Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #21
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless the prison system in the United States stops operating like a business, using it for credit production, there will continue to be crowded jails, state sanctioned murder and abused court systems.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/molly-...b_2735980.html

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 07-24-2014 at 02:31 PM.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #22
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
So it costs a ton of money for the execution and it doesn't cost a ton of money to keep him in jail for life?
The legal process for a death penalty inmate is way higher than a guy who gets a life sentence.

Defending a death penalty case costs about four times as much as defending a case where the death penalty is not sought, according to a new study by the Kansas Judicial Council.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #23
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The death penalty channels the American, eye for an eye, tooth for tooth, revenge mentality. I can't see them getting rid of it completely, simply because victims families quite often want to see these guys writhe in agony on their way out.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Pretty much.

it costs more money to execute someone than to give them life without parole.

It costs more than twice as much to house an inmate on deathrow than in gen pop and upwards of 4 times as much in trial costs.

Removing the dealth penalty in the state of colorado would save the state government 5 billion dollars in court related fees over 20 years.
Its the American way, its Reaganomics and the trickle-down effect.

Sure, the court costs become outrageous but the lawyers and judges have to pay tax on that income which the Government gets back and then those lawyers and judges will spend their extra disposable income and inject it right back into the economy.

So really...they should be killing more people in order to stimulate the economy.

'Murica!!?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #25
WesternCanadaKing
Giver of Calculators

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
EU is culpable in this by trying to impose their values on the US by banning the export of the drug they used.
The EU is not even a little bit culpable. They can sell or not sell their goods to whomever for whatever reason they like. Its the US' decision to execute people, there is no imposition there.
WesternCanadaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #26
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Both are barbaric. One act does not excuse the other.
I am not weighing in on the death penalty issue but I find it ridiculous that people say the death penalty is barbaric when it is a total pos that killed two innocent people. If somebody's dog attacks a person and kills them and the dog is destroyed would you be all up in arms saying that is barbaric? I don't think so. And please do not give me the whole "but this is a human being" argument either, people who do things like that do not fit into my definition of humanity. Let's all feel sorry for this guy instead of the victims and their families.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #27
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not put prisoners to work? Put them in a Nike sweatshop for 25 years-life. At least then their giving back to the society they took from, rather than just taking more.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #28
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Sure, the court costs become outrageous but the lawyers and judges have to pay tax on that income which the Government gets back and then those lawyers and judges will spend their extra disposable income and inject it right back into the economy.

So really...they should be killing more people in order to stimulate the economy.

'Murica!!?
We all know that Lawyers use the tax law to pay the least amount of tax they can. Terrible spin! TERRIBLE! ...
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #29
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
http://globalnews.ca/news/1470617/ar...lmost-2-hours/

Ridiculous. What a barbaric way for a society to act. And yeah, I know this is rare and is the exception....I just don't care. The death penalty is a black mark on whichever country uses it.

I don't think it is a deterrent, studies show that right? So what's the point? It costs a ton of money, and it can clearly be inhumane.
How can an act be inhumane against a monster?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #30
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Why not put prisoners to work? Put them in a Nike sweatshop for 25 years-life. At least then their giving back to the society they took from, rather than just taking more.
Diamond mines in NWT? Where they gonna run to?
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #31
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
How can an act be inhumane against a monster?
Do unto others.

Moral high ground disappears when you engage in the same act you're attemping to punish.

Like hitting your kids for hitting each other.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #32
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just remember, it's a dry heat!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #33
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

'Murica!!?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arya Stark For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #34
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Diamond mines in NWT? Where they gonna run to?
Yeah that works too.

I really don't understand how something like this hasn't been implimented. Yeah sometimes there's road crews and what not, but not institute it on a wide scale and partner with some companies that obviously don't care about their human capital anyways? Chain them to a sewing machine. Maybe if they get on good behaviour they can be garbage men or something. Make them a benefit and not a detriment all the way through.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Warden Norton? Is that you?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #36
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Do not confuse my dislike of the death penalty and sympathy for this man. He should be in jail for life, not strapped to a gurney struggling to die for two hours.
I know that's your point. There's a lot of injustice that goes on in the US, this one should be addressed and I'm sure it will be soon. Its not in my top 10 things wrong with the US though. I'm not outraged that this guy suffered, but if it can be avoided it should. Firing squad, hanging, guillotine, whatever.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #37
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Do unto others.

Moral high ground disappears when you engage in the same act you're attemping to punish.

Like hitting your kids for hitting each other.
Again, I am not advocating the death penalty, I can see both arguments. I am saying lets not turn this monster into a victim. Also, what is more humane really, going to sleep and never waking up or being stuck in a cell with no freedom for the rest of your life. Both are pretty inhumane. You can argue all day what is reasonable to do with these individuals.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #38
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
bullet in the head is best for everybody, including the taxpayer
I used to be Mr. Death penalty myself, but if so much as one innocent person is executed, the system is a total failure.

I do believe long serving or life sentenced prisoners should be given the option for a humane form assisted suicide though. You have a choice, do the time, or you can leave the Earth. I bet a ton of lifers would take the assisted suicide option if they could do it on their own terms.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #39
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that works too.

I really don't understand how something like this hasn't been implimented. Yeah sometimes there's road crews and what not, but not institute it on a wide scale and partner with some companies that obviously don't care about their human capital anyways? Chain them to a sewing machine. Maybe if they get on good behaviour they can be garbage men or something. Make them a benefit and not a detriment all the way through.
This idea is something I have always liked. Make them a slave to society. Still treat them fairly and follow all laws but make them work and their wages go towards a victim fund or something like that.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #40
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

This judge nailed it a few days ago (he's against executions). If you're going to have them, why not do so in a virtually guaranteed way? Oh yeah, cause lethal injections are designed to make the death penalty seem less barbaric

Quote:
"Using drugs meant for individuals with medical needs to carry out executions is a misguided effort to mask the brutality of executions by making them look serene and peaceful — like something any one of us might experience in our final moments," Judge Alex Kozinski of the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals wrote.

"But executions are, in fact, nothing like that. They are brutal, savage events, and nothing the state tries to do can mask that reality. Nor should it. If we as a society want to carry out executions, we should be willing to face the fact that the state is committing a horrendous brutality on our behalf."

Kozinski went on to suggest that states that want to continue executing prisoners "return to more primitive — and foolproof — methods of execution."

"The guillotine is probably best but seems inconsistent with our national ethos. And the electric chair, hanging and the gas chamber are each subject to occasional mishaps," he continued. "The firing squad strikes me as the most promising. Eight or ten large-caliber rifle bullets fired at close range can inflict massive damage, causing instant death every time."
http://www.nbcnews.com/#/storyline/l...utions-n161641