Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #3281
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I'll probably get jumped on this because its obvious, but one count includes 9/11; the other doesn't.
That doesn't make sense either. But it's tough to know what people are citing as terror attacks and what aren't since it is such a nebulous thing.

Example, are we only counting Islamic terrorist attacks, or other groups? Does Boko Haram count or only attacks on the west? Who is defining this anyway?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #3282
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
The gunman had known Isis links and it's been reported from a few sources as a "terror attack".
such as?
as far as I can tell it was false news, much like the few sources you reference.
anyways, please provide some proof of his ISIS links.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #3283
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Little off topic but what's going on in Ontario?

http://globalnews.ca/news/3333517/ev...o-study-warns/
Yeah, they are going to have to narrow down the causes of injuries and from what types of firearms.

Airsoft, BB guns, paint markers ect are not classified as firearms.

"guns shouldn’t be in homes with children present, Saunders said, and if they are, they should be stored safely, locked away and separated from ammunition."

Of course they should be stored safely away. The firearms act dictates that they need to be, failure to do so is a criminal charge. They call for stricter laws but fail to outline any, and from reading the article I wonder how familiar they are with C-66 to begin with.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #3284
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Little off topic but what's going on in Ontario?

http://globalnews.ca/news/3333517/ev...o-study-warns/
It's a scare piece with a misleading title (encompasses more that just gun violence). Their stats include things such as BB guns, airsoft and paintball and take people up to age 24 into account.

The study's lead author even admits there is no context given to their stats and claims that "it is the next thing to do". Makes you wonder why this needed to come out now, without context, instead of including context into this study.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #3285
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Uncle Bobs Airsoft Ranch is just a disgusting hell hole of gun violence. Moar laws!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #3286
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
such as?
as far as I can tell it was false news, much like the few sources you reference.
anyways, please provide some proof of his ISIS links.
Sigh. False news like CNN? Come on man. This wasn't like gang members running around the streets of Detroit. Do you honestly think this wasn't a terror attack??? How about you provide proof it wasn't.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn....ing/index.html

Included is where they state he called 911 pledging allegiance to Isis. Also included is Obama himself declaring it a terror attack.......

Wikipedia also cites it as a terror attack. Admittedly not the best source but usually a good reference point for what it would widely be regarded as.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 03-27-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #3287
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
That doesn't make sense either. But it's tough to know what people are citing as terror attacks and what aren't since it is such a nebulous thing.

Example, are we only counting Islamic terrorist attacks, or other groups? Does Boko Haram count or only attacks on the west? Who is defining this anyway?
The attached link from START clearly indicates how the number came to be.

More broadly, 3,066 Americans have been killed in terrorist attacks from 9/11/2001 through 12/31/2014, including perpetrators and excluding deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq. 2,961 of these deaths occurred on American soil. 2,902 of these deaths occurred during the attacks on September 11, 2001.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #3288
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He pledged allegiance to ISIS in a phone call to authorities and that makes him a member of ISIS?

He was gay and couldn't accept that due to the religious BS against gays he had been brought up with. Combine that with, he was bipolar and had easy access to guns, I would say this had more to do with crazy person with gun, than ISIS member commits terrorist attack.

Obama said it was an act of terror, but if that was a terrorist attack, so was Charleston. Homegrown terrorists.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #3289
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
He pledged allegiance to ISIS in a phone call to authorities and that makes him a member of ISIS?

He was gay and couldn't accept that due to the religious BS against gays he had been brought up with. Combine that with, he was bipolar and had easy access to guns, I would say this had more to do with crazy person with gun, than ISIS member commits terrorist attack.

Obama said it was an act of terror, but if that was a terrorist attack, so was Charleston. Homegrown terrorists.
Well wouldn't those count as terror attacks though? That's why I'm skeptical that only 158 people have died from Terror attacks like Pepsifree quoted. What constitutes a terror attack and are we being honest with that number?

He may not be an official Isis member but he himself pledged allegiance to their cause. For that reason I'd think it should be counted as a terror attack given the very unofficial and nebulous way Isis defines itself.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #3290
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Well wouldn't those count as terror attacks though? That's why I'm skeptical that only 158 people have died from Terror attacks like Pepsifree quoted. What constitutes a terror attack and are we being honest with that number?

He may not be an official Isis member but he himself pledged allegiance to their cause. For that reason I'd think it should be counted as a terror attack given the very unofficial and nebulous way Isis defines itself.
I agree with everything you've said, and would probably count more attacks as terrorism than the average person because I am admittedly cynical, skeptical, and pessimistic about Islam.

Can I get thrown in jail for saying that now?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #3291
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't include domestic terrorists.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #3292
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't include domestic terrorists.
Well it isn't really clear. However even if it was, why shouldn't the number include domestic terrorism though? The person is a domestic terrorist but seems to have believed in radical Islamic ideology. Why wouldn't that attack count in the numbers? The attack appears to be inspired by it.

For the gun deaths, should we randomly exclude a subset of gun deaths then? Say like any gun deaths related to hunting or accidental?
Old 03-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #3293
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well it isn't really clear. However even if it was, why shouldn't the number include domestic terrorism though? The person is a domestic terrorist but seems to have believed in radical Islamic ideology. Why wouldn't that attack count in the numbers? The attack appears to be inspired by it.
ask the NRAPublicans.

But I think mental issues are more prevalent than radical Islamic ideology.

Was Robert Lewis Dear jr. a radical American xtian terrorist and would that count?
Old 03-27-2017, 03:10 PM   #3294
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

NSFW

Old 03-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #3295
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

For the gun deaths, should we randomly exclude a subset of gun deaths then? Say like any gun deaths related to hunting or accidental?
I'll clarify my sources when I'm home, but the guns deaths number didn't not include suicide or any accidental deaths (including hunting).

The comparison remains. Terrorism claims "tens" of American lives each year on average, while gun homicide of Americans claims thousands. The difference of severity between each issue is extreme.

Right-wing Americans don't care about Americans being murdered. They just don't like it when a Muslim does it.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #3296
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Two dead, two wounded at an elementary school in San Bernadino. This appears to be a domestic incident, and murder suicide: http://ktla.com/2017/04/10/multiple-...officials-say/
Old 04-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #3297
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

One of the kids shot was 8 years old, passed away. Brutal stuff.

Quote:
The two students struck by gunfire were standing behind Smith, the police chief said.

Jonathan Martinez, 8, died at Loma Linda University Medical Center in Loma Linda after being airlifted from the school, the police chief said. The other student, a 9-year-old boy, was listed in stable condition at the medical center, according to the hospital.
Police do not believe the two children were targeted; they happened to be near the teacher.

Burguan said that at the time of the shooting there were 15 students from grades one through four in the special needs classroom, along with two adult aides.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/10/us/san...ing/index.html
Old 04-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #3298
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any radical Islamic terrorists shoot anyone in America today?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #3299
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Nell Scovell‏@NellSco
Why are we more shocked and outraged by a passenger getting dragged off a plane than an 8-year-old shot at school?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #3300
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Nell Scovell‏@NellSco
Why are we more shocked and outraged by a passenger getting dragged off a plane than an 8-year-old shot at school?
One is freedom, the other is oppression.