Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Hyundai Santa Fe XL

We are looking at upsizing our vehicle and my wife is pretty set on not getting a minivan even though we have two kids. Anyways we took a look at the 6 seater Santa Fe and like it a fair bit. Does anyone have one and can comment on it? The reviews are actually really good but maybe it is just the stigma as I am somewhat skeptical. Good warrenty though. Thanks!
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If it had a bit more head room, we might have gotten that instead of the Highlander.

I quite liked it and from the reviews, so does the rest of the world.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, I actually like it a fair bit and the reviews are great. Looked at a Pathfinder but it felt much bigger and apparently there are issues with the tranny as well. Thanks
Old 07-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
The reviews are actually really good but maybe it is just the stigma as I am somewhat skeptical.
Hyundai used to be a terrible car company. They've really turned themselves around though - I'd have no problem purchasing one now.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can only speak to our experience. We have a 2008 Entourage (their mini van), and before that had a Santa Fe. My wife drove both vehicles.

We have had no problems with either vehicle, not one penny spent on work to the vehicle, other than regular maintenance.

Our experience has been positive.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

What's with women not liking minivans? A Sienna or Odyssey would be better in every single conceivable way than the Sante Fe. That being said, I wouldn't have a problem with owning the Hyundai if there's no way you can make her see the light on the van.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
What's with women not liking minivans? A Sienna or Odyssey would be better in every single conceivable way than the Sante Fe. That being said, I wouldn't have a problem with owning the Hyundai if there's no way you can make her see the light on the van.
I don't get it either. I'd proudly drive around in an Odyssey. Price point is similar, way more practical and more space. Better fuel economy too! I still have a chance to convince her though.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Women don't want a minivan because they think it puts them into the soccer-mom category. When in reality you look at what those moms are driving, and its exactly the bubbly Santa Fe type crossovers that they all have. Look at most minivan drivers, and it seems like its mostly men these days, ha. I would totally rock an Odyssey over a crossover too.

The Santa Fe does seem like a nice option though if that's the segment you need to work with.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Mom has a Santa Fe, she loves it.

I can't speak to long term reliability and TCO...too soon

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Women don't want a minivan because they think it puts them into the soccer-mom category. When in reality you look at what those moms are driving, and its exactly the bubbly Santa Fe type crossovers that they all have. Look at most minivan drivers, and it seems like its mostly men these days, ha. I would totally rock an Odyssey over a crossover too.

The Santa Fe does seem like a nice option though if that's the segment you need to work with.
Yeah, my enthusiast friends own minivans, and the people in my crew that are clueless about cars all have crossover-type SUVs. It's bizarre.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I actually like it a fair bit and the reviews are great. Looked at a Pathfinder but it felt much bigger and apparently there are issues with the tranny as well. Thanks
The CVT issues should send you RUNNING from the Pathfinder.

I'd look at a Highlander and an Explorer as well. I liked the Explorer, but couldn't get passed the 6" gap between the seat and the door.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post

I'd look at a Highlander and an Explorer as well. I liked the Explorer, but couldn't get passed the 6" gap between the seat and the door.
Quoted for truth. We have a Infiniti JX35/QX60 (lux'ed up Pathfinder) and the CVT is a POS. It shudders in low speed, hot weather conditions when turning left and I've had it replaced twice.

Supposedly they are on revision F (the 6th!!) of the tranny and it's cured the problem, but I'd wait a year to see if that's true... (I have a Rev F tranny in my car - I also have the newest transmission )

Last edited by BigNumbers; 07-25-2014 at 09:57 AM.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #13
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post

Yeah, definitely not interested in the CVT.

I'm trying to stay below 40K and both the Highlander and Explorer are a bit pricier than that I believe. We'll probably end up with the Santa Fe...
Old 07-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We didn't drive the XL, but took the Sport for a test drive.
We found the turbo to be really laggy and jerky upon acceleration.

Does the XL have a turbo as well? If so, does it have the same problem?

We ended up buying a used Highlander instead.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #15
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm trying to stay below 40K and both the Highlander and Explorer are a bit pricier than that I believe.
Obligatory "go used and save $$$" suggestion. I would imagine the Explorer has a nice depreciation curve, although then newest gen hasn't been around for that long though. I do see several 2013s on Autotrader in the low/mid 30s.

Hyundai does give you great value though. I don't think think anything they do is particularly great, but they are a really good option for people who like to have as much "stuff" for their dollar as possible.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #16
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The most popular vehicle brands in the Canadian junkyards are hyundais and kias. So no
Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #17
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Obligatory "go used and save $$$" suggestion. I would imagine the Explorer has a nice depreciation curve, although then newest gen hasn't been around for that long though. I do see several 2013s on Autotrader in the low/mid 30s.

Hyundai does give you great value though. I don't think think anything they do is particularly great, but they are a really good option for people who like to have as much "stuff" for their dollar as possible.
Yeah, I really don't like buying new cars. Like really hate. They are offering 0% financing though so I want to take advantage of that and the 5 year bumper to bumper warrenty is appealing as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
We didn't drive the XL, but took the Sport for a test drive.
We found the turbo to be really laggy and jerky upon acceleration.

Does the XL have a turbo as well? If so, does it have the same problem?

We ended up buying a used Highlander instead.
The XL has a V6, 290 HP. The reviews I have read and watched on youtube are really good. Gas efficiency not so much.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #19
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, my enthusiast friends own minivans, and the people in my crew that are clueless about cars all have crossover-type SUVs. It's bizarre.

thanked for "my crew"
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #20
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just took a long road trip in a brand new Santa Fe XL and loved it (granted I was passenger). Seating for 7 if you count the middle bench seat.

This Santa Fe was fully loaded and I really came to love the cooled seats. Also I don't really care about it, but heated rear seats could be quite the feature for those with kids.

For 40k the interior was very nice looking, although definitely not luxury as things like the interior door handles didn't appear to be the highest quality.

As Table5 said, it gives you the most "stuff" for your dollar. It's an option I'll be looking at when I go to purchase a new vehicle in a year or so.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Temporary_User For This Useful Post: