Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #61
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Wild in the 1st
Sharks in the 2nd
Chicago in the 3rd
And Pitt in the Finals
I can't think of any scenario where the Flames would play the Wild in the first round. Even if they drop to the second wild card, they cross over and play Chicago.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #62
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team I least want to face is Anaheim - not because I don't think we can beat them, but because even if we do beat them, we'll probably be too beat up to win the next round.

Chicago is obviously the best team in the west, but again, not afraid of them.

Every other potential matchup: SJS, EDM, MIN, NAS, STL I would think is a coin toss. The west is a dead heat this year and the Flames can not only beat any of these teams, but I think they can beat CHI and ANA as well (though for those two, they would be definite underdogs)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #63
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Wild in the 1st
Sharks in the 2nd
Chicago in the 3rd
And Pitt in the Finals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
I can't think of any scenario where the Flames would play the Wild in the first round. Even if they drop to the second wild card, they cross over and play Chicago.
The only way would be if the Wild jumped over the Hawks and won the division and Calgary dropped to the last wildcard. The free falling Wild would have to make up 7 points in 7 games on the Hawks, so not really much of a possibility there.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #64
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It is looking like we are getting Anaheim in the first round. Unless the Sharks full nose dive. Then we get the Oilers.

The only scenario that is looking unlikely is San Jose. In fact, Chicago is probably more likely at this point.

If the Oilers beat up on an exhausted San Jose team in the first round I will barf. We need to go 5-2 down the stretch.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #65
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont trust the refs to begin with but i would trust them even less in a series vs McTaintsniffer. Still cant get that penalty shot sequence from game 1 of the season out of my head.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #66
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The team I least want to face is Anaheim - not because I don't think we can beat them, but because even if we do beat them, we'll probably be too beat up to win the next round.
Agreed.

I'm hoping for the Ducks and Oil to play in the first round, so they can beat each other up. Kesler versus McDavid would probably be the most interesting player match up in the playoffs.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #67
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll do the obligatory preface of I don't think there are any easy first round match ups in the NHL (including the Oilers), all will be tough series to win. I'll also add though, that the way the Flames have been playing, I also think they have a realistic chance in any series they draw.

All that being said, I would definitely say there are harder match ups then others. Of the teams the Flames could actually draw in the first round (I'm counting the Wild out at this point), the Hawks and Ducks certainly represent a level of difficulty above any other options.

- The Hawks are IMO the best team in the west for sure, plus they have the playoff pedigree. For that reason they would be my least preferred opponent.

- The Ducks IMO aren't the Hawks. But stylistically we might not match up best against them, although I feel the Flames are starting to play heavy teams very well, and of course there is the Honda Centre curse. On top of that, they are red hot right now. Still, something tells me they aren't at the Hawks level, and I think this Flames team has the moxie to overcome their Ducks road woes if we played them, so I'd still prefer them to Chicago.

After that, I feel the Sharks and the Oilers are both a level below the above two.

- I think I'd pick the Sharks as 2nd choice. Despite better regular season success vs. the Sharks, and the fact they seam to be on a tail spin, they know how to get it done, and won't be in awe in the first round. I really like our chances with the Sharks, but they are still a good team that knows how to win a series.

- Which makes the Oilers my top pick. I'd assume the Flames would likely be the Oilers first pick as well which would make sense. End of the day, despite the 4 losses this year, I don't think we played the Oilers since the team and especially Elliott has figured things out. After that, I think the Oilers are for the most part a 2 player show in McDavid and Talbot. And I agree with Duha on the Fan today, I really like the Flames chances the way they are playing right now to find a way to really limit McDavid and then letting our better depth be the difference. On top of that, very limited playoff experience on that roster, especially from their key players.

I will say, a BOA would be a far more stressful series then any of the others, as the stakes for us fans would be high, but I think it's our best odds at the 2nd round
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 02:39 AM   #68
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wild in the 1st
Sharks in the 2nd
Chicago in the 3rd
And Pitt in the Finals
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The only way would be if the Wild jumped over the Hawks and won the division and Calgary dropped to the last wildcard. The free falling Wild would have to make up 7 points in 7 games on the Hawks, so not really much of a possibility there.
There is another way for a Wild-Flames 1st round series. The Flames come 1st in the Pacific Division for the #2 seed and the Wild drop to 7th place in the conference (4th in their division).
Old 03-28-2017, 02:57 AM   #69
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is looking like we are getting Anaheim in the first round. Unless the Sharks full nose dive. Then we get the Oilers.

The only scenario that is looking unlikely is San Jose. In fact, Chicago is probably more likely at this point.

