Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #4601
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
He could get on a hot streak like did in the early part of the season and maybe win a series. As for 16 games I would agree.
It could happen. In any event I maintain that as soon as a team is starting their backup goalie in the playoffs it is almost certainly over for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 12:30 AM   #4602
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember that press conference when it was on TSN. I believe Mac T said something along the lines of "We are looking to add Milan Lucic type players"

I just shook my head in amazement as the new GM was making it seem like tampering was just a regular thing. Coaches and GM's go through an insane amount of care to ensure they are not publicly talking about other team's players.

Just comical all around
Old 03-29-2017, 12:44 AM   #4603
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am giddy with glee to watch them crumple like wet tissue when they realize the aggressiveness/hitting/grinding is no where near the same in the playoffs as it is in the regular season. The only guy who really knows this on that team is Lucic. McDavid's in for a rude awakening when he's not getting gifted PP's when someone breathes too close to him. No matter who they play, the west is rough. Suter, Subban, Josi, Gio, Burns, Keith, Seabrook, etc. There's going to be some black and blue bodies and I really don't think they're prepared for that.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:59 AM   #4604
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

the oilers and their smug faced fans are in for such an eye opening

Old 03-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #4605
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Enjoy it Oiler fans you had no adversity this year, no major injuries and a schedule heavy on teams on the second half of back to backs.

Because of that, you went from what 70 points to probably 95 plus.

Your team is the epitome of unsustainable because outside of the Hall for Larson deal you didn't change that much and you still had most of your forwards playing at the same level as last year.

McDavid and Draisaitl and Talbot carried your corpse up the mountain. But like the Titan who's punishment was pushing the rock up the hill only to see it slide back down after he reached the summit, the aptly named Sysyphus (Because McDavid is a diving sissy). This is your height, and the fall down is going to be delicious.

By the way, I have to say, that I'm loving Draisaitl's explosion lately (ching ching ching goes the cash register, 7 millionth floor or maybe more for a long term deal, cap hell with McDavid).

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #4606
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I normally would not do this BUT:

(from Alberta outdoorsmen)

{...Mcdavid is simply the next generation of a Gretzky. Speed, precision, leadership. And he has his Paul coffee in nurse, and his muscle in maroon, +point getter, and hair kuri in draisaitl. If they play like his through the playoffs they will take a cup.}

{...Giordano is getting old and slow, johnny can move and dangle but Oilers have some deep smart defence this year, and back checking forwards. Flames have been getting some good points end of season but they have a lot of rebuilding to do. Really i think it boils down to the mcdavid rush they are riding. They are playing with confidence. I think the defence could pinch a little more and keep high pressure, with the stong back check. But in the end, as long as mcdavid, draisaitl, and maroon stay healthy, and letestu and desarne keep second line strong we would overwhelm the flames. We've somehow become way too deep, and the flames can't ride three guys through the playoffs. Not to mention talbot has been an absolute phenom. Gonna be an interesting playoffs. Mcdavid will take some trophies home this year either way}

GOOD GOD!
The Following User Says Thank You to shotinthebacklund For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #4607
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was hoping to see them really obliterate the playoff drought record. Disappointment.

Then I'm reminded of all the lotteries they won and fall ass backwards into McDavid. Then I become bitter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #4608
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

can anyone point me to the post a few months back that listed all the major things that have happened since the last time the Oilers were in the playoffs. I'd love to see that again, Im sure there's quite a few things to add as well
Old 03-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #4609
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, I'm over it now. Like I said in the OOT the 10 years of futility was something special, so as it turns out Pierre McGuire was right in the end.

It took them 10 years to figure out to win in the NHL you have to play a 200 foot game and you can see the players now committing to it. They are no longer taking shots from anywhere just to improve their advanced stats or pad their stats.

The horseshoe that brought them McDavid was also a lottery that changed the entire inept hockey operation. It can not be said enough how those 4 ping pong balls changed the entire direction of that franchise. Had they not won that lottery McTavish would probably still be GM and we are probably talking several more years of monumental debacles.

Bring on the battle of Alberta.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #4610
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Oiler fans are so salty about this tweet. Just one example:

X - Stan Gilbert‏ @Snideguy
Anyone heard from @wyshynski since his ####### tweet last night? Not that I care, it'd just be a shame if he fell down a flight of stairs

Like, wtf? They are genuinely upset that people around the hockey world aren't chanting their names in the streets.

They can't really be surprised that a lot of people think it's a joke they won 67% of the lotteries in a six year span, can they? The tweet wasn't even offensive.

How DARE you mock my team!? This is the Oilers! Gretzky! Messier! MCJAYSUS!

Last edited by Ashasx; 03-29-2017 at 09:57 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #4611
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 03-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #4612
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Enjoy it Oiler fans you had no adversity this year, no major injuries and a schedule heavy on teams on the second half of back to backs.

Because of that, you went from what 70 points to probably 95 plus.
the pressure of making the playoffs after missing the playoffs for 10 straight year is major adversity

Quote:
Your team is the epitome of unsustainable because outside of the Hall for Larson deal you didn't change that much and you still had most of your forwards playing at the same level as last year.
Oilers defense in game 82 last year:
Sekera—Fayne
Nurse—Pardy
Oesterle—Reinhart

I see 2 players will on the Oilers roster today...yeah "not much change" indeed

Quote:
McDavid and Draisaitl and Talbot carried your corpse up the mountain. But like the Titan who's punishment was pushing the rock up the hill only to see it slide back down after he reached the summit, the aptly named Sysyphus (Because McDavid is a diving sissy). This is your height, and the fall down is going to be delicious.

