Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #3021
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Blockbuster went bankrupt due to piracy and methods such as Netflix and VOD. The convenience of not having to leave your own home.

Not because their video game rental model was flawed...

Back on topic...

My Xbone collect dust. I have been playing it more lately with the release of Drogons Teeth for BF4, but I have been debating trading in both BF4 and Forza Collectors edition and just outting the money on some pre orders.. The Division delay is a kick in the nuts but the fact I have a Xbox Gold Membership, activated in Nov 13, and I have maybe 15 hours played on the system is a huge piss off too...

And of course im deploying for a bit right before the release of NHL 15... FFS....

Last edited by IgiTang; 07-18-2014 at 09:02 AM.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #3022
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Don't think that's surprising at all. The 360 has a large user base already and without any titles to convince majority of people to make the switch early, they might as well enjoy the available titles on their 360's
Heh, maybe it is indeed like the Mehdi guy from Microsoft explaining sales numbers by saying that people are so satisfied with the 360 they have no need to upgrade to the Xbone. Doesn't fully explain why the PS4 versions are outselling 360, PS3 and Xbone games though (the PS3 certainly has a large user base as well) - but I kinda get what you are saying, I think.

Anyhow, here is the leaked software list. Platforms are listed in order of best selling to worst.

1. Watch Dogs (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, PC)
2. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
3. Minecraft (360, PS3)
4. UFC (PS4, Xbox One)
5. FIFA 14 (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, Vita)
6. NBA 2K14 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
8. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
9. Tomodachi Life (3DS)
10. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #3023
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing overly surprising but here are benchmark numbers for the two "new" consoles and against some GPU's. Interesting how roles have reversed from the 360 & PS3 generation where the Xbone looks to need more developer effort to optimize the hardware but yet still will not keep up to the PS4.

PC master race continues to trample every one else (if you have the money to upgrade as needed).

Spoiler!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:24 AM   #3024
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last of Us at PS3 versus PS4 aka "You can't notice 1080p and 60fps if you sit far enough back".

Highly recommend downloading the gamersyde file rather than streaming the inevitably terrible youtube frame rate capped and artifact filled feeds.

http://www.gamersyde.com/thqstream_l...GDp9g2_en.html
Old 07-26-2014, 01:12 AM   #3025
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of Last of Us, EB Games has decided to duplicate Gamestop's promo from the States. Trade in your PS3 copy of Last of Us for a PS4 copy for $24.99. Runs from July 29 to Aug 4.

LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #3026
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

"Remastering" a one-year-old game seems goofy to me. But, good news is that it appears I will be able to pick up a really cheap PS3 copy from EB Games soon.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #3027
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
"Remastering" a one-year-old game seems goofy to me. But, good news is that it appears I will be able to pick up a really cheap PS3 copy from EB Games soon.
Don't we get "Game of the Year" editions all the time now? And even for games that are not remotely a GOTY candidate.

I think it's nice they've gone back and bumped up the textures and performance versus the original, it's certainly not something you get with most other GOTY editions. But we are in the midst of the new console generation transition after all.

To be fair, I've never gone and bought a base version of game once they put out a compiled GOTY edition (maybe the rare time steam screws up and the base game plus all the DLC is cheaper during a sale). Or bought a cheaper DVD knowing the Blu-Ray version is out.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #3028
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
For someone like me, who owned an Xbox 360 last generation, and therefore could not experience this game so many called "Game of the year", it makes me excited to be able to now play it on my PS4. I had briefly considered buying a PS3 just to play this game, then I found out I don't have to.

I would imagine the PS4 release more about capturing a second wave of first time players, rather than expecting people who played it on PS3 to be eager to replay again on PS4.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #3029
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Last of Us at PS3 versus PS4 aka "You can't notice 1080p and 60fps if you sit far enough back".

