer seasonal installers as they are really just temp employees. Support is all done out of Utah but they will dispatch a service guy locally if they have to. If you're handy, they'll even just courier you a new device and you install it (ie deadbolt) and they can activate over the phone.

At the end of the day, a monitored fire/flood/freeze sensor reduced my Home insurance by $20 / month which made the costs of an alarm system more manageable.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 03-05-2017 at 08:33 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #42
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We recently completed a new home build and went with InfiniteControl - We had them spec up, design and install a system managed by alarm.com and monitored by counterforce. Full cellular system with all the latest gadgetry; Can control door locks, garage doors, cameras, doorbell cams, glass break, moition, heat, c02, water, etc all from my phone. Was very reasonably priced for the install (after I negotiated with them). Cost is $45 a month for monitoring plus alarm.com access (giving me complete control over the system on my phone). Can cancel with counterforce for the monitoring after a year and I own the equipment so can revise my monitoring strategy then if I decide to.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #43
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this because I'm now trying to figure out what I'm going to do for the place I moved into recently. Here's my situation: I have a new build that has rough ins for keypads, motion sensors and IP cameras (one in front and one in back).

I got a quote from ADT, which goes from 600-800 for the install of everything but the cameras (basically glass break and motion sensors along with 3 panels), plus $40 per month, or $50 per month if I want to be able to monitor the system on my phone.

Separate from that, two cameras plus install plus the video recording box to store the footage is $1600.

So that's my baseline, but it seems like a crap ton of money, in particular the monthly cost. I also have calls out to United Alarm, as well as a company called A-1 Alarm (https://a1alarmsystems.ca/) which was recommended to me by my builder.

Any input or advice would be much appreciated.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 03-28-2017 at 10:02 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #44
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, just got a reasonable quote for installation of these cameras.

http://www.norelcosafecam.com/site/f...Spec_Sheet.pdf

Anyone know anything about this stuff / any reason I wouldn't want to use those?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #45
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have 5 Ario cameras and a big f'n dog. The cameras are just to record the video of my dog chewing on anybody that comes in the house unannounced.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 06:34 PM   #46
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump - United quoted 30 for a wifi based package, plus 2$ for the app (as mentioned earlier), plus $4 for a guard service (a guy they send to check things out to avoid getting a false alarm charge from the cops). Includes flood, fire, freeze. But no money down.

48 month term as compared to 36 from ADT.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:00 PM   #47
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Guy next to me at work is having a hard time with United.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:07 PM   #48
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has anyone ever done a self-monitored system? I'm thinking that we might go that route in our next place. I figure why pay 20-30 bucks a month to have the system call the monitoring service and then have the monitoring service call me and ask what they should do. Cut out the middle man and have the system just call me directly.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:48 AM   #49
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Bump - United quoted 30 for a wifi based package, plus 2$ for the app (as mentioned earlier), plus $4 for a guard service (a guy they send to check things out to avoid getting a false alarm charge from the cops). Includes flood, fire, freeze. But no money down.

48 month term as compared to 36 from ADT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
We have something like this with United as well.

We have the wifi version (cheaper than cellular signal), 3 doors and 3 windows and 1 motion sensor (all wireless), app access on our phones. Haven't had any issues yet, only time it went off was when my wife opened the sliding door without disarming, they called pretty much right away to make sure everything was ok.

We just wanted something basic so I didn't really look at things like doorbell camera or temperature and flood warning.
The only thing I will add is if you are signing up for 48 months make sure you aren't planning on moving before it's up. Still haven't had any issues with United, but again I haven't really needed them for anything other than the 1 alarm.

We skipped the guard service, I didn't see the point of it.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:58 AM   #50
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, it's $30 per month. So let's say you moved with a year left on the deal, the most they could possibly ask you to pay would be the $360 remaining on your term.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #51
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, it's $30 per month. So let's say you moved with a year left on the deal, the most they could possibly ask you to pay would be the $360 remaining on your term.
Yes but it's just one more thing you have to pay, just something to keep in mind is all.

How come you are interested in the guard service? How many false alarms do you think you'll be getting where you have no idea why the alarm went off and want the police to go?

The 5 or so years we have had an alarm the only times the alarm has gone off was when my wife forgot to disarm it, and another couple times when we had people check the house while we were out of town and they forgot their code.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #52
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Guard service is a waste of time. Half the time the service arrives an hour after the call. No guard service means monitoring will call your call list (3 or 4 phone numbers) prior to calling the police. If it is an accident then you will answer and call off the police. If you don't answer then just maybe you may need the police.

Was your ADT quote done by phone? It live? If by phone then pm me and I'll get a good rep to you who may be able to do better.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #53
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was in person. The guy was fine, I mean if one company quotes you 40/mo and $600 install and another quotes you $30/mo, no install fee for more services, it's hard to see how that gap gets bridged. I'm still talking to one other company tomorrow morning.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #54
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update - talked to one more provider, a smaller outlet in the NE called A1 Alarm. This is the outfit my builder recommended as he uses them for some properties, and the guy did in fact know exactly what stuff I had roughed in without looking at it.