If the Oilers beat up on an exhausted San Jose team in the first round I will barf. We need to go 5-2 down the stretch.
It's still too close to call for who's playing who in the 1st round and the Sharks could easily be playing the Flames.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 02:57 AM   #70
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
There is another way for a Wild-Flames 1st round series. The Flames come 1st in the Pacific Division for the #2 seed and the Wild drop to 7th place in the conference (4th in their division).
Yep and this would allow the Sharks in the 2nd round. Not at all likely but possible.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:46 AM   #71
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

After witnessing 2004 and knocking off better and better teams I don't buy into bad match ups much anymore.

Bring on anyone I say. I'd rather take down a monster like the ducks without any significant bumps and bruises and then go from there.

The Charks aren't going to be the threat people still talk about
The Wild ....maybe....struggling as of late
B hawks...strong but not as dominant as years past

Anything can and will happen in the playoffs as we have all seen.

I still look at the Pens from last year and smh.....Murray was great no doubt but that team wasn't in my mind a world beater yet they're the champs....defending champs.

Go Flames go.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #72
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
It's still too close to call for who's playing who in the 1st round and the Sharks could easily be playing the Flames.
It could happen, but not looking likely. Oil would have to drop to the wildcard. Don't see that happening with their sched. Anaheim looks pretty locked in at #1. Again, maybe not, but I'd give the other 3 teams collectively <50% chance of unseating them at this point.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #73
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

None of the top 4 Pacific teams are "locked in"

2 weeks ago it looked like SJ was a lock for the division win. Anaheim could lose the next 4 games for all we know and then the outlook changes entirely.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #74
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Flames somehow work themselves into a home ice advantage for round 1.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #75
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I hope the Flames somehow work themselves into a home ice advantage for round 1.
for home ice I think they need to go 5-1 or 4-1-1. Maybe 4-2 if both the oil and sharks struggle.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #76
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Best Playoff Matchup?

I would just like to point out that since November 15th (5 weeks into the season- an average time it takes for a team to adjust to a new coach)

The Flames are 38-19-3. Good for 79 points over 60 games, which over the pace of a full 82 game schedule is 107 points.

Since November 15 the Flames own the fourth best record in the league, only trailing Columbus, Washington, and Pittsburgh (what a year for the metro division). That's best in the west. The Flames also have a +25 goal differential over that time.

In the same time frame Anaheim owns the 7th best record, San Jose owns the 9th best record, and Edmonton owns the 11th best record.

Monahan has 50 points in 60 games over that stretch and Gaudreau has 48 in 50.

If anything, the rest of the pacific division should be afraid of playing the Flames. Can't wait for playoffs to start no matter who the Flames are playing!

Last edited by bax; 03-28-2017 at 10:58 AM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #77
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

in my mind, the best case scenario will be flames getting the 1st wildcard spot, with the sharks winning the division. I feel the flames match up well against them, better than they do vs the ducks/oilers.

Let the ducks/oilers kill each other in the first round, and let's see what happens round 2.

I also like that the flames look to be underdogs regardless of who they face in round 1.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #78
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read somewhere that the Ducks recent run could be unsustainable as they have been 27th in CF% during their surge. Having said that unless we win on April 4th that team still worries me
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #79
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I dont trust the refs to begin with but i would trust them even less in a series vs McTaintsniffer. Still cant get that penalty shot sequence from game 1 of the season out of my head.
Yeah, multiple penalties for giving McSavior dirty looks would cause my mind to come adrift from its moorings.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #80
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I would just like to point out that since November 15th (5 weeks into the season- an average time it takes for a team to adjust to a new coach)

The Flames are 38-19-3. Good for 79 points over 60 games, which over the pace of a full 82 game schedule is 107 points.

Since November 15 the Flames own the fourth best record in the league, only trailing Columbus, Washington, and Pittsburgh (what a year for the metro division). That's best in the west. The Flames also have a +25 goal differential over that time.

In the same time frame Anaheim owns the 7th best record, San Jose owns the 9th best record, and Edmonton owns the 11th best record.

Monahan has 50 points in 60 games over that stretch and Gaudreau has 48 in 50.

If anything, the rest of the pacific division should be afraid of playing the Flames. Can't wait for playoffs to start no matter who the Flames are playing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I read somewhere that the Ducks recent run could be unsustainable as they have been 27th in CF% during their surge. Having said that unless we win on April 4th that team still worries me
Out of curiosity, what are the Flames advanced/possession type stat thingys like since they turned the corner according to bax post above?

Are we "sustainable" now?
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
bax