Highly recommend downloading the gamersyde file rather than streaming the inevitably terrible youtube frame rate capped and artifact filled feeds.

http://www.gamersyde.com/thqstream_l...GDp9g2_en.html
You're coming off a bit silly there - you're comparing machines that are 7 years apart as though the only improvement is the resolution and frame-rate?

Also:
Quote:
This video is for a game under an embargo and won't be visible until 2014-07-28 10:00:00 CEST
Awesome.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #3030
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
You're coming off a bit silly there - you're comparing machines that are 7 years apart as though the only improvement is the resolution and frame-rate?

Also:Awesome.
Heh, I just loved the hilarious comments earlier in the thread claiming that people couldn't possibly tell the difference between the resolutions and frame rates so they wouldn't matter to consumers. I'm certainly being a little sarcastic there.

Ahhh too bad they were forced to take down those videos. I'm sure you can still find them on neogaf and such.

Got a chance to chat again with the Naughty Dog guys yesterday, really looking forward to their live event on Monday.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #3031
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
For someone like me, who owned an Xbox 360 last generation, and therefore could not experience this game so many called "Game of the year", it makes me excited to be able to now play it on my PS4. I had briefly considered buying a PS3 just to play this game, then I found out I don't have to.

I would imagine the PS4 release more about capturing a second wave of first time players, rather than expecting people who played it on PS3 to be eager to replay again on PS4.
This. I never had a PS2 so I missed out on the first two God of War games, so when I saw Sony releasing remastered versions of both for the PS3 shortly before GoW 3 I was all over that. Seems like a no brainer to re-release the biggest game franchises for an older generation when the new one comes out
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:28 AM   #3032
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Microsoft has a pretty big presence here at Comic-Con. The hall in the Hyatt is filled with games and lots of people in there with their kids. Funny green screen stuff for people to take pictures with Halo props promoting the upcoming MCC. Damn sad to see Fantasia on a single console in the middle of the room with nobody even looking at it; the screen was black and dead. (I'm guessing something wasn't working but nobody was trying to even fix it).

Sony essentially has no presence here in San Diego. Maybe they don't need it? But they're missing a pretty big audience here.

Nintendo is killing it though. The space is smaller than Microsoft at the Mariott but holy poop the place is doubly packed. People lining up to play Smash especially. That thing is going to push more console sales for sure. The Wii U is saved, again!

EDIT: Oh and this:

Old 07-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #3033
zedge
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Want
zedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #3034
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:

Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Violator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #3035
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post

A review for the Remastered version is out. IGN with the perfect score
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...astered-review
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #3036
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is wrong with releasing a version of a game on a new console with better graphics? I really don't get why anyone would complain...if you don't like it don't buy it

the ironic thing is most of the complaints are from people who don't even own the system...so whats the problem? Gelly?

GTA5 is being released on the new consoles and PC....problem?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #3037
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
honestly is this a joke? because its cablebox one?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #3038
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
honestly is this a joke? because its cablebox one?

They were promoting their HBO app at Comic-Con. Hey had a couch for people to watch the first season of Game of Thrones.

It was funny, a bunch of kids were hovering hoping to see some boobs.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #3039
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default XBone Vs PS4 Vs PC - VIDEOGAME POLITICS THUNDERDOME - PS4:900p-XBone:720p-PC:...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
A review for the Remastered version is out. IGN with the perfect score
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...astered-review

There are a lot of people in line already for their live event. And it is always neat to chat with the Naughty Dog guys, they're really nice. Saw them wheeling some swag in, I'd imagine it is for the game itself but we'll find out soon enough.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:59 PM   #3040
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They were promoting their HBO app at Comic-Con. Hey had a couch for people to watch the first season of Game of Thrones.

It was funny, a bunch of kids were hovering hoping to see some boobs.
kinda funny, I actually thought it was a joke about how its a cable box...I can watch game of thrones on my phone seriously this company has to get back to games.

I dont need a $400 console to watch a tv show thanks