The package that he offered was about $800 installed, $23 per month, with similar security options to what United was offering - motion, glass breaks and contacts for doors / basement windows, plus fire. But no contract term, cancel whenever you want. Apparently the 24h monitoring is done by a company called Armstrong (http://www.armcom.ca/) which appears to be based out east. He also quoted me 1200 installed for cameras and NVR. Also, for an extra $450 he'd put in a higher-end touch control panel that can also be used for home automation.

So the gist is,

ADT: Wired system. ~$600 installed plus 39.99 / month for monitoring, which does not include cell phone control. For that, it's 49.99 / month. That gets me glass breaks, motion sensors, and panels, with no fire, flood or anything else. 3 year term.

United Alarm: Wireless system via wifi. $0 installation, plus $31.99 / month for monitoring, which does include cell phone controls. Includes motion sensors, contacts on doors and windows, as well as flood, fire and freeze sensors. 4 year term.

A1 Alarm: Wired system. $800 installation, plus $23 / month for monitoring with cell phone controls. Includes motion sensors, glass breaks, contacts on basement windows, as well as fire detection. No contract term.

So now the question: what do I do here? I'm going to have a hard time justifying paying more for less "stuff" with ADT, even if it is a good company. A1 is a small shop, but I know he has a relationship with my builder and this Armstrong monitoring company seems legit. United is no money down, which is great, but it's the longest term and people seem to report some issues with them (though sort of vaguely).
Old 03-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #55
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

What brand of equipment do you get with A1? Also what happens with the equipment if you cancel your contract, do you get it or do they want it back?
Old 03-31-2017, 01:29 PM   #56
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honeywell. Same as the other two. They don't get it back, I'm buying it from them, hence the money up front.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:31 PM   #57
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honeywell. Same as the other two. They don't get it back, I'm buying it from them, hence the money up front.
Ah right, I should go get a coffee.

Not sure if it matters to you but I believe United's monitoring is local.

Not sure about ADT.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:38 PM   #58
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Update - talked to one more provider, a smaller outlet in the NE called A1 Alarm. This is the outfit my builder recommended as he uses them for some properties, and the guy did in fact know exactly what stuff I had roughed in without looking at it.

The package that he offered was about $800 installed, $23 per month, with similar security options to what United was offering - motion, glass breaks and contacts for doors / basement windows, plus fire. But no contract term, cancel whenever you want. Apparently the 24h monitoring is done by a company called Armstrong (http://www.armcom.ca/) which appears to be based out east. He also quoted me 1200 installed for cameras and NVR. Also, for an extra $450 he'd put in a higher-end touch control panel that can also be used for home automation.

So the gist is,

ADT: Wired system. ~$600 installed plus 39.99 / month for monitoring, which does not include cell phone control. For that, it's 49.99 / month. That gets me glass breaks, motion sensors, and panels, with no fire, flood or anything else. 3 year term.

United Alarm: Wireless system via wifi. $0 installation, plus $31.99 / month for monitoring, which does include cell phone controls. Includes motion sensors, contacts on doors and windows, as well as flood, fire and freeze sensors. 4 year term.

A1 Alarm: Wired system. $800 installation, plus $23 / month for monitoring with cell phone controls. Includes motion sensors, glass breaks, contacts on basement windows, as well as fire detection. No contract term.

So now the question: what do I do here? I'm going to have a hard time justifying paying more for less "stuff" with ADT, even if it is a good company. A1 is a small shop, but I know he has a relationship with my builder and this Armstrong monitoring company seems legit. United is no money down, which is great, but it's the longest term and people seem to report some issues with them (though sort of vaguely).
So with United you pay nothing up front but pay an extra $432 over the life of the contract compared to A1. So in theory you are paying $368 more over the 4 years with A1.

How long are you going to live there? A wired system is going to be harder to move than a wireless system so that could be something to keep in mind.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:59 PM   #59
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah right, I should go get a coffee.

Not sure if it matters to you but I believe United's monitoring is local.

Not sure about ADT.
ADT's is local too, but frankly, if it's 24 hours, I don't know that it makes a huge difference that the guy who's getting the alarm and calling CPS is in Nova Scotia.
Quote:
So with United you pay nothing up front but pay an extra $432 over the life of the contract compared to A1. So in theory you are paying $368 more over the 4 years with A1.

How long are you going to live there? A wired system is going to be harder to move than a wireless system so that could be something to keep in mind.
Correct, which is why I'm kind of leaning towards the United side of things. However, I'm still not clear on what happens if I want to end the contract. Sure, okay, it makes sense that if you're on a four year term and want to cancel after three, there's going to be some sort of penalty. But what if it's six years later? Will they try to charge me for the equipment they installed? Not clear what the deal is with that so I may try and clarify things with them.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #60
Morning Wood
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Also, just got a reasonable quote for installation of these cameras.

http://www.norelcosafecam.com/site/f...Spec_Sheet.pdf

Anyone know anything about this stuff / any reason I wouldn't want to use those?
If you don't mind me asking, what numbers were they quoting for that?
Morning Wood is offline   Reply With Quote