By the way, I have to say, that I'm loving Draisaitl's explosion lately (ching ching ching goes the cash register, 7 millionth floor or maybe more for a long term deal, cap hell with McDavid).
so our best players were our best players...what a revelation!
Crosby, Malkin and Murray carry Pittburgh...OV, Backstrom and Holtby carry Washington...Toews, Kane and Keith carry Chicago
which good teams aren't carried by their best players?

anyways, Let's Go Oilers!! playoffs baby!

Last edited by AlbertaOiler72; 03-29-2017 at 09:41 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlbertaOiler72 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #4613
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
can anyone point me to the post a few months back that listed all the major things that have happened since the last time the Oilers were in the playoffs. I'd love to see that again, Im sure there's quite a few things to add as well
Funny - I posted this on FB yesterday:

"Life events since the Oilers last playoff game on June 19, 2006:

- Bought a condo, met (my wife), moved in with (my wife), proposed to (my wife), married (my wife), and started a family with (my wife).

- Travelled to Mexico (x2), Missoula, Seattle, the Maritimes (x3), Vancouver, Kelowna, Hong Kong, Thailand (leaving behind 3 teeth and who knows how much blood), the Yukon (x2), San Francisco, Yellowstone, and Yosemite.

- Drove the Pacific Coast highway through California and Oregon. Hiked the Chilkoot Trail. Took a houseboat vacation and spent multiple weeks at Fairmont Hotsprings.

- Blew out my knee, had knee surgery, and was diagnosed with arthritis.

- Went through 5 vehicles (Mazda Protege' 5, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Toyota Corolla, and 2 Toyota Rav 4's).

I'm finished. It's time to clinch - let's get it done tonight."
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #4614
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has to be the greatest thing to happen to Edmonton since they got a Cactus Club.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #4615
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
the pressure of making the playoffs after missing the playoffs for 10 straight year is major adversity
HA HA HA HA, you sound like the some girl on a reality show. Work is hard, making the playoffs is hard. Oh the pressure. Face it, it doesn't address the fact that the Oiler's have had very little adversity this year, they've been lucky in terms of injury and certainly in terms of a gifted schedule.

Quote:
Oilers defense in game 82 last year:
Sekera—Fayne
Nurse—Pardy
Oesterle—Reinhart

I see 2 players will on the Oilers roster today...yeah "not much change" indeed
All this shows is a lack of depth for the Oilers really, because you didn't mention that Klefbom was injured for example, as was Davidson that's not a change. you're team was exposed for a lack of depth. So what's changed, you didn't have injuries to expose your organizations lack of depth which you still have. The only real change was Larsson on the Blueline.

Quote:
so our best players were our best players...what a revelation!
Crosby, Malkin and Murray carry Pittburgh...OV, Backstrom and Holtby carry Washington...Toews, Kane and Keith carry Chicago
which good teams aren't carried by their best players?

anyways, Let's Go Oilers!! playoffs baby!
Bunk fiction, the Pens had those Star Players but managed to win the cups based on their depth as did the Blackhawks. The Pens didn't need MAF to be lights out super hero every night, and if Sid and Malkin had off nights or were hurt those teams, Chicago and Pittsburgh would have the ability to win games and carry on without those star players if need be.

If McDavid goes down for any length of time, the Oilers are a lottery team. Don't fool yourself or even try to equate the Oilers to the Pens or Blackhawks in terms of trajectory or direction of franchise. Its insulting to two teams that built off of high picks unlike the Oilers a tam that treated high draft picks like a heroin addiction and for the most part pissed them away.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #4616
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
This has to be the greatest thing to happen to Edmonton since they got a Cactus Club.
Not going to credit where you saw that?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #4617
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

Like, wtf? They are genuinely upset that people around the hockey world aren't chanting their names in the streets.
Don't worry Oiler fans, you'll always have this guy to pump your tires:

@DarrenDreger
The Oilers clinching punches my ticket for a first round front row seat out west. Looking forward to the run. #TSNHockey
The Following User Says Thank You to Nsd1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #4618
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I am giddy with glee to watch them crumple like wet tissue when they realize the aggressiveness/hitting/grinding is no where near the same in the playoffs as it is in the regular season. The only guy who really knows this on that team is Lucic. McDavid's in for a rude awakening when he's not getting gifted PP's when someone breathes too close to him. No matter who they play, the west is rough. Suter, Subban, Josi, Gio, Burns, Keith, Seabrook, etc. There's going to be some black and blue bodies and I really don't think they're prepared for that.
I don't know about that - I tried to watch the game last night objectively, and they have some big greasy players. I thought they pushed LA around. They are 5th in the NHL in hits.

Last edited by troutman; 03-29-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #4619
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Don't forget when they had a FCUK store.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #4620
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
the pressure of making the playoffs after missing the playoffs for 10 straight year is major adversity...
Wait. Is this a serious response?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Closed Thread