Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #41
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Honest question, lets say the guy stood up and said he had a bomb while the cops were rushing in?

What were the cops going to do? Shoot? But what if it was a timed bomb? How would they know where the bomb was if they did shoot and kill him? or even if there was another threat on board? I don't think this was the best way to handle the situation.

To me, you don't take him lightly but you also don't handle it coming in busting in like that. If he does stand up and even takes a hostage this situation becomes a whole lot different and I don't think those cops would be able to apprehend the subject without shooting a few innocent people along the way.

I think an undercover unit should have stepped on the plane and talked to the flight crew and then apprehended the subject with the Swat team waiting at the ready if needed.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #42
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Honest question, lets say the guy stood up and said he had a bomb while the cops were rushing in?

What were the cops going to do? Shoot? But what if it was a timed bomb? How would they know where the bomb was if they did shoot and kill him? or even if there was another threat on board? I don't think this was the best way to handle the situation.

To me, you don't take him lightly but you also don't handle it coming in busting in like that. If he does stand up and even takes a hostage this situation becomes a whole lot different and I don't think those cops would be able to apprehend the subject without shooting a few innocent people along the way.

I think an undercover unit should have stepped on the plane and talked to the flight crew and then apprehended the subject with the Swat team waiting at the ready if needed.
Easy answer. Shoot him. There is the possibility that the police were using LTL ammunition, otherwise it would be frangible ammunition that isn't going to exit the subject's body. The rounds coming from the officer's firearms go where they are aimed.

Take the remaining passengers off in custody, sequester the plane in an isolated part of the airport and sweep it with dogs.

Your idea of a UC unit is pointless and puts the lives of everyone on board at greater risk. If he does have accomplices on board who have not made their presence known they are going to act. Overwhelming force and the ability to employ necessary force immediately works much better.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote